U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,932 times

Advertisements

I am picking up a rental car at Orlando international airport and driving to Miami Beach. What is the best route, scenic, traffic wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,667,458 times
Not much scenery but the FL Turnpike is probably best bet for traffic and consistent speed. Decent rest areas. U.S. 27 is an alternate but it will be slow going for a lot of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefer View Post
I am picking up a rental car at Orlando international airport and driving to Miami Beach. What is the best route, scenic, traffic wise?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,158,422 times
If you want Ocean scenery...take the Beachline east over to US 1...crossing over the intercoastal at any given point to AIA...you'll have to hop back and forth to US 1 a couple of times but that's the Beach scenic route....this will take a lot of time as you have a bunch of small towns along the way.

Inland gets a bit more complicated but can be done...You pick up State Rd 15 off of the Beachline and take it south to RT 192 East..that merges with RT 441....follow RT 441 all the way south to the southern end of Lake Okeechobee where you pick up RT 27 South which takes you right into Miami.

Fastest? The Turnpike.

Me? I'd take the inland route but that's just me.

NOw aren't you glad you asked?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM

1,196 posts, read 3,138,092 times
Turnpike=boring but you get there in 3 1/2 hours,you will end up paying close to $20 in tolls,though

Turnpike to I-95 at the Ft.Pierce exit (#152 on the turnpike)=you'll save at least $10 in tolls,you will get more traffic as I-95 will obviously have more from West Palm south.Don't do this option if you will be getting to South Florida anytime during rush hour.If you take this route with no traffic it should still take you around 3 1/2 hours.

Beachline to A1A/US1 =this will be considered the most scenic but it probably could take you 6,7+ hours,I don't know as I've never taken it the whole way.Maybe you can take the turnpike to Ft.Pierce get on I-95 and then somewhere around Jupiter or Northern Palm Beach county get on A1A, so you'll get some scenery but at least get there a bit faster.

US 27= no tolls,will take you 4-5 hours as you go through some small towns in the middle of the state.Not an exciting drive but I take it occasionally to do something different.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM

258 posts, read 713,141 times
Unless you have a whole day to spend, I'd suggest you take the turnpike.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 AM

812 posts, read 1,348,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Turnpike=boring but you get there in 3 1/2 hours,you will end up paying close to $20 in tolls,though

Turnpike to I-95 at the Ft.Pierce exit (#152 on the turnpike)=you'll save at least $10 in tolls,you will get more traffic as I-95 will obviously have more from West Palm south.Don't do this option if you will be getting to South Florida anytime during rush hour.If you take this route with no traffic it should still take you around 3 1/2 hours.

Beachline to A1A/US1 =this will be considered the most scenic but it probably could take you 6,7+ hours,I don't know as I've never taken it the whole way.Maybe you can take the turnpike to Ft.Pierce get on I-95 and then somewhere around Jupiter or Northern Palm Beach county get on A1A, so you'll get some scenery but at least get there a bit faster.

US 27= no tolls,will take you 4-5 hours as you go through some small towns in the middle of the state.Not an exciting drive but I take it occasionally to do something different.
I agree with this 100% Turnpike to I-95 is the best combination of timely and scenic, though I would add ditching I-95 in Ft. Lauderdale for A1A is a great way to enjoy the view and appreciate what makes the south Florida beaches what they are. Take Sheridan out to the beach from I-95 and you will be doing well.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,932 times
thanks for all the great info, should be leaving Orlando airport by noon on Saturday, getting near Miami 3:30 4ish. Hows the traffic Saturday afternoons around Ft. Laud and A1A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or