U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,392 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am worried about the high humidity in Florida and if it is a good idea to move there with allergy and asthma problems? Also am I going to be sweating everyday there or is it only some months out of the year that is really bad?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM

812 posts, read 1,348,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley Payne View Post
Hi, I am worried about the high humidity in Florida and if it is a good idea to move there with allergy and asthma problems? Also am I going to be sweating everyday there or is it only some months out of the year that is really bad?
Cute...

Humidity. There are very few places (like rain forests) that have more humidity than Florida. If you don't like it don't come. Seriously.

As far as allergies go, I'd talk to your allergist. I went up to Mn while everyone was sneezing their heads off and been fine. I have had friends come down from there and exploded in Florida. It's going to depend on what you are allergic to.

Sweating. Depends on how smart/rich you are. If you have the money to run your A/C all the time, remote start your car to get it cool and can park it under the shade, you'll hardly break a sweat. If it's a 'normal' black car, and you leave it in the sun, you'll probably be drenched before you get a couple miles down the road. White towels are your friends. And Florida has two seasons... Summer and not so summer. 1/2 the year is pretty darn hot; 1/2 the year is pretty tolerable.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM

26 posts, read 62,189 times
I actually moved from MN (Champlin/Minneapolis) to Orlando a couple years ago. I used to have horrible allergies in MN, but they mostly went away here. It might be the different grasses and pollen here, so it depends on what you're allergic to. But I find that with the lack of real seasons, plants come and go very gradually. It's not like in MN where as soon as the frost stops everything explodes with flowers and everything is dusted with pollen. Here it's more subtle because many flowers are year round and we don't have as many deciduous trees. I'm not an allergist, but that was my experience.

As for humidity, it's pretty much as humid as it can get in the US -- 100% is not uncommon. But even in MN we had the AC on all summer, even if it was only June - August and not March - November like here. But November - March more than make up for the long summer!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 PM

212 posts, read 527,745 times
my son has exercise induced asthma and he seems to suffer more in the summer, of course he is a teenager and very active....
i agree with the others on allergies depends on what you are allergic to , of course the pollen count is very high the next few days 11.9 on the scale of 1 to 12 , been sneezing a lot myself lately
and sweat, you will pretty much do that year round here

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

269 posts, read 787,667 times
The humidity is nothing when compared to the winters you get up north, especially where you are. Also, the winter is wonderful here.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times
I wouldn't trade Florida's worst day for Minn's best. My allergies happen much faster here. oak trees for me... but it goes much faster than it did up north.

Humid... doesn't bother me. people grip about hot summers... but im like whatever... in Kansas City over 100 was an every summer experience and sometimes over 110 with high humidity... nothing we have compares. it starts to approach 100 and it rains and drops to 80 with humidity... I have no issue with it. Our air is cleaner, the sky shows more stars, and we have no ice storms or snow.... or state income taxes or many other things...

I LOVE it here.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,381,729 times
Central & South Florida have 6 months of beautiful weather (Nov-April) and 6 months of oppressive heat (May-Oct). Summers in Florida can be compared to winters in MN. You run to your car, crank on the a/c, sweat for 15 mins, drive to wherever you're going and go into the a/c building or house and dry off. I have lived in FL my whole life and I still can't tolerate the heat. However, it is beautiful at the beach or on the boat in the summer. As long as I'm in a pool or the Gulf, I'm okay. On the other hand, some people love the heat (like my dad and husband) and have no problem playing golf or working in the yard in the summer. Personally, I won't do it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM

37 posts, read 114,626 times
I currently reside in Palm Beach county and will be relocating to Minnesota in 3 weeks. I hate the heat, winter, not much of one, unless you enjoy 80+ degrees during that time of year. I have been here way too long and can't stand it. There are really no change in the seasons, and as far as sweating...well that is mostly what you will do unless you live in the A/C all day long. My husband has allergies really bad and the climate here seems to trigger them constantly. When he goes North...he is just fine. I personally don't care for Florida at all. Besides the unemployment rate is an extremely high %. That is why we are relocating. Florida does have it's perks...sun, sand and beach. But I am done with all that...have had way too much of it the past 30 years. Good luck though and wish you the best!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,030,375 times
From a person who has constant sinus and allergy problems I can tell you I have never had any problems breathing in Florida ever.

Even after thousands of visits and in every month of the year I actually had no sinus headaches or closed ears, swollen throats when I am in Florida.

Someone here posted a map of the humidity and you will be shocked that many places in Florida have a lower humidity issue the many states in the midwest and northern states.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Allergies are very bad in FL. I never had any allergy problems out west. But down here I get the scratchy throat, runny nose, watery eyes.

Thank goodness it is not all year round, but it is bad.

It makes sense, with all the rain and humidity and warmer weather you have things growing most of the year.

Molds are really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or