U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 PM

3,447 posts, read 5,590,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm pretty sure FL has been a red state until the recent election, and I bet it'd turn back to red if we could all vote again.
You and I both know that it's neither a true "Red" nor "Blue" state, it's a swing state and therefore Purple. Florida went blue for Obama, Blue for Gore v Bush and Red for Bush v Kerry. So out of the last 4 elections cycles, it's clear to see that Florida is 50/50 when it comes to voting. The contention I was making is that Florida's population is actually a lot more Blue than elections results show but for what ever reason that crowd doesn't like to show up on election day to change this state for good (they'd rather just gripe on message borads, radio shows, and letters to the editor). I only know a few hard-core conservatives (as you'll have anywhere) and spend most of my time talking to moderates and liberals. Don't get me wrong, I;m a big time moderate and I'm part of the reason Florida swings so much, I see the good ideas on both sides of the isle. However, if everbody who moved to Florida from heavily Blue states like NY, IL, and NJ got involved with politics in their new home, this state would be solidly blue for ages to come. Not to mention extremism in the Govenor's Mansion is going to push independents like me back to the left by slashing funding for teachers, police, and other hard working government employees who provide NEEDED services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,986,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
I don't know why you posted this in Orlando versus "Florida". Orlando is MOSTLY out of the question for you because of the tourisim. You can't support the international community the way Orlando does without at least disguising conservative values. A lot of residents don't take to pretenses and are proud to ditch the projection of conservative values and take pride in their ability to service internationals. Some might go to church and everything on Sunday, but for most of them even it's whatever makes the customer happy come Monday. Now if you head out towards Clermont, and some of the other previous bastions of conservative areas, you might be able to do 'ok' for whatever that's worth. If you are looking to stay insulated though; you need to look to the panhandle. The news coverage of what happens in Orlando is enough to make most conservatives wince if not have an all out anxiety attack.
Clermont is NOT a bastion of conservative values. You obviously haven't visited in a while, we've got tattoo parlors, fun new night clubs, those Internet gambling storefronts (I wish they'd close them!), a brewery, and more. Frankly most of the people I know in Clermont who are Christian are not members of a very conservative church--in fact the largest church in the area is pretty progressive.

I have no problem with conservatives as long as they don't try to force their conservative opinions on me. Live and let live is my motto. If you don't agree, please go live someplace else where someone actually cares about your religious beliefs.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 PM

20,221 posts, read 28,296,741 times
To the OP, you might check out North Central Florida around Tallahassee or the Panhandle area near Pensacola.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM

812 posts, read 1,350,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Clermont is NOT a bastion of conservative values. You obviously haven't visited in a while, we've got tattoo parlors, fun new night clubs, those Internet gambling storefronts (I wish they'd close them!), a brewery, and more. Frankly most of the people I know in Clermont who are Christian are not members of a very conservative church--in fact the largest church in the area is pretty progressive.

I have no problem with conservatives as long as they don't try to force their conservative opinions on me. Live and let live is my motto. If you don't agree, please go live someplace else where someone actually cares about your religious beliefs.
I sit corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To the OP, you might check out North Central Florida around Tallahassee or the Panhandle area near Pensacola.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,706,718 times
Lake Co is pretty conservative which is in Central FL.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Lake Co is pretty conservative which is in Central FL.
Northwestern Lake County, sure. Southeastern Lake County, not so much.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Northwestern Lake County, sure. Southeastern Lake County, not so much.

Hmm... ok...

Of course, everywhere is going to seem pretty conservative (especially Lake Co) considering I am comparing it to Asheville, where I live now.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 PM

80 posts, read 201,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffBaseball View Post
This is as bad as xtin. Xtin nevermind you are off the hook. People stink.

true true

Old 02-26-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Hmm... ok...

Of course, everywhere is going to seem pretty conservative (especially Lake Co) considering I am comparing it to Asheville, where I live now.
Clermont and Minneola are far from conservative.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM

^^^ Ok. Lol.

Difference of opinions I guess.... it's like one time on this forum when someone told me Asheville is not known for their food and wine, and music culture... and that's very much what Asheville is known for... Sometimes you gotta take what people say with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or