U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM

50 posts, read 85,290 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you all could assist me with being a bit more realistic about my move to Central FL from Chicago. I'm 37. I graduate w/ my BS in June 2011. I would like to relocate sometime between Jan and June of 2012. I currently work for a major medical facility here and make about 32k/annually. My saving grace is I have housing assistance that I can take with me when I go (section 8). I have applied for jobs with the new medical facility that will be opening up in 2012 there in the Lake Nona area. I have a 4 years old that currently attends private school (public school in Chicago is crappy). I have the 6 month salary saved up so, as long as my child isn't attending a ridiculously priced day care or private school I think we'll be fine.
How does this budget look:
1350 (total. my current portion is 550) -rent
150-electricity
150-cooking heating gas (I know I may have to move more to the electricity budget as I probably won't need much heating gas)
???-water (renters in Chicago don't pay water bills so I am clueless)
135-car insurance
150-private school tuition
150-cell phones
300-groceries
One of the main reasons that I am moving to the central Florida area is to save on family vacations, so I am prepared to pay 1500/annually for Disney or Universal premium passes at income tax time... Which is a great price for me and my family because I spent 2500 on a ONE WEEK vacation (resort stay, food, 7 day/2 park passes (universal), spending money, airfare, rental car) last year.
I'll also be attending grad school in Tampa one night a week.
With the exception of the entertainment, this is pretty much my budget in Chicago. The question is, Is this budget doable in the Orange & Seminole County areas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,351,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkisha2011 View Post
Perhaps you all could assist me with being a bit more realistic about my move to Central FL from Chicago. I'm 37. I graduate w/ my BS in June 2011. I would like to relocate sometime between Jan and June of 2012. I currently work for a major medical facility here and make about 32k/annually. My saving grace is I have housing assistance that I can take with me when I go (section 8). I have applied for jobs with the new medical facility that will be opening up in 2012 there in the Lake Nona area. I have a 4 years old that currently attends private school (public school in Chicago is crappy). I have the 6 month salary saved up so, as long as my child isn't attending a ridiculously priced day care or private school I think we'll be fine.
How does this budget look:
1350 (total. my current portion is 550) -rent
150-electricity
150-cooking heating gas (I know I may have to move more to the electricity budget as I probably won't need much heating gas)
???-water (renters in Chicago don't pay water bills so I am clueless)
135-car insurance
150-private school tuition
150-cell phones
300-groceries
One of the main reasons that I am moving to the central Florida area is to save on family vacations, so I am prepared to pay 1500/annually for Disney or Universal premium passes at income tax time... Which is a great price for me and my family because I spent 2500 on a ONE WEEK vacation (resort stay, food, 7 day/2 park passes (universal), spending money, airfare, rental car) last year.
I'll also be attending grad school in Tampa one night a week.
With the exception of the entertainment, this is pretty much my budget in Chicago. The question is, Is this budget doable in the Orange & Seminole County areas???
Hey mzkisha,

I'm not sure how your allocation for rent works out. Usually MOST places in Orlando are under $1000/month unless you get something pretty nice downtown. I would call your car insurer about the price for coverage here; it SHOULD be comparable to what you are paying now. Gas is pretty rare, so convert that all to electric, and you should have room left over, but not by too much. The $150 for cell phones is VERY pricey, there are too many services offering droid unlimited for a better price. Get out of the contract when you move if you can. Groceries should be about the same, though a touch cheaper as I recall the taxes down here are a bit better, especially when it comes to groceries.

