Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:47 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Orlando is a "big small town", with all the problems that most cities have in America. I think UCF is the big plus for Orlando but the condition of the roads is a big negative. There is a huge number of homes/condo's on the market with a large variety, location, price, size, age, etc... I think the only thing that really bugs me is the non-stop funding drives by the local NPR station. It is like listening to a teacher drag her nails across a chalk board.
What's wrong with the condition of the roads? I haven't seen a pothole yet in 2+ years in Orlando. In Atlanta you would see a new pothole every month. At night you could easily ram into one, possibly denting your rim, throwing off your alignment, or damaging your suspension. The highways in Orlando and the rest of Florida are excellent compared to most. Only a few city streets like Colonial are in bad shape. I-4 is only bad near downtown. At least that is what I have seen...I haven't spent a lot of time in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Every city (and I use that word loosely regarding Orlando which feels more like a big town) has it's pros and cons. And all those pros and cons mean different things to different people depending on where their own priorities are.

Orlando isn't my home, but it IS where I happen to have a good job, great affordable housing / living cost and annual theme park tickets. Doesn't make it paradise....but it is far from a crazy crappy crime-ridden place to live. It has a lot of great qualities and really nice people...but I'll admit there are many of them who do drive like maniacs and can't speak a spot of English.

It isn't the place for everyone, but I personally prefer it over a long list of other cities around America. And if a whole lot of people didn't agree with me, there wouldn't be so many people around the whole world migrating here every single day.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:48 PM

13 posts, read 77,252 times
yay HOA's are going down! i hate HOA's i own a pit bull mix...dont need some jackass telling me i cant keep MY DOG because its "vicious"...lmao vicious my *ss

Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 AM

129 posts, read 339,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlownBaby19 View Post
yay HOA's are going down! i hate HOA's i own a pit bull mix...dont need some jackass telling me i cant keep MY DOG because its "vicious"...lmao vicious my *ss
People who don't understand why Pit Bulls are a problem make me sad. HINT: It has little to do with your particular dog's disposition.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4powells View Post
People who don't understand why Pit Bulls are a problem make me sad. HINT: It has little to do with your particular dog's disposition.
she has no disposition, none of my pit bulls have had them, i just knew how to PROPERLY own one and train them to be good dogs...maybe 1% of the population can do that and succeed.
i hate the over population of pit bulls and i hate the easily influenced mindless people that suck on the media's pacifier and cant think for their selves to save their life. cuz 9 time out of ten this is how the scale goes

people who have experience: WIN
People who fallow the media or believe what they're told: FAIL!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM

and dont get me started on how worthless yorkies are...well not totally worthless they make great speed bumps and cheeseburger meat

Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Pros: World class attractions, always new development and attractions coming, clean, great neighborhoods in all directions of downtown, great shopping, decent dining scene, the area attracts great concerts, close to beaches on both coasts, large and convenient airport, lush landscaping throughout the city, beautiful lakes and parks, great nightlife with lounges, sports bars and dive bars aplenty, great institutions of higher education, young student population, a great grocery store chain Publix with almost a monopoly in the area, high level of diversity in most parts of town, nice areas of town are not generally too stuffy, most restaurants have a pretty casual dresscode due to the touristy vibe and sunshine, great great great weather (I am one who loves the summers. I only don't particularly enjoy the weather in January - February where the temperatures can dip.), etc.

Cons: Almost all freeways are toll, Very sprawled development, very poor mass transit/transportation options, Love Bug season and cockroaches, Lower than average school system and performance, High foreclosure rate and inventory of neglected homes, Tourist reliant economy and higher than usual proportion of low paying jobs, very aggressive drivers, some ittermittent and unexpected traffic on I-4 (I am talking like Sunday at noon or late at night, not just the expected rush hour times), some low class people in the city and in some of the rural areas (not overwhelming by any means and similar to any other major city), some high crime and rundown areas of town (like every other city under the sun), higher proportion of chain restaurants, more Walmarts than Targets, some areas lack a sense of community, in some of these areas there are rude or antisocial neighbors, the arts scene is developing but less developed than other US cities, etc.

I hope this is enough examples to illustrate life in Orlando for the most part. I love it here but I feel unbiased and that I can definitely see the negatives along with the positives. I feel confident that Orlando is poised to do better than many other cities with the rebound in the economy, especially for Florida.
whats with the worrying about class? who cares human beings are human beings, who gives a damn who or what they are? i hang out with everybody no matter "class", color, religion, height, weight, it DOES NOT matter. in fact im not a privileged person either, im young and making a living and about to go to school, worrying about who has "class" doesnt even pertain to my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando