Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 04:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,141 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am contemplating on moving to Sanford, Florida I need some advice I am a single mother of one child. My child is 3 years old. I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about, is East 3rd Street a pretty safe street with a toddler. Actually, East 3rd and Cypress! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,898,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung407 View Post
Hello,

I am contemplating on moving to Sanford, Florida I need some advice I am a single mother of one child. My child is 3 years old. I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about, is East 3rd Street a pretty safe street with a toddler. Actually, East 3rd and Cypress! Thanks so much.
That's by downtown Sanford and the historic part. As long as you are on the east side of French Ave and the west side of Mellonville, it's a decent area IMHO. It should be safe there. The cool thing about it is you can walk to the Riverwalk with your toddler. Also Sanford holds many events around there that you could attend.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 PM

56 posts, read 167,757 times
No!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM

118 posts, read 463,575 times
We were also thinking about moving to Sanford and went down there last week for the street party and Oktoberfest. Keep in mind that we live on the gulf and living inland is a lot different. 1st Street is nothing really special, it's just ok. There are shops and restaurants but are you going to spend everyday walking up and down 1st street?
We asked some of the locals about the area and was told do not go to this area, do not go to that area, there are certain areas in this part of town that is ok but be careful. We drove around a little bit and was not impressed. The supposedly luxury hotel that we stayed in - The Palms, just off of 1st street was the worst filthy, bug infested, greasy, flop house that you could imagine. We were going to check out the next day and waited for 3 hours for them to open but no one came - the doors were locked. I was told that the police dept and city officials were corrupted and judging from the 2 police officers that I talked to, I can believe it.
I wouldn't move to Sanford for anything and will never go back there again.
I am happy right where I am at.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
I lived in the area for eight VERY LONG years on the extreme west side of Sanford (next to Lake Mary) and can tell you Sanford is by far the most backward community in the Central Florida metro area. It has a great location on the lake and a cool little preserved downtown area but the city has never been able to get it together to make it what it should be. The demographic is a bit dicey and the crime rate is pretty high. If you're wanting a safe, inexpensive place to live as a single mom with a toddler, look at either nearby Debary or Orange City.

City of DeBary, FL
The City of Orange City - Home

Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 PM

I think it's about what expectations that you have on what you think. I don't think it's Paradise, but there are definately decent areas. I think downtown Sanford has a cute downtown with shops and restaurants. I don't think that you'd walk up and down there everyday, but who does that in any town they live. I would definately walk up and down the Riverwalk everyday. It overlooks the water and it is pretty. They've done a great job of the historic area by rehabbing older homes and they are contuing to do it. I suggest to drive around and see. IMHO, I like the activities they offer like Biketoberfest.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,471,711 times
All of Sanford isn't that bad....parts...yes.
I have friends that live both near I-4 and 46
and the sub-division that runs along the lake. They love it.
They are close to any kind of shopping you can think of so don't want for anything.

The area the OP is talking about is quite nice and safe.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,910,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I lived in the area for eight VERY LONG years on the extreme west side of Sanford (next to Lake Mary) and can tell you Sanford is by far the most backward community in the Central Florida metro area. It has a great location on the lake and a cool little preserved downtown area but the city has never been able to get it together to make it what it should be. The demographic is a bit dicey and the crime rate is pretty high. If you're wanting a safe, inexpensive place to live as a single mom with a toddler, look at either nearby Debary or Orange City.

City of DeBary, FL
The City of Orange City - Home
DeBary and Orange City feel too far out to me. At least Sanford has a mainly suburban feel to it. Seems like anytime you cross the SJR Bridge, you are getting too far north of Orlando to call it a suburb.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 PM

14 posts, read 32,736 times
After reading all the posts I have read, I am scared to ask this question, but I must. I have fallen in love with a 1915 historical home in Sanford. Am I crazy? It is not in the city, kinda east, and looks on Google as if there are very few neighbors. We are moving from Oklahoma. We are very nice, family oriented country folk (our nearest town is 18 miles away and only has pop. 283). We are not rich, but comfortable. We are attracted to this particular home because it appears to be in the rural area, but close enough to Disney, lol! We are really researching the schools and have a phone interview tomorrow. Our children will be in 4th, 6th and 10th grades. Any suggestions? This house is close to 4000 sq. ft. with a pool and spa for $1600. I am skeptical about the area, but excited at the same time. Any input is welcome!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieMommy View Post
After reading all the posts I have read, I am scared to ask this question, but I must. I have fallen in love with a 1915 historical home in Sanford. Am I crazy? It is not in the city, kinda east, and looks on Google as if there are very few neighbors. We are moving from Oklahoma. We are very nice, family oriented country folk (our nearest town is 18 miles away and only has pop. 283). We are not rich, but comfortable. We are attracted to this particular home because it appears to be in the rural area, but close enough to Disney, lol! We are really researching the schools and have a phone interview tomorrow. Our children will be in 4th, 6th and 10th grades. Any suggestions? This house is close to 4000 sq. ft. with a pool and spa for $1600. I am skeptical about the area, but excited at the same time. Any input is welcome!
Where is it located? That makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando