U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM

3,454 posts, read 5,855,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
It's definitely a plus, but not necessary. Anybody who tells you you need to know another language to work at Disney (or live in Orlando) is full of it. Many is the time that I had a Spanish speaking guest who couldn't speak a word of English and I was not able to find a Spanish-speaking cast member. We do have a language bank you can call to get a translator on the phone. In terms of how often you run into a guest that doesn't speak English I would say Spanish and Portuguese are the most common, about equal. Spanish speaking guests are more common than Portuguese guests, but less likely to need a translator. Having said that, most will be able to speak pretty good English but may be more comfortable in Spanish or Portuguese. Then I would say French and Japanese are three and four. Those would be the most useful second languages to know. I think there are a total of 14 languages that you can get put on your nametag.

-Harry
If you work for the company you can get access to free Rosetta Stone lessons if you choose to learn another language, too. Sometimes when a guest/customer is giving you a hard time and claiming to not understand because they don't speak English, it shocks them when you repeat the warning in their own language. Also love it when they think you don't understand what they say to each other and I can say something to them in their own language. Of course always with a smile. <g> Talk about embarrassed people sometimes. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 PM

135 posts, read 385,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
It's definitely a plus, but not necessary. Anybody who tells you you need to know another language to work at Disney (or live in Orlando) is full of it. Many is the time that I had a Spanish speaking guest who couldn't speak a word of English and I was not able to find a Spanish-speaking cast member. We do have a language bank you can call to get a translator on the phone. In terms of how often you run into a guest that doesn't speak English I would say Spanish and Portuguese are the most common, about equal. Spanish speaking guests are more common than Portuguese guests, but less likely to need a translator. Having said that, most will be able to speak pretty good English but may be more comfortable in Spanish or Portuguese. Then I would say French and Japanese are three and four. Those would be the most useful second languages to know. I think there are a total of 14 languages that you can get put on your nametag.

-Harry
Definitely agree with Harry, you absolutely DO Not need to know another language to get the job! You either have the skill they are looking for or you dont! I just happened to apply at a good time when they were hiring tons of bus drivers - I had the skill, did well on the interview, said all the right things, had a great driving record, and they hired me. Also, even though I wanted fulltime - I got hired part-time and I took it to get my foot in the door and was made full-time within 3 weeks! So dont NOT take the job even if they offer part-time because its easy to move around once your in!! If that poster is not getting a job, its because something (skill or job record) is keeping him from getting the job. Disney knows what they are looking for and thats what they hire!! If they dont like your haircolor, they wont hire you or if your not willing to submit to their requirements, they will not hire you! They are very strict especially if you are working directly with the guests! My sister-n-law went for a photopass position and she didnt get hired because they didnt like her haircolor (she dies it alot and it was like a strawberry color which she tried to convince them that it was natural - which was a joke!) and they also didnt want her to be too creative like a professional photographer would be because they just want you to take guest's pictures real quick because people will just buy it whether they like the pose or not - Disney makes alot of money in this field! Needless to say, she did not get the job! They know what they are looking for! She is a great photographer but she knows too much and probably would have taken too long with each client! They want to make money!!

Noreen

Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,236,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
My sister-n-law went for a photopass position and she didnt get hired because they didnt like her haircolor (she dies it alot and it was like a strawberry color which she tried to convince them that it was natural - which was a joke!) and they also didnt want her to be too creative like a professional photographer would be because they just want you to take guest's pictures real quick because people will just buy it whether they like the pose or not - Disney makes alot of money in this field! Needless to say, she did not get the job! They know what they are looking for! She is a great photographer but she knows too much and probably would have taken too long with each client! They want to make money!!

Noreen
The Disney Look book specifically says that the hair has to be dyed a natural color. Also, if you have tattoos they will either require you to take a job with a costume that covers them or mask them. I know several people who were offered transfers to lifeguard positions and then were turned down after the transfer due to tattoos. Some departments that don't hire full-time but hire part time have such long waiting lists of full-time people trying to transfer in that you will probably have to transfer back out to get a full-time job (then you can transfer back in once you have some full-time seniority). If you plan on working at Disney for a long time it's definitely better to take a part-time job to get your foot in the door.

-Harry

Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 PM

135 posts, read 385,736 times
I know that some of the bus drivers who have tattoos have to wear long-sleeved shirts to hide the tattoos even in the summer! I actually got spoken to by a manager the other day because I had some papers sticking out of my pockets! Sometimes it can be ridiculous but they want to portray a certain image and they are pretty strict about it!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 PM

53 posts, read 148,952 times
My son applied to Disney on 4/17/11 and was interviewed and hired on 4/20/11!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM

20 posts, read 63,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwltrs View Post
My son applied to Disney on 4/17/11 and was interviewed and hired on 4/20/11!
That's great!! Any more details you are willing to share? Process, job(s) he applied for and the one he received?

Either way, Congrats to your son!!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,947,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahiawa View Post
for HARRY, or any one else who has been thru this. i applied for the disney reservation center and they scheduled me for a phone interview next week. however, i am from out of state ( pacific NW ). the job market here is horrendous !

after the phone interview, i believe i have to go thru filling out paperwork, taking a personality test, etc. my last job was for a cruise line (sales) , so i believe i can work either at WDW or for disney cruises. (i believe i can pass the exams).

anyone ( HARRY ), how long did u have to wait before disney made a decision ? did u actually just relocate there and then apply ? gosh, i am getting nervous. i really don't know, just assume i am going to get it ? ( i cannot fly back if i get the offer and then fly back to orlando ).

PLS HELP ME, anyone ??
thx you so much !! this forum is absolutely so helpful !!!
The cruise line and WDW are independently operated and they do not pull from the same applicant pool. You can't even apply at one if you are working at the other. You have to quit and then apply.

By the way, the reservation center isn't at Disney World.

Do not assume anything. I worked for a division of Disney for five years and there are a lot of reasons they'll do a TBNT on an applicant--even one who initially looked great. When I was hired it took about a week from when I applied until they called me for an interview. About a week later they said they wanted to hire me, but had to first do reference checks which took forever. Five weeks after I applied I was made an offer. Two weeks later I started training (Tradditons and division/job specific), and then another three weeks before I was on the schedule. It is not a short process, and I was a local. I applied in mid-August, I didn't work my first real shift until about a week before Halloween.

One question--how long is it going to take you to move? Pretty much once they make an offer, they want you there within a week to start Traditions.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 PM

385 posts, read 1,236,266 times
Quote:
for HARRY, or any one else who has been thru this. i applied for the disney reservation center and they scheduled me for a phone interview next week. however, i am from out of state ( pacific NW ). the job market here is horrendous !

after the phone interview, i believe i have to go thru filling out paperwork, taking a personality test, etc. my last job was for a cruise line (sales) , so i believe i can work either at WDW or for disney cruises. (i believe i can pass the exams).

anyone ( HARRY ), how long did u have to wait before disney made a decision ? did u actually just relocate there and then apply ? gosh, i am getting nervous. i really don't know, just assume i am going to get it ? ( i cannot fly back if i get the offer and then fly back to orlando ).

PLS HELP ME, anyone ??
thx you so much !! this forum is absolutely so helpful !!!
When I was hired in 2007 the entry-level job market at Disney (and in Orlando) was completely different than it is now. I moved down here on Friday, 27 July, looked around for a job for a few days, saw an add in the paper on Wednesday for Disney, walked into Casting at 8AM Saturday, 4 August, and was hired by 9AM. My interview was just the casting rep asking me if I wanted to apply to security (my career before coming to Florida was as a security manager), me saying I didn't, and her giving me a list of open positions to pick from. I took Traditions on Saturday, 11 August.

The process is COMPLETELY different, much more involved, and takes much longer now, and I'm not sure how much I can help. As has been mentioned, DCL, DRC, and WDW are different entities and have different hiring processes. If you can't afford to fly back if you don't get the job, will you be able to afford to live in here until you get your first paycheck? Even if you are hired on the spot it could be three weeks to a month or more before you get your first full paycheck depending on when you Traditions and other training is scheduled. I know we have several people on this forum that have worked at DRC, so hopefully they can give you better information. I would also strongly recommend asking for information on one of the Disney forums, where you will be much more likely to find a recent hire. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

-Harry

Edit:
Also, since you are applying for DRC, you may need to know they have two centers, one near Walt Disney World and one in Tampa.

Last edited by hgebel; 09-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,947,716 times
Quote:
thank you HARRY and ANNERK ! i actually have points for ( 2 ) round trip txts due to my accumulating miles on delta. if they move me to the in - person interview stage, i will just go and then fly back and wait for a decision. yes or no i gave it a shot right ?
FYI--the seats available for points are generally capacity controlled, which means that they flights you need might not have seats available. Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's something you need to be aware of.

Quote:
HARRY, no really u have been a GREAT HELP !! if it is yes, i will have to pack up my clothes, etc. i do have enough savings to actually live for (6) months.
That's a good plan. If you have six months savings and have a place to stay or are willing to get into a roommate situation to live on $10 an hour, you should be fine--for people with no restrictions on availability who are willing to work service level jobs, there are jobs to be found.

One question--you're planning on flying back and forth--what about transportation? While not impossible to live here without a car, it's going to add a lot of time to your commute.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM

586 posts, read 981,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
Well I work for disney as a bus driver and I applied before we left NC because we wanted to make sure I would have a job and Disney was very adaptable to my schedule of moving to Florida and all. They didnt not pick me because I lived elsewhere. I think in your case since you have a little money saved up, I probably would apply a month before you get here and then you can start the interview process and all. Some jobs there, like the bus driving was a long process to get in with drug testing and background checks and all. I am now working there 10 months and really like it. Wish they paid more for the responsibility I have! lol! The perks are great though!! We go to the parks alot and get our family and friends in so that has been real nice. My husband also works at Disney as a mechanic on Space Mountain but he had to go through a whole different avenue to get there. For those jobs, they hire through the Union halls but I have to say he has a pretty good job and making really good money for Florida. Good Luck in whatever you do!! I would take the advice on this board with a grain of salt and do what you need to do. Dont let anyone tell you that you shouldnt move here because of this or that, do what you feel is the right thing to do. If I listened to half these people, I would have been scared out of my wits to move here and I have to say I like it better than I thought and feel pretty safe! You find out the areas to stay away from! Good Luck!

Noreen
Hi Noreen, sorry to bother you again, but just wanted to ask another question, I was asked to set up an appt. time for the Bus Driver interview, I was totally not prepared for this to happen so quickly, they only give you up to 2 weeks to get there for an interview, being that I live in NC at this time, any suggestions as how to respond or not, and are there penalties for not going forward with the hiring process at this time?
Also, all of a sudden The email I received says you must have. Florida drivers license at time of interview? I switched my Fl license to NC when We moved to NC ? Any suggestions ? Thank You!
Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or