Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 AM

43 posts, read 166,874 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My name is Kalie and my husband and I want to move from Utah to Florida. (the career program I am pursuing isn't offered in Utah colleges).
The cities that we are looking at are Gainesville, Winter Haven, and Fort Myers.
Can anyone give me advice on the best city to live in for 20's newly weds? Pro's a cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
All three are somewhat isolated in terms of bigger city "offerings". In terms of your age and being around folks who are at least somewhat similar (education driven) I would suggest Gainesville as it's primarily a college town.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM

58 posts, read 163,220 times
Just reading between the lines....if Utah colleges aren't offering what you need, are you thinking of FL universities? If so, I agree w/Kyle - Gainesville (U/F) would be the place to be. It would give you the most for a couple in their 20's. Also, it's location puts you about an hour from Jacksonville, probably 2 hrs from Orlando, and 2.5 hrs from Tampa (via I-75). Gainesville's still a small town....except for the university, it's pretty much country living.

Winter Haven is right in the center of the state - small town, but has been bolstered somewhat by developments like Champion's Gate. Other developments in the area (around I-4) include relatively new homes by builders like Lennar, US Homes, Mercedes and others.... It's been awhile since I've been in that area, but I think there is a new outlet mall that's been built right off the interstate. The big highway intersection there would be I-4 & Hwy 27. You'll love it there if you like warm temps (very warm in the summer) and orange trees. :-)

Ft. Myers (home of Thomas Edison) is a little larger than Winter Haven - not much, but a little...it's primary attraction being the beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. Much of that area - particularly around Point Estero has become condo/retirement communities....but many are VERY nice! Ft. Myers/Naples area are tropical.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 39,833 times
Don't do it. My husband and I moved from Colorado to Orlando last July. We are miserable here and plan to move back to Colorado as soon as possible. The weather here is great with exception to summer months when it's 100% humidity and very hot. You will have to live with roaches and other bugs no matter where you live. Everyone offers "pest control" but you will still have roaches. We have lizards that running around everywhere and they get into our home. We live next to a lake and the racoons are out of control. Flroida does have beautiful plants, flowers and birds. The majority of people here are rude and get ready for a lot of road rage. My kids have to be homeschooled due to the terrible schools and we live in a very upscale area. The crime will be much more than your use to. We visited many times before making the decision to move here and we thought we'd love it, but it's been just awful. We enjoyed Clearwater, Florida so I think there are some really nice places on the Gulf side of Florida. Just do a lot of research before moving here.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyisitsodifficult View Post
Don't do it. My husband and I moved from Colorado to Orlando last July. We are miserable here and plan to move back to Colorado as soon as possible. The weather here is great with exception to summer months when it's 100% humidity and very hot. You will have to live with roaches and other bugs no matter where you live. Everyone offers "pest control" but you will still have roaches. We have lizards that running around everywhere and they get into our home. We live next to a lake and the racoons are out of control. Flroida does have beautiful plants, flowers and birds. The majority of people here are rude and get ready for a lot of road rage. My kids have to be homeschooled due to the terrible schools and we live in a very upscale area. The crime will be much more than your use to. We visited many times before making the decision to move here and we thought we'd love it, but it's been just awful. We enjoyed Clearwater, Florida so I think there are some really nice places on the Gulf side of Florida. Just do a lot of research before moving here.
I've never found Orlando to be near as bad as you say. Rudeness has never bothered me here, either. I've only seen one incident of road rage. May I ask what upscale area has terrible schools?

To the OP- you'll probably have the most enjoyable experience in Gainesville or Ft. Meyers.. but they're all pretty small towns. Winter Haven is not a place I'd recommend to anyone young.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM

We are more looking at Ft Myers area, has anyone been there and can tell me a little about living there?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalpal View Post
We are more looking at Ft Myers area, has anyone been there and can tell me a little about living there?
Why Ft Myers? Is there a school there?

Most cities in FL are urban sprawl types... hard to get around.

The non 4 year college towns are not "exciting" usually for 20 year old's.. this is God's waiting room you know!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM

258 posts, read 812,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyisitsodifficult View Post
You said in a previous post that you live in Metrowest. I wouldn't consider Metrowest a "very upscale area", and that would also explain the crime that you're referring to. MetroWest is right next to Pine Hills, one of the worst areas.

I'm curious, where in Colorado did you move from? What was the population size?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Why Ft Myers? Is there a school there?

Most cities in FL are urban sprawl types... hard to get around.

The non 4 year college towns are not "exciting" usually for 20 year old's.. this is God's waiting room you know!
HAHA.... well I work in a retirement home so I'm really comfortable with the fact of living around the elderly. There are 3 schools that I have narrowed my search to, but I must live in Florida for a year before even applying. So I'm open to move really anywhere in the state for that year. (that I can afford of course)

Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Orlando is a "big small town", certainly we have all the big city problems, crime, inept government, traffic, but not such a bad place. UCF is really large and seems to do a good job. U of F is in a much smaller city and after you graduate you most likely will have to move to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando