U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,612,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
If it's as important as you say, people who participate in it should be more than willing to pay for it.
I'm sure they will but it's sad day that it's come to this. But I guess that's what a smaller govt does, it provides the basic necessities or bare minimum for it's constituents. Well I'm a taxpayer too and I don't mind my taxmoney improving my quality of life as opposed to lining the pockets of corporations. But I digress, in the end the will of the people will shine through. Whether that ends up being my preference or anyone else remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM

953 posts, read 1,250,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I'm sure they will but it's sad day that it's come to this. But I guess that's what a smaller govt does, it provides the basic necessities or bare minimum for it's constituents. Well I'm a taxpayer too and I don't mind my taxmoney improving my quality of life as opposed to lining the pockets of corporations. But I digress, in the end the will of the people will shine through. Whether that ends up being my preference or anyone else remains to be seen.
Well said.

I too would prefer that my tax money improve my quality of life as opposed to lining the pockets of corporations. However, even better than this would be if it wasn't taken from me at all unless absolutely necessary and then I'll spend it improving my own quality of life as I see fit.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:41 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,157,684 times
Interesting that Lake County has not mentioned one thing about the looming budget crisis. The HR department told me that 388 teachers are being paid by stimulus money and "it's quite possible we will have fewer teachers in the classroom next year."

Ok, so are we ok with sending our education property tax dollars right back to Tallahassee in the form of fines for failing to meet class size reduction?

I think it was also Duval County (Jacksonville) that mentioned ignoring the class size amendment and just paying the fines because it would be cheaper. (probably true) So that district is talking about going to a 4 day school week, cutting athletics, and ignoring the class size amendment. What is the plan in other districts?

The revised budget (preliminary) calls for a 7.7% cut to per pupil funding. (vs Scotts 10%) Not much better. FL's per-pupil spending is at the bottom nationally, and our teacher pay is now 5th lowest (below Mississippi). With a 7.7% cut, districts will have to put everything on the table and you will still see layoffs of classroom teachers and failure to meet the caps in some classrooms.

Finally, the Merit Pay bill that is a slam-dunk for this week calls for an end to the policy of last hired, first fired. It might be effective upon signature by the Governor, which would mean this week! (he is expected to sign the Merit Pay bill this weekl; I can't tell if that portion is effective upon signing or July 1st, but I think the former). So districts would be prohibited from laying off based on seniority in any form! The bill says that performance is the only criteria (once the district determines the area to be cut, then they go down the list and fire the lowest performing teachers first). This is a BIG deal and I'm surprised we aren't hearing about it. We all know that just because the law has changed doesn't mean districts are going to follow it.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
I'm not a fan of this guy at all! I don't agree with alot of things he has been doing. I think football is important. It's a positive thing for the kids. I don't agree on this teaher law that he just passed either. Nor do I agree with him shooting down the funding for the Sunrail. What's the matter with this man? Does he have any common sense???

Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,939,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm not a fan of this guy at all! I don't agree with alot of things he has been doing. I think football is important. It's a positive thing for the kids.
So are the arts and a number of other sports, and they've already been cut. Football is a want, not a need, and those that WANT it should PAY for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or