U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 PM

24 posts, read 50,301 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently visited Maitland Village located just south of RDV Sports Complex in Maitland. I'm wondering if that is a really undesirable area since it's right on the border with Lockhart and Eatonville?!

The other place I'm considering is Point Cypress in Dr. Phillips. The price difference between the 2 is about 3.5% or $40,000. (Point Cypress being a bit more pricey)

For the price difference, should I or should I not consider Maitland Village?

I'm planning on moving to Orlando from Miami. I'm 30, single, male, active but not out socializing every night. Some peace and quiet is preferred within the community, with nearby places to go, things to do and good restaurants, of course. Oh, and easy access to a gym/basketball and airport is required as well.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:37 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,420,563 times
Maitland isn't a bad area, but I much prefer Dr. Phillips. It's one of the most upscale communities in Orlando. The Point Cypress townhomes are gorgeous. I've been in to see the models twice and loved them. I don't know anything about Maitland Village, though.

A bonus to living in Dr. Phillips is you're in the entertainment/shopping mecca of Orlando.. Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and I-Drive are all around you, and downtown isn't too far either. Plus, about 2 minutes away from Point Cypress is what's called Restaurant Row, on Sand Lake Rd. There's plenty of gyms around- YMCA, Gold's Gym, Planet Fitness and you'll be about 20 minutes from Orlando International.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM

672 posts, read 1,608,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear lika ghost View Post
The price difference between the 2 is about 3.5% or $40,000. (Point Cypress being a bit more pricey)
I'm sure the priced difference is more than 3.5% because that would value the properties at over a million dollars, and they definitely aren't worth that

I'm not sure if Point Cypress has been completed, but I visited the models when they were about half way done with the project. They were nice, but I didn't think they were worth the asking price at the time...

How much are they asking now.. the only one I see right now is about $300K... and with a $300/month HOA, I think you have some better options in Dr. Phillips.

If you still want that townhome type feel without sharing a wall with a neighbor, I'd look into single family homes in Toscana or Bay Ridge (across from Bay Hill)...

But to answer your question about DP vs. Maitland, I'd go DP.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 AM

20,232 posts, read 28,365,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear lika ghost View Post
I'm planning on moving to Orlando from Miami. I'm 30, single, male, active but not out socializing every night. Some peace and quiet is preferred within the community, with nearby places to go, things to do and good restaurants, of course. Oh, and easy access to a gym/basketball and airport is required as well. Thanks
Based on wanting more peace and quiet (which I suppose would include less traffic/congestion), I'd stick with Maitland. The Dr Phillips area is right in the thick of the tourist action, meaning lots of traffic and many overcrowded places with people who don't even live here. Maitland and neighboring Altamonte Springs are more local-oriented and not as crowded. You also have easy access to downtown via I-4 as well as Park Avenue in Winter Park which has a more laidback vibe. RDV is the nicest/most upscale health club in the city and having that nearby would be a terrific asset, not to mention a great place to meet new friends.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM

wow, bad math on my part... i meant 12% roughly

Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 AM

4,155 posts, read 7,631,789 times
Maitland is perfectly fine however if being near the airport is high priority I would suggest you pick Dr. Phillips. Traffic back ups can make the trip from a Maitland to OIA fairly long.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM

I looked up Toscana... HOA fee there is $670, holy moly. That'll make resale a bit tough.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Also, I work from a home office, so I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM

4,155 posts, read 7,631,789 times
In that case both areas are fine. They each fit your requirements for amenities. It's really just a matter of if you consider the extra price worth it. IMO the areas are comparable to each other in amenities, convenience and safety. The one disadvantage I would bring up in the Maitland property is that it is buried within office and apartment complexes so your not within a very close distance to grocery stores, etc.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM

So even though it's located west of I-4, south of RDV, and sandwiched right between Lockhart and Eatonville, it's still not a bad location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando