Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 PM

457 posts, read 627,217 times

Advertisements

I'm still not used to tolls. I don't think I ever will be. But it's something I knew going in.

I don't think the traffic is that bad. It's bad, but no worse than any metropolitan area.

Summer is unbelievably HOT!! I hibernate a bit. But it isn't the horrible dark, cold, gloomy, dangerous weather of winter. I don't have to bundle up to walk down the driveway for mail. And when I get back with the mail, I don't have wet pant legs. No cleaning the car off after grocery shopping. Heat sucks! But so does cold...and cold means all that other crap, too. No thanks!

Much rather sit in my pool to stay cool in August than pile on blankets to stay warm in February.

We have crime. So do all cities.

We have a ton of tourists...but they mostly stay in the tourist areas. I purposely moved to a place a bit away from all that. Rather drive to the tourist areas when I want to go to theme parks than live with that crap all the time. I also have a soft spot for the tourists. I was one before I was a resident.

For the PP who complained that all people do is go to work, go home and maybe hit a bar on the weekends...what the hell do you think people all over the country do? Everyone goes to work and home, with a little recreation here and there...mostly on days off. There are plenty of non-theme-park things to do in Orlando. Search them out! What do you want to do?

I like theme parks. I know it isn't cool for everyone, but I do. I like all of them. But I don't go every week and still manage to go places...and I don't even drink!

I'm like deliriously happy since moving to Orlando. It was hard at first, meeting new people, making friends, all that jazz...but it is a wonderful place to call home. Not far from perfect, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
I'm still not used to tolls. I don't think I ever will be. But it's something I knew going in.

I don't think the traffic is that bad. It's bad, but no worse than any metropolitan area.

Summer is unbelievably HOT!! I hibernate a bit. But it isn't the horrible dark, cold, gloomy, dangerous weather of winter. I don't have to bundle up to walk down the driveway for mail. And when I get back with the mail, I don't have wet pant legs. No cleaning the car off after grocery shopping. Heat sucks! But so does cold...and cold means all that other crap, too. No thanks!

Much rather sit in my pool to stay cool in August than pile on blankets to stay warm in February.

We have crime. So do all cities.

We have a ton of tourists...but they mostly stay in the tourist areas. I purposely moved to a place a bit away from all that. Rather drive to the tourist areas when I want to go to theme parks than live with that crap all the time. I also have a soft spot for the tourists. I was one before I was a resident.

For the PP who complained that all people do is go to work, go home and maybe hit a bar on the weekends...what the hell do you think people all over the country do? Everyone goes to work and home, with a little recreation here and there...mostly on days off. There are plenty of non-theme-park things to do in Orlando. Search them out! What do you want to do?

I like theme parks. I know it isn't cool for everyone, but I do. I like all of them. But I don't go every week and still manage to go places...and I don't even drink!

I'm like deliriously happy since moving to Orlando. It was hard at first, meeting new people, making friends, all that jazz...but it is a wonderful place to call home. Not far from perfect, IMO.
Well said, thank you. While I eat up the cool weather Orlando gets, I live in shorts, t-shirts, and of course flip flops, so places north of here are not ideal. The one winter I spent up north in South Carolina was a bit much. While considered mild by most winter standards, the idea of putting on pants, close-toed shoes, and at best a hoodie 5-6 months out of the year just to go outside for a few minutes got old fast. I guess Florida, and more specifically Orlando, is either in your blood or it isn't. My family hails from the SW suburbs of Chicago, so I am also very familiar with "real winters" as well. Another thing I observe when visiting them is how there is a true divide between the city and the suburbs which we don't have here. Don't get me wrong, I adore the Chicagoland area, but I love how the main suburbs in metro Orlando are basically Orlando where as the even the inner-ring suburbs in Greater Chicago are still the suburbs. That said, this concept is not inclusive to Orlando, many mid-sized metros experience this same phenomenon, but nevertheless it's one thing I feel works for Orlando as far as my preferences are concerned.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip3 View Post
My experience- It was hard to meet people. There never seemed to be much going on in Orlando
it took for ever to find a job…. Once I got one I spent $1,000 per day in toll fee’s to get from point A- point B …
Normally not one to critisize people's opinions, but you my friend are being over dramatic. The tolls are not forced upon you to drive as a resident. Feel free to use central Floridas roads

Hard to meet people?
Not much going on?

Well what are you into exactly? As far as I'm aware of, Orlando has a bit of something for all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando