U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM

326 posts, read 1,018,210 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Floridian so I know the theme parks well enough but I want to know about Orlando's other half the city part. I got free passes to theme parks this weekend one of them is Aquatica which we might just save those passes for better weather. I managed to get a steal on a hotel downtown so I wondered what else is there to do in the city Orlando. Some of my favorite things to do is eat! If I had a penny for every buffet in Orlando but thats not what I'm looking for.
Are there any:

Ethnic neighborhoods like Miami's Little Havanna or Little Haiti or NY's Chinatown where I can go to eat good plentiful family recipes cooked meals?

What are the best musuems (NOT ART). Even house turned into museums like the Flagler or Vizcaya.

What do the locals do for fun?

Thanks Goofykid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:59 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,613,696 times
Yes, yes and yes. The nearest ethnic enclaves I can think of are Vietnamese/Asian district on Colonial/Mills. You can find everything from Pho to Dim Sum to Thai. I would reccomend Tasty Wok, Ming Bistro, Pho 88 and Pho Vinh. There are also other eclectic restaurants all over this area. A little further down if head down Semoran Blvd. you can find many authentic Spanish restaurants.

Museums, nearest one to you would be the Arts Factory downtown on Orange and Pine. There are also some smaller galleries in that area and the Orange County History Center. Head further down Orange to Loch Haven park where the city has it's Science Musuem and various other museums.

As far as locals, try heading Thornton Park/Lake Eola or Park Ave in Winter Park where people just stroll around, grab a bite or drank, sometimes there's live music on the sidewalk or at the cafes.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 PM

26 posts, read 60,788 times
I second what CR said, but would like to expound on the "What do the locals do?" bit. Not sure of your age, but my husband and I are 27 and 30 and we enjoy the nightlife on Church Street downtown, personally. Also downtown, check out Mochi Frozen Yogurt underneath the movie theater, Brix (AMAZING grub), and Finnhenry's (my 2nd fave bar). If your heading to Thornton Park, my favorite bar is The Peacock Room, it's a local dive that I adore. The little Greek place next door to it is awesome also! Hue and Shari are both great restaurants in Thornton Park as well. You'll be surprised what you'll stumble upon just walking around!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow we"ll be in Sea World and for dinner were gonna eat at Four Rivers smokehouse for dinner herd alot of good things. Then well walk to downtown church street late night.

Sunday I think we'll skip Aquatica cause of the weather. Instead well probably spend the day in Winter Park checking out the sites and museums. Definetely checking out that Vietnam Asian community for dinner at night.

Thanks for everything helped me out alot.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow we"ll be in Sea World and for dinner were gonna eat at Four Rivers smokehouse for dinner herd alot of good things. Then well walk to downtown church street late night.

Sunday I think we'll skip Aquatica cause of the weather. Instead well probably spend the day in Winter Park checking out the sites and museums. Definetely checking out that Vietnam Asian community for dinner at night.

Sounds like a plan! And you couldn't have picked a better weekend weather wise!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,021,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post

Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it goes.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Hello Orlandians

Just got back into town tired than ever my girl dragged me to one of the outlets before we left. My overall assesment I had a great time probably better then if I would of stayed on the touristy side of town which I probably will never do again. I hate snobby tourist just as much as the next Floridian.

But anyways Saturday went as planned Sea World then 4Rivers the wait was so worth it! I saw the owner prepping our food which is so important when the restaurant isn't in the hands of some manager. I loved that they gave out ice cream for free. A friend of my and my girls was actually flew into Orlando that night she met us at Grafitti Junction in Thornton Park great neighborhood with even better location. We walked from our hotel about 3.5 miles round trip we walked around Lake Eola very beautiful. I wouldn't recomend a female walk by themselves the way we walked along Magnolia to the Lake. Luckily I a pretty big guy who's lived in pretty bad neighborhoods so no problem we just walked back along a more desirable Orange N.

The next day after much deliberation we went to Aquatica. We stopped at Tabla Bar n Grill an Indian restaurant for their buffer. Delicious for the value as was everywhere we ate. Aquatica was perfect the water felt warm because it was somewhat cool no lines either. Afterwards we crashed at out hotel room. Then later we went to than Vietnemes neighborhood on Colonial and Mills. Was everything I had hoped for a little small but deffinetely legit. We ate a Little Siagon was recomended by Zagat. Next time we'll eat at the place on the other end of the block alot of locals were in there but my girl had her mind set on Little Saigon you know how that is. Food was amazing the Mango Bubble Tea was like a dessert I had never tried Bubble Tea before. We went into the markets afterwards very authentic. This neighborhood is deffinetely bigger than the Asian neighborhood in Miami which doesn't say much either but who say's theirs no Asians in Florida?!

We walked around Downtown and Church Street. Reminded me of back home in West Palm Clematic street. Saw the new Amway arena too.

This was deffinetley a new side of Orlando I want to see again. I hate places like I-drive and that area. I would actally like to live in Orlando except one reason and I'm sure you've herd in before. I need to be by a beach I go atleast twice a week. But overall great town I had a hrd time thinking which was my favorite place I ate at which is good.

Thank You all for your help
Goofykid

Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Glad you took in the "real Orlando" and enjoyed. C'mon back anytime and we'll give a list of more new things to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or