Grad school in Tampa eh? That's going to SUCK. Your gas/fuel budget is going to take a hit even if you are in a FIT or similar gas sipper. The distance and traffic are going to make it painful. Yeah driving in Chicago sucks, but when you get a rain storm and 10,000 suckers from across the pond singing 'it's great to be on vacation' in your way it's a recipe for tons of head banging frustration. Does UCF not offer what you are looking for?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,626,786 times
That budget should be doable given that you may have the option of putting your child in public school here. As much as you hear about how awful FL public schools are Lake Nona is actually a fairly good district well worth enrolling your child. The savings from that and the cheaper cost of living here should make it easier for you to live here on that budget than in Chicago. Bare in mind however you will likely not be changing your standard of living, just making it through a little easier.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Ted---My program is actually ONLINE.... commute eliminated, but even if I had to go to campus, the classes are only once a week. I haven't thought about UCF though. I'll have to look into it. I'm on a contract under someone else. Although I choose the plan, I want to keep my number as I've had it for a great many number of years. Me and my family actually have a shared plan. My daughter pays her $75 a month and I pay the other half. I just allocate the $150 just incase she doesn't have enough money or something else happens. I think I am going to start banking that in an emergency fund.... The way the housing voucher works is they pay a portion and I pay a portion (usually not more that 40% of my GROSS pay). If I have no income, then they pay it all. I think the payment standard in the central florida region is $1267 for a three bedroom unit. WHat that means to the federal government is that I should not spend more than $1267 TOTAL (ALL portions of rent and utilities) to live in that unit. So I should actually be looking for a unit priced between $950-1050. But because I have an income I can afford to pay more. But the bigger task is finding someone that will accept the voucher AND making sure it is a place that you want to live in. Soo many tenants have given the program a bad rap. We not all terrible tenants.

Crane's-- seeing as they are building the new hospital in Lake Nona, what are the chances that there are new housing developments being built as well. I will start researching Lake Nona as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM

3,457 posts, read 5,870,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkisha2011 View Post
Ted---My program is actually ONLINE.... commute eliminated, but even if I had to go to campus, the classes are only once a week. I haven't thought about UCF though. I'll have to look into it. I'm on a contract under someone else. Although I choose the plan, I want to keep my number as I've had it for a great many number of years. Me and my family actually have a shared plan. My daughter pays her $75 a month and I pay the other half. I just allocate the $150 just incase she doesn't have enough money or something else happens. I think I am going to start banking that in an emergency fund.... The way the housing voucher works is they pay a portion and I pay a portion (usually not more that 40% of my GROSS pay). If I have no income, then they pay it all. I think the payment standard in the central florida region is $1267 for a three bedroom unit. WHat that means to the federal government is that I should not spend more than $1267 TOTAL (ALL portions of rent and utilities) to live in that unit. So I should actually be looking for a unit priced between $950-1050. But because I have an income I can afford to pay more. But the bigger task is finding someone that will accept the voucher AND making sure it is a place that you want to live in. Soo many tenants have given the program a bad rap. We not all terrible tenants.

Crane's-- seeing as they are building the new hospital in Lake Nona, what are the chances that there are new housing developments being built as well. I will start researching Lake Nona as well.
There is also a new Health First Hospital opening soon in Brevard County. Saw an article in the paper here that said it would employ 450. They have received 10,000 applications from people looking for a job there.

Don't know anything about section 8 but will you even qualify for it in Florida or will they automatically keep you under the Illinois salary limit. Can't find this years maximum but in 2009 you needed a family of 5 to qualify if you made $32000. My other thought. Will they take transfers before they take people on the waiting list for assistance?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Rab---since it is a FEDERALLY funded program I can move anywhere in the US and it's occupying territories. SO I am covered when I move. It's called portability. I just have to have my paperwork transferred. One or two things can happen.... If the new HA is billing, they will pay the rents on my behalf, but send a bill for reimbursement to the HA I am porting from. But if they are absorbing, they completely take over the payments and recieve no reimbursement. The payment standard for Chicago and Central is about the same so I am good either way...

Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM

17 posts, read 40,982 times
Default Re: Please think twice.

RE: As a female who also arrived in Florida with a small child, I experienced culture shock and a lot of scam artists when I arrived. (And that was in 1997.)
Things are more difficult today.
1)Do you have family and friends in Chicago that you can count on? This is more important than ever in a recession. It is very difficult to suddenly arrive here,knowing no one.
2) Please don't assume that the medical job will be offered to you. Unfortunately, we have a vast number of unemployed down here.
You will be competing against 'locals'. Employers will often hire a local before they hire a new resident. Yes, there are hundreds of locals with medical degrees.
3) Six months' salary is not a lot of savings. I have to respectfully suggest that, before you cross the country in a recession with a four year old, you may want to save up a few more months' salary. That money can go very, very quickly in a medical emergency.

My daughter and I made it here, but we have the scars and rough memories to show for it. and I can say that staying up North with my family would have been an easier life for us. There were times that the power was turned off, or I couldn't afford my car repairs. Months when I could not afford my asthma medication. etc....And yes, I am educated and have a college degree. That is no guarantee of success.

God bless. Please think hard about this decision. Sure, you have snow in Chicago ....but it will be melting very soon. +++ --A Christian friend and mother

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM

I hate the cold and snow. I'd prefer living in a warmer climate and visiting the cold and snow. Saving on vacations is not the sole purpose of my move. Yes I have family here, but I really don't care much for them and I'd prefer living somewhere where visits from them are minimal at best. I do have some relatives in the Tampa area. SO I wouldn't be completely alone. I'm not crazy enough to be dependent about getting a job at the new hospital, I just know it is an option as well as temp agencies, fast food, walmart, hotels. I'm not above working any job to survive.....
Being here in Chicago, I just recently had my gas turned off and I have family that lives not far from me. I've had to file bankruptcy, been without food and had a vehicle repossessed. I'm just a little bit more optimistic about my move. While I know it won't be a cake walk, I do believe that the GOD I serve will not place more on me than I can handle. HE has always been an ON TIME GOD to me and everyone else that I know that believes in HIM. Now I'm not overly religious, my faith in HIM is GREAT... Thanks for the advice...

Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 21,000 times
Hello
I would llike to comment on this thread if I could.

I was relocted here for my medical job 10year, 2months and about 17 days ago. Yeah I'm counting the days. LOL

I relocated from Ct. I would not have made the same choice if I had known what I know now.

If I where you, I would strongly reconsider Florida as your home. I live in Brevard country which is on the Space Coast. Big big mistake. Orlando is an absolute hole with the exception of the Disney areas and a few other pockets of moderate to high market homes.

Here is my experience with this ah-um interesting place. I'll tell you the good and the bad.

The Good First.

Generally, people are pretty nice in places like restaurants and such.
The wildlife here is spectacular, especially if you're a bird lover. I do love this aspect of things. About the only thing cheaper in Florida is car registrations and a little less on property taxes buy higher homeowers insurance rates pretty much cancel the registration savings out. Property taxes are consistant with other parts of the nation. I own a 2400 square foot house, 5 miles from the ocean, no claims and pay 3200 a year for insurance. It is an absolute rip off and they claim this is because of the 2004 hurricanes. My electrical bill is about 300/month and I keep my thermostat around 70-71 during hte day, mostly off at night.

Now the Bad. OMG

First healthcare is perhaps the worst we've ever seen in our long time medical careers. Really my husband and I are both shocked and are both advanced practitioners and can't really put our thoughts about Florida medicine down in words. In typing, I can't think of the right word to describe the utter imcompetence of the healthcare field in Florida. We've come to the conclusion that it is reflective of the general communtiy of Florida as this is where hospitals get their employee pool from. There seems to be a lot of healthcare scams here as well. I joke with my family about it. We call it "jerry springer medicine". LOL I would choose my care out of state if I needed an invasive procedure.

Second schools.. Up until highschool, public schools seem ok. Highschool is a different story. Florida seems to have no dress code policy and my son has confided in us that there was massive drugs and alcohol on the campus when he was attending. Also, the closer you get to the beach areas, the closer you are to schools that house the more affluent kids which they tend to be able to afford more drugs. Funny to see Mercedes and BMWs in parking lots of highschool and they are all the students. If you have kids, I would strongly suggest private school.

Utilities.. I paid 160 a month for oil in CT. I pay 300/month of electricty-AC in Florida. The rest of the utilities are about the same.

Weather.. Might seem a welcome change from the cold and snow when you get her but living here is a whole different story. Basically, June through October are mostly indoor months as it's blazing hot and awfully humid. The humidity is brutal. I would take the winters and nice summers in NE over nearly year around heat and humidity any day. That is unless you can afford to live on the beach. Even then, it's brutally hot and humid much of the time there too. Hurricane season is a worry as well. Boarding up a house is a nightware and you haven't lived until you've spent a few nights in a gross hurricane shelter. It is an experience of a lifetime. Nothing like being in a highschool gym with 700 farting old people and homeless mental health cases. Try sharing restrooms for three days with this group. Nasty nasty nasty.

Ok so let's talk about mental health for a minute. I'm not sure why, but there is an abnormal about of mental health problems here in FL. I don't mean the depressed. I mean the scary mental health people, like the ones that are off their rocker and threaten people with violence. And yes this transcends into all career fields as well. This and the healthcare is why were are leaving FL after more than a decade.

Traffic.. OMG. getting very bad, especially during snow bird season. And I've never seen so many fatal accidents in my life, mostly on the I 95. And I grew up in a big city and worked in the ER for 20 years! I've never seen so many accidents period, let alone fatal accidents, lot of younger people killed. God Bless them.

Another problem I have with Florida and I didn't think of this until the hurricane is that there is only one route out. God forbid the state needs to evacuate, yeah good luck with that. It's sort of an isolating feeling.

Tourist Attractions.. They are nice every once in a while but I would rather visit than live close to one. Beaches in the northeast part of Florida are beautifil but the rest are marginal at best. South beach is this tiny strip of hotels and restaurants and not much more outside of Miami. Kind of a big hole.

Housing. We own several apartment complexes and have been at full capacity since the housing market took a dump. It is very difficult to find a decent apartment that is available so I would start looking now. There are thousands of propeties listed for rent but MANY are in foreclosure so be careful. Apartment prices have gone way up because of the demand. Good for me, bad for renters-although we we haven't raised our rates in a few years.

Culture. Well, all I can say is this... when we first arrived here, I had to see a patient at his home. When I arrived he and his budies were skinning an extremely large white color snake while it was still alive. It was a horrific thing to see but they seem to be ok with it. The poor snake was realing trying to get away form them as they were literraly turning the snake inside out while it was still alive. This is just he tip of the iceburg. THere are alot of really good people here too but you are gonna have to brace yourself for this type of element as well as they are around everywhere.

General health of the population. Florida is generally a very unhealthy state and it shows. Seems like a lot of people have handicapped stickers, are obese and use those electric wheelchairs a lot. It is as if this whole state is on SSDI or welfare and I live in a nice area! Of course, not everyone is, but man this is very evident.

Shopping. Lots of walmarts, malls, eating.. Typical.

Florida is a mixture of south meets New Yorkers. Nuff said. LOL

So overhall, the people of Florida are generally pretty nice. The weather is awful as is the healthcare.

This is something you have to either try to get used to or move back. After ten years, we've tried real hard to get used to it, but we can't. We are selling and moving back north. I will take seasons and snow anyday over two seasons.. "hot and hotter" here and well as much more competent healthcare.

Good luck in whaterver you decide. Have you looked into NC?

Last edited by FoxworthFamily; 03-20-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

I did think about living in the carolinas a few years back. But I don't know a soul in either. I do have a couple of relatives in FL. I really want to raise my youngest in the south. In a more relaxed atmosphere. I have only driven through the carolinas. My family is planning another road trip south and we are planning to visit a few of the plantations in the carolinas. Maybe we'll explore the cities as well. I was also looking at ATL, but there are too many people relocating there as well. Thanks for the insight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando