U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM

20 posts, read 63,621 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much norrodh! Youre the exact kind of person I was hoping to hear from! And I have learned to read these posts and think about what I would say about my city on that subject and what some people who love it here would say. I was scared for a bit, but I have determined that I am going to come down there and give it a shot. My friend and I have a countdown and we are so excited. I am glad to know you feel safe and enjoy it. I am pretty sure I will be the same way. Thank you again, you just made my night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM

135 posts, read 385,898 times
Glad to hear that it made your night!! Some people think they know it all but you need to find the people who have actually experienced it and actually work there to find out the real truth! I can't believe how many people on here give info about Disney and they dont even work there or anything. HGEBEL has been a real good source for me on here. He actually works at disney and he gave me all the info (thanks again Harry!!) I needed to get myself here. We live right behind Disney in Winter Garden and if you are thinking of working for Disney, its an area that is mostly Disney employees and I find it very, very safe. Now of course, as you get closer to the city, you will find areas not so nice. So before you move to an area, just post it here so a few of us can guide you if its a good place or not. Good Luck in whatever you do and dont wait too long to apply to disney because you dont want to miss the hiring frenzy they do before the summer! It quiets down towards the end of the summer! Take care!

Noreen

Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM

We are looking at Clermont - I've heard nothing but good things about it and its not far from Disney at all. Unfortunately we can't come down until late July due to her last semester of college so I can't do much about the timing. But I am not giving up hope and I keep looking every day for more info about our future home.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

53 posts, read 149,088 times
What should one wear to a Disney interview? I am asking for my 26 year old son.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

From what I've heard - treat it like any other job. Be professional. Don't go in all Disney crazy. They like that you enjoy the company but they are looking at you as a possible part of the company, not a fan.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM

385 posts, read 1,236,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover215 View Post
My friend and I are moving to Florida in late July/ early August. Originally we were planning to apply for the job at the casting center when we got there...but then I found out about wait listing...which is the better idea?

I would prefer to be a Photopass Photographer but I realize that is a hard job to get due to availability and I am willing to do something else. She wants to be a desk clerk at a hotel. Does that affect what we should do? Thank you for any info in advance!!!
I am a front desk clerk (Resort Guest Service Host in Disney terminology). This job is transfers only for full-time, you can't get hired into it as a full-time cast member no matter how much experience you have. Transfers are strictly by seniority, again experience plays no part in the transfer process. I had to wait until I had two years seniority before I got the job; at the moment you need three years or more. Right now the job they need most is housekeepers, but they are usually hiring merchandise, attractions, and quick service foods as well; and of course other jobs will open up for new hires from time to time. Once she gets her foot in the door she starts accumulating seniority that she can use to transfer to a better job. Note that although the transfers are based on seniority once you are on the transfer list, to get on the transfer list for front desk in the first place you have to pass an interview at casting, it's not a difficult interview in any case, but with front desk experience she should ace it with no problem.

Photopass is not union and has a competitive hiring process. Make sure you have a good portfolio and brush up on your interviewing skills. Be willing to take something else while you are waiting (again, get your foot in the door). If you get a job in the parks you will get to talk to a lot of Photopass photographers in the breakrooms, they should be able to give you good tips. I know Photopass used to hire new hires full-time, I don't know if they still do.

To transfer you have to have worked at Disney World six months.

Generally jobs at Disney pay a little less than the same job elsewhere in Orlando and a lot less than the same job in some other areas. However, the medical benefits are pretty phenomenal, you have a pension if you are in a union job, and the working environment can be really good. It can also be really bad, people tend to either hate working here or love it. I took a 66% pay cut going to Disney and have never regretted it, but if you have external obligations (I did not) you will have to seriously consider whether you can afford to work here. As long as you can afford working here, I highly recommend it as a workplace.

Note that if you have any skills (for example, if you have a CDL) there may be better paying jobs you can start on as a new hire.

-Harry

Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwltrs View Post
What should one wear to a Disney interview? I am asking for my 26 year old son.

Thanks
I would definitely dress professionally; when I interviewed I did and was one of the only people there who did. I will make him stand out in a good way, which is important because there are more people now applying for less jobs than when I started.

-Harry

Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
I am a front desk clerk (Resort Guest Service Host in Disney terminology). This job is transfers only for full-time, you can't get hired into it as a full-time cast member no matter how much experience you have. Transfers are strictly by seniority, again experience plays no part in the transfer process. I had to wait until I had two years seniority before I got the job; at the moment you need three years or more. Right now the job they need most is housekeepers, but they are usually hiring merchandise, attractions, and quick service foods as well; and of course other jobs will open up for new hires from time to time. Once she gets her foot in the door she starts accumulating seniority that she can use to transfer to a better job. Note that although the transfers are based on seniority once you are on the transfer list, to get on the transfer list for front desk in the first place you have to pass an interview at casting, it's not a difficult interview in any case, but with front desk experience she should ace it with no problem.

Photopass is not union and has a competitive hiring process. Make sure you have a good portfolio and brush up on your interviewing skills. Be willing to take something else while you are waiting (again, get your foot in the door). If you get a job in the parks you will get to talk to a lot of Photopass photographers in the breakrooms, they should be able to give you good tips. I know Photopass used to hire new hires full-time, I don't know if they still do.

To transfer you have to have worked at Disney World six months.

Generally jobs at Disney pay a little less than the same job elsewhere in Orlando and a lot less than the same job in some other areas. However, the medical benefits are pretty phenomenal, you have a pension if you are in a union job, and the working environment can be really good. It can also be really bad, people tend to either hate working here or love it. I took a 66% pay cut going to Disney and have never regretted it, but if you have external obligations (I did not) you will have to seriously consider whether you can afford to work here. As long as you can afford working here, I highly recommend it as a workplace.

Note that if you have any skills (for example, if you have a CDL) there may be better paying jobs you can start on as a new hire.

-Harry
Thank you for all the helpful information. I will pass it on to Callie that she will have to wait for the desk clerk position. I am willing to do something else to get my foot in the door and so is she. We don't have anything except the typical rent and bills so we should have no problem working for less. We have both discussed the pros and cons. We prefer to have a job where we enjoy going to work more than having more money and being miserable like we are now.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 PM

To answer your original question, I would definitely apply before coming to Orlando. There have been just recently a lot of overtime shifts posted on the cast member website, hopefully that will correlate to more hiring. If you want to come on as a housekeeper they would probably hire you if you lived in Antarctica.

-Harry

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM

135 posts, read 385,898 times
Thanks Harry, I knew you would be able to answer some of their questions since you helped me so much!! Also, MusicLover215, Clermont is really nice and we were looking into moving there ourselves but the traffic can get pretty bad and we just decided that Winter Garden was better for us because we didnt want that much of a commute. Now we are even looking at the area right behind Magic Kingdom because even the traffic in Winter Garden can get bad!! But I still like Clermont very much!!! Good Luck and let us know how you make out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or