U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM

71 posts, read 182,610 times

Advertisements

Great thread...thank you Harry and norrodh for all this great info. We are hoping to move down to Florida by the summer of 2013!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

20 posts, read 63,604 times
Thank you so much for all the help and I will let you know how it works out...we leave in 130 days!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 AM

35 posts, read 136,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
Well I work for disney as a bus driver and I applied before we left NC because we wanted to make sure I would have a job and Disney was very adaptable to my schedule of moving to Florida and all. They didnt not pick me because I lived elsewhere. I think in your case since you have a little money saved up, I probably would apply a month before you get here and then you can start the interview process and all. Some jobs there, like the bus driving was a long process to get in with drug testing and background checks and all. I am now working there 10 months and really like it. Wish they paid more for the responsibility I have! lol! The perks are great though!! We go to the parks alot and get our family and friends in so that has been real nice. My husband also works at Disney as a mechanic on Space Mountain but he had to go through a whole different avenue to get there. For those jobs, they hire through the Union halls but I have to say he has a pretty good job and making really good money for Florida. Good Luck in whatever you do!! I would take the advice on this board with a grain of salt and do what you need to do. Dont let anyone tell you that you shouldnt move here because of this or that, do what you feel is the right thing to do. If I listened to half these people, I would have been scared out of my wits to move here and I have to say I like it better than I thought and feel pretty safe! You find out the areas to stay away from! Good Luck!

Noreen
that was a great post finally a positive person!!!! Hey ppl try living in Buffalo, NY for 1 year see how you feel about Florida.....wanna talk about taxes, no jobs, poor economy, no culture, high crime, random shootings because the hoods are bored, poor public transportation, pot holes galore, crappy weather 8 months of rain snow cold gray skies, mosquitoes the size of my fist, coyotes, poor education system, I could go on for days......

Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 AM

35 posts, read 136,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover215 View Post
We are looking at Clermont - I've heard nothing but good things about it and its not far from Disney at all. Unfortunately we can't come down until late July due to her last semester of college so I can't do much about the timing. But I am not giving up hope and I keep looking every day for more info about our future home.
thats where we have been looking as well, its beautiful with the hills, safe, lower crime, great housing deals, and not too far from Disney. Been looking and trying to move for 4 years but having the worst time applying and competing against locals. Hubby is fed and I am 12 yr fed worker but want to be at Disney working. Just wish some jobs would rear their head! Best of luck and thank you for the great thread!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM

20 posts, read 63,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbills03 View Post
thats where we have been looking as well, its beautiful with the hills, safe, lower crime, great housing deals, and not too far from Disney. Been looking and trying to move for 4 years but having the worst time applying and competing against locals. Hubby is fed and I am 12 yr fed worker but want to be at Disney working. Just wish some jobs would rear their head! Best of luck and thank you for the great thread!
Competing with the locals? I take it you are applying for the upper jobs, not hourly? I don't mind starting at the bottom and working up.. I am in my early twenties so it's not like I don't have the time to put into it, lol. And you're welcome though I have to admit the thread was purely for selfish reasons

Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 AM

189 posts, read 426,746 times
Yes, thanks! Great info!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 PM

135 posts, read 385,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbills03 View Post
Just keep trying - jobs will start to open up!! This is the time last year where I got hired and a few months later my husband got hired. He did have to go to Universal for a bit and that helped him land a really good job with Disney. He is a mechanic on Space Mountain like I mentioned in a previous post!! Some of the really good Union jobs - you have to go directly to the Union Halls to get them like Mechanics, Electricians, etc. If you have a skill they are looking for like a CDL, they will definitely call you like they did me!! Good luck!! Just keep trying!

Noreen

Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM

20 posts, read 28,964 times
Wait until your a local, I'm an hour away, and I never got call for an interview even,and I was way qualified for the position . Oh yeah,take a Rosetta Stone language too, that will seal the deal.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 AM

189 posts, read 426,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolride View Post
Wait until your a local, I'm an hour away, and I never got call for an interview even,and I was way qualified for the position . Oh yeah,take a Rosetta Stone language too, that will seal the deal.

Really? Is a second language that much of a plus for positions at WDW? If yes, I'm getting Rosetta Stone asap!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM

385 posts, read 1,236,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriweather View Post
Really? Is a second language that much of a plus for positions at WDW? If yes, I'm getting Rosetta Stone asap!
It's definitely a plus, but not necessary. Anybody who tells you you need to know another language to work at Disney (or live in Orlando) is full of it. Many is the time that I had a Spanish speaking guest who couldn't speak a word of English and I was not able to find a Spanish-speaking cast member. We do have a language bank you can call to get a translator on the phone. In terms of how often you run into a guest that doesn't speak English I would say Spanish and Portuguese are the most common, about equal. Spanish speaking guests are more common than Portuguese guests, but less likely to need a translator. Having said that, most will be able to speak pretty good English but may be more comfortable in Spanish or Portuguese. Then I would say French and Japanese are three and four. Those would be the most useful second languages to know. I think there are a total of 14 languages that you can get put on your nametag.

-Harry

Last edited by hgebel; 03-30-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or