Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 PM

97 posts, read 263,933 times

Advertisements

You have them there, in the lakes, right? Not being from alligator country, I don't have the first idea on what to expect. Please give me Alligators 101: Are they prevalent? Do people try to keep some lakes alligator free? What are the rules of thumb for avoiding/dealing with/whatever that everyone in Florida knows?

I saw kids swimming in Lake Victoria by Rollins College and was wondering about that...

My daughter will probably go to college there and I'd like her to know! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
I live in Florida but don't live by a lake,the way I look at it is they can be in any lake or canal so i wouldn't be swimming in either.I was having lunch in Celebration Florida one day and while waiting for the place to open up we sat next to the lake by Market street and no more than 5 minutes later we see something moving in the water and yes it was a gator which came right over and stopped right by the railing of a sidewalk where several people where.It just stayed there like waiting for people to throw it food.I assume people have thrown it food before as it was strange how it just sat there looking at the people as the people looked back at it,it wasn't huge but not tiny either.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
you are refering to Lake Virginia. People swim, jet ski, kayak, water ski, etc in there all the time. gators have been spotted in there though i have never seen one in that particular lake. So far noone has had any problems but you never know. If you google alligator behavior you will learn alot. Feeding gators is a bad thing because those gators equate people with food and they don't know which is which.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM

793 posts, read 2,523,998 times
Gators tend to be just as skittish of people as we are of them, but there are the ones with no fear or aggressive sometimes due to people feeding them and when reported are removed, a quick call the gator hotline.

Just remember to be on guard when around water especially during the spring mating season.

I live on a pond and only one has showed up to date and it was quickly removed by the gator guy allowed to capture them.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Gators seem to be rampant here in Florida. I was told once soon after moving here that if I see a body of water, I should just assume that there are gators in it. I'm always amazed at the number of people who think nothing about jumping into a lake in this state. Others are free to do so, but I will play it safe and stay out of the lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. Even if most gators are skittish, all it takes is one that's not! The only water I dare venture into (besides in my bathroom) are swimming pools and the ocean, and even in the ocean I don't go out more than about waist-deep just in case of sharks. I don't want to mess with anything that's bigger than me and loaded with teeth!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 AM

167 posts, read 409,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinAustin View Post
You have them there, in the lakes, right? Not being from alligator country, I don't have the first idea on what to expect. Please give me Alligators 101: Are they prevalent? Do people try to keep some lakes alligator free? What are the rules of thumb for avoiding/dealing with/whatever that everyone in Florida knows?

I saw kids swimming in Lake Victoria by Rollins College and was wondering about that...

My daughter will probably go to college there and I'd like her to know! Thank you!
Yes. There a quite a few Gators around the Central Florida area. Driving on the 417 or 528, you can see a few of them basking in the sun in the small ponds/lakes. We have a few in the small lake down the street from my house. If i'm walking my dog near the lake at night i'll use common sense and stay on the sidewalk across the street from the lake. Don't want to spook one! Stay out of the lakes, don't poke one or bug one if you see one (people still do it on the golf courses), and use common sense then they just become a part of your daily life.

Oh and don't walk around with chicken carcasses hanging off your belt buckle and they won't hurt ya.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 35,499 times
If there is a body of water, assume there will be gators in it. I live near two major wildlife habitats, and I can you first hand that while gator attacks happen, they are rare. Most gators are scared of people, so if you enter their territory, they will either flee, or they'll hiss at you if you're really close. However, because of humans feeding gators, there have more attacks in recent years, because gators now equate humans with food - they can't distinguish the difference. Central Florida has a lot of parks with natural bodies of water that are monitored to keep gators out - so you can enjoy the beautiful springs of central Florida without the fear of being attacked.

Like a previous poster said, spring is the gator's mating season. Gators are overly hormonal and particularly aggressive - this is actually the time of year where most gator attacks happen. Keep this in mind if you do any lake activities, otherwise, your gator experience should be pretty uneventful.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM

58 posts, read 163,183 times
Yes, there are plenty of gators around. And any lake/pond of much size will most likely have one or more of these overgrown lizards taking residence there. They only need to have enough food source to sustain them....and they'll travel from pond to pond in search of food. I have lots of friends who ski and swim in the area lakes (and I grew up doing the same!), but my preference now is to stay in the pool where I can see what's under me!

Gators usually won't mess with ya - they're like other creatures in the wild -scared of humans UNLESS they're hungry and see you as a potential meal. Or (like other posters have mentioned) you mess with them in mating season. Just remember - when you're in the water - you're lower on the food chain - so be cautious. Having said that, if there's a group of people splashing, making noise - a gator will usually go the other way.

For fresh water swimming around here, I'd look at Blue, DeLeon, Rock, or Wekiva Springs.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
The alligators are unpredictable and you need to keep away from the water to be safe. They are incredibly fast and can grab you before you have time to even think about running away.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMC Musicman View Post
Just remember - when you're in the water - you're lower on the food chain - so be cautious.
I would actually argue that we eat a lot more of them than they eat of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando