U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM

6 posts, read 10,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyisitsodifficult View Post
Good luck with that. We searched for a house to rent when we moved from Colorado to Orlando. I spent weeks calling and trying to set up appointments to look at houses for rent. A few turned into scams so be careful and do research on rental scams. We ended up having to rent a townhome in Metrowest at Gates of Harbortown about 5 miles from Windermere, and we were miserable. Orlando seems like an ideal place to live, but it isn't unless your coming from a bigger city with ruder people. Fact is that Orlando comes in as the 9th rudest city in the US. From my experience it is! Stay away from Metrowest and try to live in Dr. Phillips or Windermere. Really check out the schools because the middle school in Windermere called "Chain of Lakes" is a rough school with a lot of bullying. They bus in kids from much poorer areas so they had police that had to patrol the halls due to fighting. We took our son out of there and had to homeschool him due to those issues. Dr. Phillips and Celebration are very nice if you can afford it.
Thanks for the information about the rental scams. I will for sure be on the alert for this.

As for rude people LMAO both my husband and I were born in raised in one of the roughest places in NYC where people get shot everyday and stepping over a body was common. So if Orlando's idea of rude and ghetto is the every here and there suburban snickering, rolling eyes,nose in the air and crime every once in awhile we are ok in that department.

I will for sure look into the schools because that is the most important thing for us. Education for our children. I did some research online and I did find that Lake Mary had A schools so we are going to look more into that. If anyone has their children in Lake Mary school district please let me know how you like it

Bullying,fighting ect to me is just nonsense. In every school there is always going to be fighting and bullying. Our children would never put up with that stuff and since we are both our own bosses it allows us to be 100 percent involved with our children's lives.

If your not involved in your kid's school,checking their social networks,watching who they hang out with then yes they will either become bullies or be bullied and you won't know about it.

Thanks for the advice again I am very excited to get there and drive around. I never lived in the suburbs with tress in peace and quiet with birds chirping. I am looking forward to the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 AM

135 posts, read 283,949 times
It's all relative on the rudeness. We're in the DC/Baltimore area which also ranks above Orlando in the rude scale. I'm always amazed when visiting how nice the people are. My sister lives in Tallahassee and hates Orlando because she says the people are rude.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 141,372 times
Check out East Orlando...specifically, the Tivoli Woods developments - Oak Crest, Bella Vista and Sanctuary. All are about 5-6 years old - have a new recreation center built within the last year (I think they're calling it the Curry Ford Rec Center). For what you're paying in rent in NJ, you could purchase a home in one of these subdivisions. They don't get much advertisement because they're not huge (approx 300 homes per development), but have a great mix of ages - LOTS of families with school age children. Not sure what's for rent in these subdivisions, but housing prices overall are cheap! Not all the homes have private pools, but many do - and each development has a community pool (except Sanctuary), tennis courts, basketball courts. Homes range from 1500 - 4000 sq ft (approx).

This area puts you within 5 minutes of 3 major arteries in central FL....
The 417 which goes north/south and will take you from Sanford to the attractions (Disney, Universal, etc...);
The 408 which runs east/west, taking you to great shopping in Waterford Lakes on the east end, to downtown Orlando, to hwy 50 on the west end (not sure if it goes as far as clermont);
The 528 which is another east/west road, taking you to OIA (about 15 minutes), the Orange County convention center/International drive/Florida Mall (25 minutes), and Cocoa Beach/cruise terminals (about 45 minutes).

And, we're close enough to some wooded areas that it's not uncommon to see deer, turkey, rabbits, etc....
Just a suggestion....

Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 AM

53 posts, read 94,244 times
I would check out Kissimmee and NOT worry about the schools here. Who ever stated that, is Duh Duh. While the downtown area of Kissimmee is not worth it, they forget to mention that if I drive from one end of Kissimmee to the other on 192, it would take me about 40 mins or more. How many schools are out there between that distance?

My kids attend St. Cloud High, and they are just fine. In fact, reminds me of the 80s. It is just like going home in time. We live in Kissimmee, right on the edge of it, and they blend us in with St. Cloud kids.

