U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM

78 posts, read 124,185 times
Default For those of you who live in Independence & nearby

Where do you grocery shopping? I know there's a Publix on 535, but it's kind of expensive. Is there a cheaper place nearby? I know there's a Super Target in the outdoor Winter Garden shopping center (Fowler's something?) and a Sweet Bay in Cleremont, but is there something closer?

They should be breaking ground on our house this week.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-10-2011, 12:46 PM

383 posts, read 297,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
Where do you grocery shopping? I know there's a Publix on 535, but it's kind of expensive. Is there a cheaper place nearby? I know there's a Super Target in the outdoor Winter Garden shopping center (Fowler's something?) and a Sweet Bay in Cleremont, but is there something closer?

They should be breaking ground on our house this week.
There's also a publix at 13450 Summerport Village Parkway, Windermere, FL (407) 905-0199 ‎ It's basically in Summerport.

There's also a whole foods in Dr. Phillips, though that's a bit further and normally more expensive.

Unread 03-12-2011, 05:21 PM

135 posts, read 183,973 times
There is an Aldi's and Walmart on 50 not too far from Independence if your looking at lower cost prices. I dont know where half of these people work on here but I can't always afford Publix, it is pretty expensiive. Also, you are better to have a Winter Garden address because the taxes are lower than Windermere. We are also looking at Independence (we rent in Downtown Winter Garden) and I dont think the subdivision is looking shabby at all. I think its very nice for the money! I laughed when someone mentioned Keene's Point as the houses in there can be very EXPENSIVE!! Must be nice to be able to afford that but most of us can't afford that! I think most of the subdivisions around the Winter Garden Village are pretty affordable for middle class. We are choosing Independence as both my husband and I work at Disney and it would just be easier for us. We will continue to shop at Aldi's and Walmart and have to drive a little further but we have 3 teenagers to feed and they like to eat and Publix is just not cutting it!! lol!!
Anyway, good luck in your decisions!

Norrodh

Unread 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM

985 posts, read 2,144,873 times
I can't say I find Publix all that expensive but as far as I'm aware they are the only place that accept other stores coupons so I would recommend checking into that. I personally don't have the time or care to drive upto wal art and take the best part of a 20 mim drive each way from Independence to go to either of those places when Publix is only 5 min away. Moral of the story, keep an eye out for coupons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
There is an Aldi's and Walmart on 50 not too far from Independence if your looking at lower cost prices. I dont know where half of these people work on here but I can't always afford Publix, it is pretty expensiive. Also, you are better to have a Winter Garden address because the taxes are lower than Windermere. We are also looking at Independence (we rent in Downtown Winter Garden) and I dont think the subdivision is looking shabby at all. I think its very nice for the money! I laughed when someone mentioned Keene's Point as the houses in there can be very EXPENSIVE!! Must be nice to be able to afford that but most of us can't afford that! I think most of the subdivisions around the Winter Garden Village are pretty affordable for middle class. We are choosing Independence as both my husband and I work at Disney and it would just be easier for us. We will continue to shop at Aldi's and Walmart and have to drive a little further but we have 3 teenagers to feed and they like to eat and Publix is just not cutting it!! lol!!
Anyway, good luck in your decisions!

Norrodh

Unread 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM

135 posts, read 183,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
I can't say I find Publix all that expensive but as far as I'm aware they are the only place that accept other stores coupons so I would recommend checking into that. I personally don't have the time or care to drive upto wal art and take the best part of a 20 mim drive each way from Independence to go to either of those places when Publix is only 5 min away. Moral of the story, keep an eye out for coupons.
You've got to be kidding!! I guess your not feeding alot of people in your family. Most single people I talk to find Publix ok because they just have to worry about feeding themselves but for a family of 5 on a budget, and Publix being the only close supermarket, it makes it very hard. Your dollar definitely doesnt go too far!! Starting to realize just how many snooty people are in the Winter Garden/Windermere area!! I guess your all not working at Disney thats for sure!!

Unread 03-13-2011, 06:25 AM

50 posts, read 40,229 times
Norrodh,

I do shop at Publix for a family of 4 and I have been teaching families how to shop there as well using competitive coupons. Check out the site called Southern Savers and click on Publix. The site matches coupons with the deals of the week and then you can get prices cheaper than Walmart. If you shop the buy one get one items and sale items with the coupons then you can really save.

Unread 03-13-2011, 03:26 PM

985 posts, read 2,144,873 times
We are fortunate as we are a family of 3, myself, wife and daughter. That being said I cant say I find the area snooty at all and im sorry you have that perception. Like I said and was backed up by another poster, check out the coupons, and Publix often have buy one get one free offers on a great many items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
You've got to be kidding!! I guess your not feeding alot of people in your family. Most single people I talk to find Publix ok because they just have to worry about feeding themselves but for a family of 5 on a budget, and Publix being the only close supermarket, it makes it very hard. Your dollar definitely doesnt go too far!! Starting to realize just how many snooty people are in the Winter Garden/Windermere area!! I guess your all not working at Disney thats for sure!!

Unread 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM

78 posts, read 124,185 times
I didn't mean to start a fight. I find Publix expensive, and I'm a big coupon user myself. We're a family of 4 on one part-time salary with no benefits. When we lived in Oviedo we shopped at Winn-Dixie because you got extra points for baby items and my twins were little then. I had a $124.00 bill cut down to $34 using coupons and discounts. We only used Publix for things that we could not find elsewhere. We now buy mostly generic products so coupons are not that useful anymore. I've never shopped Aldi's, but I understand they have limited selection but good prices. Walmart is cheaper for most things, but if it's too far we can do a once a month big shopping trip.
What about a Hispanic and/or Asian market? Are there any nearby? They usually have good prices for produce & meat. We used to go to the Bravo in Semoran & Colonial once a month and stock up.

Unread 03-13-2011, 10:20 PM

201 posts, read 131,838 times
I have never been to Orlando and was wondering if it was at all possible to buy a house in Orlando for around 100k. We would be looking for a 3-4 bedroom and in a lower crime area. I understand it would probably be nowhere near downtown or Disney and probably more in the outskirts. What areas would this be possible in? Thanks

Unread 03-14-2011, 07:03 AM

383 posts, read 297,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodiman View Post
I have never been to Orlando and was wondering if it was at all possible to buy a house in Orlando for around 100k. We would be looking for a 3-4 bedroom and in a lower crime area. I understand it would probably be nowhere near downtown or Disney and probably more in the outskirts. What areas would this be possible in? Thanks
You might be able to find a townhouse or condo in a DECENT area for that price, but not a single famaily home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando