U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

629 posts, read 1,369,213 times

Advertisements

I think if you're looking at job/career prospects, you almost have to speak Spanish in Miami. Sure there are plenty of people there who speak only English, but the area does so much business with Latin America and so many clients/customers speak Spanish that you'd probably have a tougher time finding jobs and advancing without it. You can get by as a visitor without it, but for the daily work/life stuff it has almost become a necessity down there.

Out on the beach area it's easier to get by with just English.

There are plenty of people who actually live on south beach, but the nightlife atmosphere is so prevalent and it's the big tourist draw. For a young active person that can be great, for those who want a more quiet atmosphere that's a little more kid friendly they usually end up moving west towards the suburbs.

There's probably not a good way to know for sure unless you try it. Do you think rather than buying a condo you could find a place to rent and try an entry level job there for maybe 6 months first? That way you haven't really tied yourself to the area or a particular job if you find it's not quite what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM

26 posts, read 60,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Is Orlando suitable for a 30 year old single guy or Tampa ,Miami Better?

this may sound like a dumb question, but which is the Funnest? I may land a job here in Orlando but I may hold out for better options

I like to party nightlife and shopping

but is Orlando Better to live in and drive to have fun in Miami?

problem is Orlando has no Coastline, that bothers me

I know however I have to go where the job is
First off, I'm really sorry if I repeat stuff that other posters have already said. I didn't read all the replies.

I have lived in Key Largo (basically Miami!), Tampa and now Orlando. I am 27 and my husband is 30.

For nightlife, nothing is going to beat Miami. However, the next best thing, to me, would be Orlando. Our culture here is rich and diverse, similar to Miami's, and there are pockets of clubs/bars/lounges that I have yet to explore and I've lived here for over a year now. Tampa's nightlife was crummy to me. There was a lot of really neat swanky places, but there was a lot of older people there. I didn't have a problem with that seeing as how I'm married, but I can imagine that if I was single, I'd be looking for a different crowd! Ybor City always feels scary to me. Some of the people there make me feel like I could very well be mugged, raped, and left in a ditch somewhere. It's probably just me being a crazy girl! Not all of Tampa is like that - we loved hanging out at Blue Martini and the crowd there wasn't bad (although, still, a little older).

For shopping, eh, it's a toss up. Tampa may have us beat simply because things seem easier to get to there. Orlando is quite a bit more spread out. However, it does seem to me that Orlando has more one-off shopping, like boutiques and crazy awesome foreign clothiers. Mom and pop restaurants, too, which are always the best. People will always try to tell you that Orlando is for tourists, but I was a tourist here for YEARS before I was a resident, and since living here, I have discovered things that I never knew Orlando had.

This is the first city that I've ever lived in that's not on the coast. I thought I would really miss it, but, so far I haven't as much as I thought I would. Truth is, it's only 90 miles to Tampa, so if you're craving the Gulf, head West. If it's waves that you're after, that's even better news because you're only 50 or 60 miles from the Atlantic. And your close enough to other major cities like Gainesville, Jacksonville and Daytona to make a day or weekend trip. Nothing beats being in the center of the state!

Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,672,176 times
Obviously being here on the Orlando forum you will get people that prefer Orlando to Miami or Tampa.

It seems to me you are really leaning toward Miami there just aren't the jobs. What however is preventing you from accepting a job here in Orlando and just renting for a bit instead of jumping into purchasing something. That way you can be employed and get to know the city before making a commitment like buying a home, and still keep your options open by applying to Miami jobs?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 PM

165 posts, read 345,744 times
Didn't read all of the posts but UCF is here and full of beautiful women. Go get it!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 35,445 times
I am a single lady who moved to Orlando and it's not the place to be. No jobs are here. You will run into annoying tourists everywhere. Go somewhere else. I have never been to Miami, but have not heard good things about it from people who have been there. Maybe Ft. Lauderdale or Daytona Beach? I really have no clue where the nightlife is. Downtown Orlando I hear is nice.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 735 times
I am a single female that just recently moved from miami to orlando. Ive also lived in tampa for 6 months. Can't speak from a guys perspective but I can tell you everything in the first post is pretty much true. Miami/sfl is home to me. And will always be no other city in my opinion can compare. You dont need to speak Spanish to live there however it better your chances in the professional job market. If you like to socialize you'll find yourself probably learning a little spanish. So. Fl can be filled with a lot superficial ppl but you can find alot of down to earth ppl. A lot of ppl( including celebrities) opt to live on the west of I95, broward or palm beach county, brickell, or coral gables area. In my opinion they provide the best of suburban lifestyle like Orlando. Yes you can expect a 45 minutes drive to the beach, but it is better than 3hr drive. Aventura is a great area as well. You would be about 15 minutes away from miami beach still 45 minutes from sobe. 20 minutes away from hardrock and 30 minutes away from ft. Lauderdale beach. The driving never bothered me. You'll get to know the heavy traffic schedules and learn local routes to get you to where u need to be, just as fast. I took a job here in orlando. I am just now getting to know the city. Cant tell you much yet. Just the cost of living is better. I go to miami every other weekend. But I am enjoy the atmosphere in Orlando. Follow your heart. cant go wrong with either choice honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or