Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,034 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Orlando area this summer after my youngest goes off to college. I am in my mid-50s and my two sons will be in college at the University of Florida so it is just me.

I will be retiring, but hope to get a job at Disney World. I am a big Disney fan.

I want a community that is like "Cheers". I want to know my neighbors and have BBQs. I want a place where there are activities (like a travel club) that residents attend. I have never had that. Where I live now (in Georgia), no one knows anyone. Everyone stays indoors.

I know Celebration is more expensive and has a restrictive HOA and I am okay with that. Being part of a community is EXTREMELY important. Will I find that in Celebration? Champions Gate? Another neighborhood? I want to be within 20 minutes of Disney World.

THANKS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:23 PM

110 posts, read 140,956 times
Sadly, you are unlikely to find that anywhere in Central Florida because most people are not natives. Central Florida is a very transient place. If anywhere at all, it's going to be a place like Winter Park where the same people who are born there still live there. If you'd like to be a part of a community, it's unlikely you'll find that just by living somewhere in Central Florida. You'll have better luck volunteering, being a part of Cross Fit, joining a church/synagogue, etc.

If it means anything at all, I am far closer/involved in my neighborhood here in Chicago then I ever was in Orlando. We have block parties, frequently socialize and are pretty involved in the happenings here. I know every single person on my block.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:25 PM

536 posts, read 851,941 times
For a single person in their mid 50s...I would suggest that you MIGHT want to consider Solivita, which is 21.7 miles from the security gate to Disney World resort, typically about a 35-40 minute drive.

It's farther than you said you want to commute. But...

You'd get a LOT more house for the money than you will in Celebration, & there are tons of social clubs & activities. There is a very strong sense of community, more so than you might find in many other areas.

There's plenty of nicely built inventory to choose from, anywhere from 1200 sq ft to as much as 3,000 sq ft, all single story (no stairs) & both new construction & resales.

I'd be willing to bet you'd be looking at price savings of anywhere from $100K -200K over what a comparable home might cost you in Celebration.

I've met several people who live in Solivita who commute to jobs at Disney. I suggest it might well be worth your further investigation.

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 01-01-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 04:19 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
For a single person in their mid 50s...I would suggest that you MIGHT want to consider Solivita, which is 21.7 miles from the security gate to Disney World resort, typically about a 35-40 minute drive.

It's farther than you said you want to commute. But...

You'd get a LOT more house for the money than you will in Celebration, & there are tons of social clubs & activities. There is a very strong sense of community, more so than you might find in many other areas.

There's plenty of nicely built inventory to choose from, anywhere from 1200 sq ft to as much as 3,000 sq ft, all single story (no stairs) & both new construction & resales.

I'd be willing to bet you'd be looking at price savings of anywhere from $100K -200K over what a comparable home might cost you in Celebration.

I've met several people who live in Solivita who commute to jobs at Disney. I suggest it might well be worth your further investigation.
Reading comprehension ... 20 mins of Disney World. Don't give up, do you ?

Old 01-01-2015, 04:51 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,146 times
You might look in the Del Webb communities in ChampionsGate and Davenport. I have a friend who lives in ChampionsGate and always seems to be active with all sorts of community events. The commute to Disney isn't bad from there.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Reading comprehension ... 20 mins of Disney World. Don't give up, do you ?
Take a hike leftee. You have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Intelligent people might very well consider saving $100K+ in housing costs for an additional 20 minute commute.

I'm sure GatorGirl can make her own decisions. What's it to you?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
You might look in the Del Webb communities in ChampionsGate and Davenport. I have a friend who lives in ChampionsGate and always seems to be active with all sorts of community events. The commute to Disney isn't bad from there.
I agree that Del Webb in Champions Gate would also be worth GatorGirl's consideration.

However, I personally find the homes built by AV at Solivita to have slightly nicer architectural layouts, & possibly a little more competitive pricing.

And no, I'm not on their payroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPylFCHqLk

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 01-01-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Take a hike leftee. You have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Intelligent people might very well consider saving $100K+ in housing costs for an additional 20 minute commute.

I'm sure GatorGirl can make her own decisions. What's it to you?
Not going anywhere Harry ... keep up the good sales pitch though. Poinciana is another crime ridden area full of chusma. It's obvious you only care about the sale and padding your wallet.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I agree that Del Webb in Champions Gate would also be worth GatorGirl's consideration.

However, I personally find the homes built by AV at Solivita to have slightly nicer architectural layouts, & possibly a little more competitive pricing.

And no, I'm not on their payroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPylFCHqLk
But I'm sure you'd take the referral fee, wouldn't you ?

Old 01-01-2015, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,034 times
I did think about Solvita, but I do want to stay closer to Disney (and the other theme parks) and I do not want a 55+ community. I do appreciate the suggestion though, BrokerHarry. Every little bit of information helps and you never know.

Any more input about the "community" feel of Celebration and Champions Gate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando