U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 20,966 times

Advertisements

Hello...
This will only be our second summer living here and we are looking to buy some annual passes at one of the theme parks. We had considered Universal Studios but most people we've talked to have said that Universal is ok to see once...maybe twice but not that big of a deal. We are actually going there in two weeks and I was set to but the passes but now thinking about just getting the 2 park passes for two days.

So now I'm just looking for opinions from people who have visited all of the parks. We have two girls who are 8 and 9 years old.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 PM

200 posts, read 468,662 times
Do the kids like Harry Potter?

Seaworld annual passes would be the cheapest but still a decent deal. Their summer fireworks show is nice, but their winter shows (tree lights, ice skaters, shamu christmas) are great.

I don't know if Disney would be too expensive for you. What many families do is get one annual pass for free parking and get the rest seasonal passes.
Renewal Information | Passholders Program | Walt Disney World Resort
Are you all Florida residents?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,388,314 times
I have passes for SeaWorld, Universal and WDW. They all offer different perks and experiences. Prices are reasonable for Universal and SeaWorld but a little expensive for Disney unless you stick with the seasonal passes that have blackout dates and don't include parking. Monthly payment plans are available for all three annual passes.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM

237 posts, read 904,798 times
We have passes for WDW and Seaworld. I bought the Florida resident 3 day/3 park pass and after going to each of the Univeral park once, I have no desire to buy the annual pass. I still have one more day left on our passes and we'll go back to Islands of Adventure for that. I didn't have a bad time, I just don't have to go back over and over again.

I've found the most value with our Seaworld pass. The silver annual pass cost only a little over a 1 day park ticket and that pass includes parking. You can also buy a fun pass which allows you to come back the rest of the year for the price of admission, but I like to bump up to the silver pass for the free parking. You also get 10% discount on all food and merchandise, which we have used for ourselves and friends.

We've enjoyed the WDW passes the most, but it's so expensive that I don't think I will be renewing this year. Previous poster had a great suggestion of buying seasonal passes plus one regular pass for the free parking and sometimes merchandise discounts. The black out dates don't work for us because our friends who visit from out of town usually come during the school holidays/blackout times.

Depends on your needs and interest of your family; Do you like animals? thrill ride? shows?. Also, how much do you want to spend? Seaworld is the cheapest. Universal is starting to get expensive(due to Harry Potter) and to me, it's seems more expensive per park than even Disney. Disney's pass is the most pricey, but you do get the 4 parks. I went as far as to upgrade to the premium pass and get the water parks and golf also. But in the end, we just don't have that much free time to take advantage of it all.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 20,966 times
Thanks for the replies! My kids love HP which was the main reason they wanted to go to Universal. But I think once we see it in a couple of weeks we will be good. After reading everyones thoughts Disney seems like the park we would get the most use out of.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM

50 posts, read 85,233 times
I haven't moved to FL as of yet, but I will be in the future. How does the family pass work? do you pay per person or is there a family pass to any of the parks. Sorry to hone in on your thread goodbyeohio, but it peaked my interest.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM

200 posts, read 468,662 times
No problem! Forgot to note that my other link is the renewal page but it also has a list of the regular prices.

Here is a list of the Disney seasonal blackout dates.
Walt Disney World®

Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM

237 posts, read 904,798 times
Quote:
How does the family pass work? do you pay per person or is there a family pass to any of the parks.
You have to buy a pass for each individual 3yrs & up.

Don't forget that you don't even have to buy an annual pass to enjoy the parks. Disney has a variety of "specials" that they run every so often. Right now they have 4 parks for $120 p/p. I think there are time frames and black out dates, but I think that's a pretty good price. I bought the Fl Res rate Univeral 3 day, 1park/day pass that's valid for 6 months. Between those 2, that would be 9 days worth of parks. Then you can buy Disney water park annual passes for about $100 p/p, if the kids are into that. Premium annual pass for Disney was about $500 per ticket, so that's why I'm reluctant to renew. Not sure if I "got my Moneys' worth."

Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,026,365 times
I have a universal 2 park power annual pass and I like it. Universal studios and islands of adventure are state of the art theme parks and city walk has good night life. Universal throws many big events every year, like right now is mardi gras. Every Saturday for the next 2 months, there will be big named concerts that I can get to see for free thanks to my pass.

Growing up I had a seaworld pass for 4 years straight and I loved it. Seaworld has a few (but really good) rides, and that isn't what makes seaworld good. It's a cool place because of all the shows and exhibits. I'm glad I got go there a lot growing up, it was very educational in a fun way. Not many 10 year olds get to go to world class parks every weekend, and be face to face with killer wales, polar bears, sharks, etc.

Wet n wild is also a good place to get a pass for in the summer. It's only about 40 bucks and it has the best waterpark rides in Orlando. Very cool and fun place to be on a hot summer day.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 PM

1,913 posts, read 3,413,620 times
The difference between Disney annual passes and Universal or Sea World passes is going to be hundreds of dollars.. if not a thousand. If you have the means to get Disney passes and you think you'll go often, and it's what the kids like the most, I'd say go for it. Your girls are still young, so they may not enjoy all the rides at Universal. I'd say wait until after you visit Universal to decide- they may love it. I have a Universal pass now and plan to renew it.. I'm addicted to those parks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or