U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM

3,447 posts, read 5,584,708 times

Advertisements

Merlin working with developers to bring Madame Tussauds, observation attractions to International Drive - OrlandoSentinel.com

Great news for I-Drive and Orlando, since the Great Orlando Wheel (http://www.greatwheel.com/orlando.htm - broken link) has been stalled since the economy tanked. Merlin (Logoland folks) are planning on building a new I-Drive entertainment complex called I-Walk Orlando. It will feature the 425ft ferris wheel, a Madame Tussauds Wax Museum like in Vegas, and a mystery component. In addition, if other projects are realized like the Orlando Thrill Park which will feature Cedar Point like rides, 2011 will be a fantastic year for our attractions area. What are your thoughts, reactions, and opinions?

Hmm, now if we could only get the DPAC off the ground in DT Orlando, this year will be a fantastic year in which soil gets turned on some really great projects in this city and provide many jobs in construction and staffing the complex. Sadly, this positive growth would taste a lot sweeter if our new rail infrastructure jobs would be realized as well this year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

2,144 posts, read 4,225,048 times
Last I read the city was telling the Orlando Thrill Park guys "no" due to the noise levels the park would have on the neighborhood next to it.

I think the DPAC is pretty much a green light at this point. With Jacobs on board what is going to stop that now? We've been waiting forever for the groundbreaking, but it seems to be gathering a lot of steam lately.

Lots and lots of activity downtown...Fiat dealership, several old storefronts are under construction around that area, Orange Blossom Pilsner is going to build a brewery, all the new places on Church St as well as several more on the way. Seems like the ball is rolling again.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Last I read the city was telling the Orlando Thrill Park guys "no" due to the noise levels the park would have on the neighborhood next to it.

I think the DPAC is pretty much a green light at this point. With Jacobs on board what is going to stop that now? We've been waiting forever for the groundbreaking, but it seems to be gathering a lot of steam lately.

Lots and lots of activity downtown...Fiat dealership, several old storefronts are under construction around that area, Orange Blossom Pilsner is going to build a brewery, all the new places on Church St as well as several more on the way. Seems like the ball is rolling again.
So refreshing to hear that Pete, it feels like since I moved back home from SC, only minimal development has occurred. But then again, Amway Center opened during the worse economy in ages along with expansions at Disney, Universal, many convention hotels, and the revitalization of Church Street. My gf who is from SC can't believe how quickly things change in this city and I laughed because once things turn around I know that she'll really be surprised.
DPAC is a green light and I'm really pleased with Jacobs for also being concerned with the taxpayer (although I think she had to front in this economy but has always wanted it). The BobCarr is old and aging but evidence of Orlando's thriving art scene is all over that building, more specifically on stage there.
I heard the same thing about the Thrill Park after positing my thread, but I say look for another site (it's not like we don't have the land), and/or figure out a way to pacify these residents in a respectable way and let them know that living by I-Drive means accepting progress.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 03-02-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-02-2011, 03:22 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,612,286 times
Every day I walk or drive around I see something new going up. New restaurants downtown, new shops along Ivanhoe, new businesses in the area. Most of these places are small time but every little helps. This will in no way make up for the damage that has been done the to our economy and job market the past few years but it's encouraging to see new or stalled projects going forward. It's even more encouraging to international investors banking on Orlando returning to it's status as a premier international destination. An in light of the recent broohaha over HSR I have to give credit to our local leaders. Instead of working against each other for petty reason they seem to be working with each to grow our community. Mayor Jacobs did not like the current deal with the DPAC but rather than kill it she made productive criticisms. In the end we got a new deal agreeable to all parties and are moving forward with DPAC. I wish some of our State and National leaders would take a look at what our local representatives here are doing here. I digress, I'm looking forward to riding the Giant ferris wheel.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,230,169 times
I am very excited for something to go up in this space and think the Wax Museum and Ferris wheel are great options.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,230,169 times
And I don't want to be too pessimistic about the development around Festival Bay, but considering it is on the rundown end of I Drive by a struggling mall and close to some rough neighborhoods, I do not seeing it being that successful or nice. I see it having some financial struggles after being open for the initial debut period. After this point it may be bought by Wet N Wild or Fun Spot or some other party to help it out. It will be interesting to watch what occurs. The other projects I am very excited for!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,020,009 times
Good news for Orlando. I've been noticing an increase in development all over the metro. Even neighborhoods underconstructiom which really surprises me.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Problem with the site?

So I'm still very excited about the I-Walk complex opening in the old Mercado's place, but after struggling with something, I looked up the aerial photo that confirmed my suspicions. The property is located between I-Drive to the West and Universal Blvd to the East, I've highlighted it in red. Now Lockheed Martin is located just on the other side of Universal Blvd even further to the East. What's the problem you ask? Well 2 things come to mind for me:
  1. Lockheed maintains a buffer of rural land in an urban area (which rightfully feels out of place when driving down Universal Blvd) in order to prevent people from being able to view their operations. I've even heard that Lockheed used to rent out the rooms on the top floors of hotels that faced their property back when spies were an issue. If a 400+ foot 'Eye' went up adjacent to Lockheed, wouldn't that compromise their intended buffer? I know it's not a huge deal and I'm sure vistas will still be somewhat limited, but I wonder if any consideration has been given to this fact.
  2. The view out of 1 side of the 'Eye' will be International Drive with Univeral, Disney, and downtown Orlando, and out the other, an unsightly missle plant. Will people say of the Orlando wheel, "there's nothing to see"? I love Lockheed and the good jobs they have brought to Orlando pre-Disney, but I think they, and Orlando CVBB, don't want people to know that it's located right there next to their family vacation, hence the true reason for the buffer.

Any thoughts? Oh and Wilshire, I disagree that the location of the proposed Thrill Park is not optimal. The outlets bring a lot of folks up to that end of I-Drive already and having something other than a Ross or TJ Maxx next to Festival Bay might actually give that area the boost it needs. Festival Bay is a beautiful concept, however besides Ron Jon, Bass Pro, and a few small store I like, it's a huge failure.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
Talking Orlando Thrill Park

Wonderful news for I Drive. Hopefully Orlando Thrill Park will be sucessful. Hopefully those low class Tangelo Park residents dont sink the project. Also, hopefully they keep the low class thug element from Tangelo Park and surrounding areas out of the park. A bunch of low income losers dont want this project to go through in the first place, who cares about them if it creates jobs in this economy. This is especially true in construction jobs.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times
This will be a great addition to the area. Making Orlando an even greater place.... Now if we can get a Gov to support growth for the state we will be in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or