U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM

12 posts, read 35,496 times

Advertisements

I moved to Orlando in July 2010, and its a nasty place to live, but great vacation spot due to amusement parks and beaches. I pay $1695 for rent in a gated community in Metrowest which is suppose to be decent. Let me tell you its pretty ghetto. As a single lady I never feel safe due to apartment break-ins and cars getting broken into. I had loud rude neighbors. I have never experienced so much road rage or rudness. I came from the midwest where most everyone is laid back and friendly. Orlando does have great pizza. Other than that, the food isn't that wonderful. My favorite food is Mexican food, and they don't actually have Mexican food in Florida. They have Cuban food and claim to have Mexican food, but they really don't know what "green chili" is. How can you claim serve Mexican food without knowing what green chili is? That's my personal opinion. I miss Tokyo Joe's and was surprised they didn't have a Red Robin. They have some good BBQ places I guess. I am excited to move back to the midwest when my lease is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,716,970 times
^^^Orlando's big enough. No it's not Chicago or Detroit, that's true. But it's a pretty big city for FL.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Pros: World class attractions, always new development and attractions coming, clean, great neighborhoods in all directions of downtown, great shopping, decent dining scene, the area attracts great concerts, close to beaches on both coasts, large and convenient airport, lush landscaping throughout the city, beautiful lakes and parks, great nightlife with lounges, sports bars and dive bars aplenty, great institutions of higher education, young student population, a great grocery store chain Publix with almost a monopoly in the area, high level of diversity in most parts of town, nice areas of town are not generally too stuffy, most restaurants have a pretty casual dresscode due to the touristy vibe and sunshine, great great great weather (I am one who loves the summers. I only don't particularly enjoy the weather in January - February where the temperatures can dip.), etc.

Cons: Almost all freeways are toll, Very sprawled development, very poor mass transit/transportation options, Love Bug season and cockroaches, Lower than average school system and performance, High foreclosure rate and inventory of neglected homes, Tourist reliant economy and higher than usual proportion of low paying jobs, very aggressive drivers, some ittermittent and unexpected traffic on I-4 (I am talking like Sunday at noon or late at night, not just the expected rush hour times), some low class people in the city and in some of the rural areas (not overwhelming by any means and similar to any other major city), some high crime and rundown areas of town (like every other city under the sun), higher proportion of chain restaurants, more Walmarts than Targets, some areas lack a sense of community, in some of these areas there are rude or antisocial neighbors, the arts scene is developing but less developed than other US cities, etc.

I hope this is enough examples to illustrate life in Orlando for the most part. I love it here but I feel unbiased and that I can definitely see the negatives along with the positives. I feel confident that Orlando is poised to do better than many other cities with the rebound in the economy, especially for Florida.

Good, unbiased post. I think you nailed it.

The one thing I cant stand about Orlando are the drivers.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Hey Common Sense you need to move back to Orlando.
Orlando a "big" city? Not really compared to Chicago or Detroit.
Personally I have witnessed no crime or road rage in the 7 years we have been here. Knock on wood.
Some unfriendly people but better thats everywhere.
We do consider other places like TX or Northern MI but then realize we have it all here.

You think so?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM

258 posts, read 713,826 times
Pros: Great weather, year-round outdoor activities (waterskiing, wakeboarding, golf, biking), No state income tax, low cost of living, great art culture and community, great downtown, lots of art/music/movie festivals, centrally located for travel Ė makes it easy to get to Tampa, Miami, even Atlanta is drivable, in general its very happening with lots of things to see and do and places to go. An hour drive to each coast if you want to go to the beach for a day. For me itís the perfect size city, not too big, not too small.

Cons: horrible housing market, bad schools, spotty neighborhoods (know where youíre moving first!), toll roads, bad public transportation, summer is HOT, and tourists.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:19 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,227,770 times
15 years in Orlando:

Pros: Umpteen golf courses, great weather Oct-Apr, proximity to both coasts, Orlando Magic, RDV, Winter Park, West Orange Trail, airport, road conditions for the most part

Cons: Lack of community feel, gold diggers, over-extended arrogant people (check them out on Orange County Comptroller - Orange County Florida), traffic/rude drivers/I4, illegal immigrants, constant bugs on cars, chain restaurants, relatively high crime rate, sexual predator frequency, property values, summer heat & humidity, cinch bugs/fire ants/other insects, power outages

Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 59,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyisitsodifficult View Post
I moved to Orlando in July 2010, and its a nasty place to live, but great vacation spot due to amusement parks and beaches. I pay $1695 for rent in a gated community in Metrowest which is suppose to be decent. Let me tell you its pretty ghetto. As a single lady I never feel safe due to apartment break-ins and cars getting broken into. I had loud rude neighbors. I have never experienced so much road rage or rudness. I came from the midwest where most everyone is laid back and friendly. Orlando does have great pizza. Other than that, the food isn't that wonderful. My favorite food is Mexican food, and they don't actually have Mexican food in Florida. They have Cuban food and claim to have Mexican food, but they really don't know what "green chili" is. How can you claim serve Mexican food without knowing what green chili is? That's my personal opinion. I miss Tokyo Joe's and was surprised they didn't have a Red Robin. They have some good BBQ places I guess. I am excited to move back to the midwest when my lease is up.
1. Who said Metro West is decent?
2. Where are you eating Mexican?

You may want to get out more and learn about the community before making harsh judgements.

Orlando is certainly not perfect but there is a lot to love about it. Sometimes you just have to get off your rear and find it!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM

790 posts, read 1,431,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Practice View Post
Pros: Great weather, year-round outdoor activities (waterskiing, wakeboarding, golf, biking), No state income tax, low cost of living, great art culture and community, great downtown, lots of art/music/movie festivals, centrally located for travel Ė makes it easy to get to Tampa, Miami, even Atlanta is drivable, in general its very happening with lots of things to see and do and places to go. An hour drive to each coast if you want to go to the beach for a day. For me itís the perfect size city, not too big, not too small.

Cons: horrible housing market, bad schools, spotty neighborhoods (know where youíre moving first!), toll roads, bad public transportation, summer is HOT, and tourists.
What gulf coast beach is one hour away? I drove to Clearwater Beach on the gulf going 75mph and it took me three hours. As far as I know Clearwater is the closest beach on the gulf.

Pros: relatively affordable city, attractive downtown, young demographics overall, well paved roads, very good library system, winter weather

Cons: takes forever to get anywhere (SO SPREAD OUT), hot as hell from mid April-late Sept., dangerously rude+ stupid drivers, no sense of community, more likely to see a foreign flag flying than the USA flag.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

2,144 posts, read 4,231,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
What gulf coast beach is one hour away? I drove to Clearwater Beach on the gulf going 75mph and it took me three hours. As far as I know Clearwater is the closest beach on the gulf.

Pros: relatively affordable city, attractive downtown, young demographics overall, well paved roads, very good library system, winter weather

Cons: takes forever to get anywhere (SO SPREAD OUT), hot as hell from mid April-late Sept., dangerously rude+ stupid drivers, no sense of community, more likely to see a foreign flag flying than the USA flag.
1. Clearwater Beach is a 2 hour drive at the most. We go there every couple months in the summer and it has never taken more than that going under 80 mph.
2. It is not "hot as hell" in April...last April was beautiful. May starts to feel uncomfortable, but I don't feel hot as hell until June.
3. It takes no longer to cross a given distance in Orlando than any other large city in America. Where is the traffic or drive time is any better for a city of this size? Everywhere is messed up these days. I spent time in several big cities this fall and it is the same story everywhere. Unless you live in a dense, urban downtown you are going to spend a lot of time in a car.

I agree about the drivers here, and I would add that there are an abundance of homeless here for the city size. I also hear more "crazy" stories here than in other places. Crime is not as bad as some make it out, but the crazy people quotient is high here.

Last edited by Pete C; 03-16-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
I'm from st. louis too and have been in orlando for about four years. Each and everyday I love it- no joke. The weather, the palms, the flowers makes such a difference to me throughout the year. I'm from Kirkwood and have found Winter Park to be just like Kirkwood, with a tropical twist. Super cute, loads of pretty lakes, fun shopping and restaurants. And the people that I've met (around Winter Park and adjacent Baldwin Park) have been super friendly. Coming from St. Louis I was wondering how that would be. It's very diverse, which I also appreciate. Anyway, those are my two cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or