Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Enclose or leave open
Leave as one big room 3 50.00%
Make it an office 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM

174 posts, read 453,693 times

Advertisements

Our house is a dedicated 4 bedroom 2 bath. We have a combined formal LR/DR. We are not formal LR people. Would it be wise to enclose the LR and make it an office - no closet? It won't be a big space, but it would be a dedicated space and would get used. Would that be a negative or positive if we ever go to sell our house?

THANKS for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM

793 posts, read 2,520,336 times
Do you have a family room, if so you have options.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Do you have a family room, if so you have options.

Hope this helps,

Should have mentioned, I do have a family room off the kitchen. Do you think closing the room in will be ok for a resale, if we ever go to sell? I'd love the dedicated office and having the bedroom that is the office now as a guest room, possibly another room for another child, but that's another post

We just don't want to close it in and then scare away potential buyers. But everyone I know that has that combo, no one really uses it. I know we don't except to put our Christmas tree in there

Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM

793 posts, read 2,520,336 times
So close it in with glass pane pocket doors so if anyone want they can use as a living room.

hope this helps,

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,139,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
So close it in with glass pane pocket doors so if anyone want they can use as a living room.

hope this helps,
Agreed. Most people nowadays don't like formal area's for the same reason you mentioned (they are never used).

The main factor for me though is going to be where and how the current dining room is situated in the home. If closing it off with a wall makes your home feel less open, It's not a great idea....but Dave's suggestion of glass pained pocket doors solves all your problems.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
We closed ours just as suggested above with glass paned French doors. They can be opened to provide a spacious open feeling, or closed to make a separate room. We also added Roman shades to add a level of privacy as needed.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM

26 posts, read 71,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We closed ours just as suggested above with glass paned French doors. They can be opened to provide a spacious open feeling, or closed to make a separate room. We also added Roman shades to add a level of privacy as needed.
THIS, exactly!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM

We've had 3 people come out this week and I'm waiting on 2 more quotes. The one guy today is a general contractor and he's trying to go as cheap as possible for us. He'd frame it, do the drywall, spray the walls to match our existing walls as closely as possible and install the door for $3k to $4k. We'd have to buy our own supplies, paint and get an a/c vent into the room (all stuff hubby and I can do).

I'm not sure if this price is good or not, I haven't gotten the other estimates yet. My hubby could do all this work himself, he's just worried about securing the bottom of the wall into the existing tile and not cracking it. Also about matching the texture on the wall.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 12,834,623 times
I think most people like to not feel cramped so if closing it in will make it seem small I don't think that would be a good option. The glass panel doors is a way to help keep it open but as we can't see and feel the space, use your best judgment.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think most people like to not feel cramped so if closing it in will make it seem small I don't think that would be a good option. The glass panel doors is a way to help keep it open but as we can't see and feel the space, use your best judgment.
I'll take some pix later and post them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando