U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 AM

37 posts, read 68,939 times

Advertisements

I have been looking myself over the last 5 or so months at making a transition to Lake Mary. My g/f will be able to transfer with her job at Paychex Inc. to Lake Mary but me on the other hand will have to find employment. How is it for the job market down in the area? Obviously, this is not the best time anywhere to be looking for work but I honestly need to get to warmer climate and all i'm doing by procrastinating is delaying my process of leaving. Unfortunately, times are rough and jobs are hard to find along with trying to sell my house here in Ohio but I am just trying to get an idea of the market down in Lake Mary area? As of now I have been working at a machine shop going on 7 years now and have been a Supervisor for the past 4. I am a 28y/o male who is also going to school for personal training & nutrition. To be honest, I do not want to get back into any sort of machine shop and would like to try something different. So basically I would be starting somewhere as entry level. Any suggestioins, comments, or info would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks to everyone ahead of time for the help!! Would also like to know best condo or apartment living in the area (Safety & Cleanliness are key)

Thanks,
Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:44 AM

20,203 posts, read 28,238,032 times
Welcome to Lake Mary!

Since you're willing to go entry level in terms of work and aren't specific, you'll find something. People here tend to do a good bit of whining about lack of work, though it's there if one doesn't have high expectations. The Orlando area (and much of Florida currently) is very much service-economy oriented and many move here from elsewhere expecting a multitude of 60K-70K professional positions. This is the land of chain restaurants, big box retailers and tourism. I recommend looking there or as mentioned a personal trainer position at one of the fitness center chains. In terms of where to live, Lake Mary has a number of nice places to check out. I have a friend who lives in the Arbor Lakes condos on 46-A who rents and likes it quite a bit. His rent is $700 a month for a one bedroom unit. The complex is very nicely landscaped, quiet, safe/gated and in a really convenient location. Hope this helps and feel free to direct message me for more info.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 AM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Welcome to Lake Mary!

Since you're willing to go entry level in terms of work and aren't specific, you'll find something. People here tend to do a good bit of whining about lack of work, though it's there if one doesn't have high expectations. The Orlando area (and much of Florida currently) is very much service-economy oriented and many move here from elsewhere expecting a multitude of 60K-70K professional positions. This is the land of chain restaurants, big box retailers and tourism. I recommend looking there or as mentioned a personal trainer position at one of the fitness center chains. In terms of where to live, Lake Mary has a number of nice places to check out. I have a friend who lives in the Arbor Lakes condos on 46-A who rents and likes it quite a bit. His rent is $700 a month for a one bedroom unit. The complex is very nicely landscaped, quiet, safe/gated and in a really convenient location. Hope this helps and feel free to direct message me for more info.
You took the words out of my mouth. I was going to say that we have so many gyms here, I'd look for a job at one of them. You can get a a nice 1 bedroom here for $500-$700. The condos at Regency Park in Lake Mary are an example. They are privately owned and you can find rentals on Craigslist.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:37 AM

Thank you very much Kyle and Becky!! It is highly appreciated. I am so ready to make a move and get out of Ohio. I will contiue to search as I have some time before I finish schooling and hopefully be able to sell my house!!! Yes I will be pretty open to entry level type work and obviously hoping my work ethic will pay off in time and can work my way up to making a decent living again. I would trade in a 20K-30K pay deduction just to be able to have nice weather and be happy where I am living. Im nervous to live in an apartment complex or townhome type set-up as I am not used to be over cramped by neighbors where I live but that is one of the sacrifices I will have to make. Thanks to both of you again, it is highly appreciated!!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 AM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg535353 View Post
Thank you very much Kyle and Becky!! It is highly appreciated. I am so ready to make a move and get out of Ohio. I will contiue to search as I have some time before I finish schooling and hopefully be able to sell my house!!! Yes I will be pretty open to entry level type work and obviously hoping my work ethic will pay off in time and can work my way up to making a decent living again. I would trade in a 20K-30K pay deduction just to be able to have nice weather and be happy where I am living. Im nervous to live in an apartment complex or townhome type set-up as I am not used to be over cramped by neighbors where I live but that is one of the sacrifices I will have to make. Thanks to both of you again, it is highly appreciated!!
Maybe, try a duplex. I like your thinking. It's about quality of life. If you have to cut back on some things to be happy, so be it.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,192,017 times
I grew up in Ohio, (Akron), so I feel your pain. I loved the summer,fall in Ohio, but those winters... You might try applying online to Whole Foods once you get here to get working real quick. I'm not sure what they pay, but their stores are always busy. Lake Mary seems very popular and don't hear many negatives about it. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 AM

Totsuka,

I am actually 10-15 minutes from Akron. I live in a town called Rootstown which is right by Kent. Thanks for your insight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or