FACT IS...and I KNOW THIS....the reason that schools in Kissimmee are horrible, are not the TEACHERS, but the Board of Education. The teachers are handed a HUGE 3" binder full of stuff they have to teach about every 3 months, even if they don't want to, or they consider it NOT imperitive. Unfortuneatly, if they don't teach it, they are fired. Then all blame the teachers. So, you have a war in the school system. Some teachers will kiss *((* with the school board in not wanting to loose their jobs. Then others will take the pay cut and deal with issues. I've seen it, dealt with it...took my kids out of certain teacher's classes, rotated them and more. When you get into the system, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And, there are parents who are VERY good at donating their time in helping kids. I've joined Oasis program and so can you. You go through a criminal background check, and you get pointers on how to help kids with orientation classes that are for FREE!

If your family is in Kissimmee, they will be a great support. Hunter's creek is not all that either. More shopping plazas. No real sidewalks for kids to walk, etc.

But, you have to decide.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM

20,242 posts, read 28,388,855 times
I would highly recommend looking at Seminole County despite the hour commute to your sister's house. The quality of life factor will be well worth it as the schools are the best in the metro area, and most of the communities offer a lot of recreational opportunities for kids. Your price range could make it difficult but you will have options out there. In particular check out Oviedo and Lake Mary. The 417 Expressway offers easy access to Orlando and Kissimmee as previously pointed out.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM

26,589 posts, read 53,057,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinmover View Post
I would check out Kissimmee and NOT worry about the schools here. Who ever stated that, is Duh Duh. While the downtown area of Kissimmee is not worth it, they forget to mention that if I drive from one end of Kissimmee to the other on 192, it would take me about 40 mins or more. How many schools are out there between that distance?

My kids attend St. Cloud High, and they are just fine. In fact, reminds me of the 80s. It is just like going home in time. We live in Kissimmee, right on the edge of it, and they blend us in with St. Cloud kids.

FACT IS...and I KNOW THIS....the reason that schools in Kissimmee are horrible, are not the TEACHERS, but the Board of Education. The teachers are handed a HUGE 3" binder full of stuff they have to teach about every 3 months, even if they don't want to, or they consider it NOT imperitive. Unfortuneatly, if they don't teach it, they are fired. Then all blame the teachers. So, you have a war in the school system. Some teachers will kiss *((* with the school board in not wanting to loose their jobs. Then others will take the pay cut and deal with issues. I've seen it, dealt with it...took my kids out of certain teacher's classes, rotated them and more. When you get into the system, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And, there are parents who are VERY good at donating their time in helping kids. I've joined Oasis program and so can you. You go through a criminal background check, and you get pointers on how to help kids with orientation classes that are for FREE!

If your family is in Kissimmee, they will be a great support. Hunter's creek is not all that either. More shopping plazas. No real sidewalks for kids to walk, etc.

But, you have to decide.
So you're stating that schools in Kissimmee aren't bad, then you go on to say how bad they are. Hmmm...

The state school reports PROVE that the schools in Osceola County are terrible.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM

156 posts, read 358,128 times
Kissimmee has the worst schools in the area and in the state of Florida in whole. I always refer people to www.schooldigger.com. Just search Kissimmee Florida and you'll see that as a county, it's ranked 330th out of 380 cities in Florida, very low ratings. You'll also see that their schools have low star ratings overall.

I live the Hunters Creek area (zip 32837) and we have good schools. Hunters Creek Elementary & Middle have high ratings. There is tons to do around here including lots of parks. If you do check this zip, you want to live in the district of either 2 of those schools. There are other schools but they have lower ratings.

I've seen houses rent there for approx $1500 and some have a community pool. I'd try to get with a realtor or rental agency so you're covered from a possible foreclosure. My boys are 4 and 6 so if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

ETA: West Creek Elementary in the Hunters Creek area is also a good school

Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,206,477 times
I would rent in Baldwin Park. They have 3 pools (one heated) and a very nice, safe area. The location is great and you could take your time to find a nice home to buy if you want to go that route.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM

14 posts, read 14,797 times
You can try the Lake Nona area, it's not too far away from Kissimmee. I have a house in North Shore at Lake Hart, which is a lovely neighborhood, and I was told the schools are fine there, but haven't done much research.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM

37 posts, read 94,847 times
We are also moving to FL from NJ. We have done a lot of research and have found that Oviedo seems to have what we are looking for. The schools are A rated and with 4 kids, that is our #1 priority. Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando