U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM

13 posts, read 72,645 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving there what are the pros and cons about living in Orlando be brutally honest if you have to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,698,722 times
pros: things to do, access to beaches, decent jobs if you're in the right field, it's gotta nice downtown, awesome winter weather.

cons: traffic, crime, road rage, hot (hot!) summers, over-development, tolls, a lot of unfriendly people (in MY opinion).

Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,615,434 times
Just read all the prior post and assume all the extreme posts are people with an agenda. Eliminate those posts and you should have your answer.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,949,170 times
No state taxes, no city taxes. you can take other roads than the toll roads. MY monthly and I expect I travel more than most in here is about $95 in tolls mostly 408 and 417.

It rains everyday in the summer so I don't think it is too hot. Just as it closes in on 100 it pours and drops to 80... but more humid. which doesn't bother me. We have AC in cars and homes so who cares unless you work outside? This isn't the place to buy a black car and it is the least popular color here.

We have many concerts, plays, and easy day trips... St Augustine, Sarasota, Sanibel, and so forth. It is a golfers paradise. homes are cheap again and they often have pools.

We have so much to be thankful here. While I see some complain... I don't see them leaving either. In 10 years I have witnessed one crime first hand... a road rage, where a motorcyclist stabbed a car tire on Goldenrod... Otherwise, I have seen nothing first hand so, the "rampant" crime is selective. . I also travel in every part of this city. I never limit the clients I work with, from the poorest areas to the wealthiest. While Winter Park and Windermere / Isleworth, Dr. phillips are my favorites, I go where people need it isn't about me.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,698,722 times
I'll also add to my previous post that things like unfriendly people, road rage, and crime are things that just come with the territory of living in a big city.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,257,940 times
Pros
Weather
Newer
A Lot OF Attractions
Clean

Cons
No Sports Teams Except 1
No Beaches
Unfriendly People
Lack Of Public Transit Options
Narrow Roads
Spread out to the XTREME
Small City Minded Government and Commission Board

Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 PM

13 posts, read 72,645 times
well the bad parts dont seem too bad. the beach isnt that far away so its all good. tolls suck but over all Orlando seems ok

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,257,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlownBaby19 View Post
well the bad parts dont seem too bad. the beach isnt that far away so its all good. tolls suck but over all Orlando seems ok
It's "Ok" thats all. And No they are not that bad if your not into drugs, and or randomly pissing people here off. As long as you are not involved in the bad things in Orlando, it isn't bad. Only thing about the bad parts is that they can change. They can be good one day or just have something horrible happen 3 days straight then back to good. Thats why it's more the individual. If the person has a good heart, doings, and good intentions then Orlando is fine. You know Safety wise

Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,231,944 times
Pros: World class attractions, always new development and attractions coming, clean, great neighborhoods in all directions of downtown, great shopping, decent dining scene, the area attracts great concerts, close to beaches on both coasts, large and convenient airport, lush landscaping throughout the city, beautiful lakes and parks, great nightlife with lounges, sports bars and dive bars aplenty, great institutions of higher education, young student population, a great grocery store chain Publix with almost a monopoly in the area, high level of diversity in most parts of town, nice areas of town are not generally too stuffy, most restaurants have a pretty casual dresscode due to the touristy vibe and sunshine, great great great weather (I am one who loves the summers. I only don't particularly enjoy the weather in January - February where the temperatures can dip.), etc.

Cons: Almost all freeways are toll, Very sprawled development, very poor mass transit/transportation options, Love Bug season and cockroaches, Lower than average school system and performance, High foreclosure rate and inventory of neglected homes, Tourist reliant economy and higher than usual proportion of low paying jobs, very aggressive drivers, some ittermittent and unexpected traffic on I-4 (I am talking like Sunday at noon or late at night, not just the expected rush hour times), some low class people in the city and in some of the rural areas (not overwhelming by any means and similar to any other major city), some high crime and rundown areas of town (like every other city under the sun), higher proportion of chain restaurants, more Walmarts than Targets, some areas lack a sense of community, in some of these areas there are rude or antisocial neighbors, the arts scene is developing but less developed than other US cities, etc.

I hope this is enough examples to illustrate life in Orlando for the most part. I love it here but I feel unbiased and that I can definitely see the negatives along with the positives. I feel confident that Orlando is poised to do better than many other cities with the rebound in the economy, especially for Florida.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM

399 posts, read 873,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'll also add to my previous post that things like unfriendly people, road rage, and crime are things that just come with the territory of living in a big city.
Hey Common Sense you need to move back to Orlando.
Orlando a "big" city? Not really compared to Chicago or Detroit.
Personally I have witnessed no crime or road rage in the 7 years we have been here. Knock on wood.
Some unfriendly people but better thats everywhere.
We do consider other places like TX or Northern MI but then realize we have it all here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or