U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 AM
 
812 posts, read 1,352,284 times
Reputation: 434

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyygal View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, they are telling me I shouldn't go alone because I'm a girl and getting older,
"they" are morons. Do something because it's what YOU believe in. I had a friend move here when she was in her 40's and did fine. I just moved back and I'm in my 40's. This place isn't for everyone; but so long as you recognize what makes Orlando what it is and are fine with it, you will be great. Live as far from the mouse house as you can and life will be as good as living in this country can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Pgh area
81 posts, read 129,210 times
Reputation: 40
thanks, everyone. a lot of good info, but what is the mouse house? I do remember the roach problem, I guess it goes with the territory tho. Need to stay on top of it I guess. I know that the fire ants are only outside, so the one lady I don't understand how u see them while sitting on the couch.??. LMFAO....It's good to know that most people have a positive outlook for me, it gives me a better outlook for the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM
 
4,155 posts, read 7,631,789 times
Reputation: 2339
Mouse House = Disney World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 AM
 
3,460 posts, read 5,875,906 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Maybe you should move you sofa inside!

Actually fire ants do move indoors sometimes-especially during rainy times with flooding. They sort of move under your carpet. Fire ants are scavengers and will go where the food is so if someone drops crumbs on the couch and carpets they might get fire ants indoors. When the kids were little we got them in the family room. I have also had them find their way to the dirty clothes basket when the kids would throw cloths that they spilled food or sugary drinks on into them. The ants would ac
atually eat right through the fabric.

Funny story about fire ants...when my son was 15 and too young to drive to beach, I would take his surfing buddies and him everyday. One day we picked up one of the guys. By the time we got 2 blocks from his house he was doing a squirmy dance in the back seat. His baggies had been hanging on the clothesline before he put them on just before he got in the car. He hadn't noticed the baggies were full of fire ants. LOL We stopped and he wasn't even embarrassed to stand on a busy street wrapped in a towel while he picked ants out of the trunks he had quickly gotten out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
 
3,460 posts, read 5,875,906 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyygal View Post
thanks, everyone. a lot of good info, but what is the mouse house? I do remember the roach problem, I guess it goes with the territory tho. Need to stay on top of it I guess. I know that the fire ants are only outside, so the one lady I don't understand how u see them while sitting on the couch.??. LMFAO....It's good to know that most people have a positive outlook for me, it gives me a better outlook for the move.
Personally, I think the roach problem is overblown down here too. Until last year(been here 35 years almost) we never paid to have the house or yard sprayed for bugs. We bought a short sale that had a badly overgrown and neglected yard and have a contract now , but probably will only need it for a year.

See other post for a maybe explanation about the fire ants indoors. They can come indoors but not a problem in most cases.

I also know of some new houses built back in the 90s that were built in an area that had ants in the field the houses were built on. Soon after moving into their brand new home a friend laid her 6 month old on the floor on a blanket with his bottle. She left the room to go to the kitchen for a second and when she came back Shawn was covered in fire ants. They found out that all the houses in the subdivision had colonies living under the carpets.


BTW don't hesitate about moving here by yourself.....I did it at 27 and have been vry happy down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM
 
4,159 posts, read 4,204,257 times
Reputation: 2196
Don't under estimate not having a support network or good friends. If you are just not happy where you live now, Orlando is not such a bad place to live and work. Of course, you need to have a good, solid job and savings, but all in all, it is a nice city. There are a huge number of homes/condo's on the market and a wide variety of styles, price, locations. It would be best to rent for at least 6 months to really find a nice place to buy. There is nothing wrong with renting if you would want to do that vice buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Pgh area
81 posts, read 129,210 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Don't under estimate not having a support network or good friends. If you are just not happy where you live now, Orlando is not such a bad place to live and work. Of course, you need to have a good, solid job and savings, but all in all, it is a nice city. There are a huge number of homes/condo's on the market and a wide variety of styles, price, locations. It would be best to rent for at least 6 months to really find a nice place to buy. There is nothing wrong with renting if you would want to do that vice buying.

my plan is to definitely rent first, maybe for a full year to make sure i want to stay. I do remember it being a nice city, with beautiful landscaping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
 
Location: FL
399 posts, read 875,335 times
Reputation: 229
My wife and I moved here in 2004 and did not know anyone and we love it here.
We have met friends within Baldwin Park and out.
It is was you make it; same as anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: FL
399 posts, read 875,335 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually fire ants do move indoors sometimes-especially during rainy times with flooding. They sort of move under your carpet. Fire ants are scavengers and will go where the food is so if someone drops crumbs on the couch and carpets they might get fire ants indoors. When the kids were little we got them in the family room. I have also had them find their way to the dirty clothes basket when the kids would throw cloths that they spilled food or sugary drinks on into them. The ants would ac
atually eat right through the fabric.

Funny story about fire ants...when my son was 15 and too young to drive to beach, I would take his surfing buddies and him everyday. One day we picked up one of the guys. By the time we got 2 blocks from his house he was doing a squirmy dance in the back seat. His baggies had been hanging on the clothesline before he put them on just before he got in the car. He hadn't noticed the baggies were full of fire ants. LOL We stopped and he wasn't even embarrassed to stand on a busy street wrapped in a towel while he picked ants out of the trunks he had quickly gotten out of.
I stand corrected. Never heard of it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM
 
4,159 posts, read 4,204,257 times
Reputation: 2196
Orlando, to me, is a "big, small town". I only worry during hurricane season and that is about it. Certainly, there is crime, but like all places in America, there is crime. The beaches are just 60 miles away and Key West/Keys are not that far down South. Florida is still a "two horse economy" - retired people and tourists, which hurts it a bit, but still not too crowded compared to CA and fairly nice weather most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top