U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 05:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,022,279 times

Advertisements

I work in Clermont, and it is a beautiful city with rolling hills, which makes it quite unique in mostly flat Florida! :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 989 times
Lived in wedgefield almost all my life. Grew up here, later bought a house here to raise my family. Never had any flooding issues even during major hurricanes, although some roads covered in water during (never evacuated). A new k-8 school is opening in the back of the neighborhood next August (2016-17 school year). For kids, nemours hospital is amazing and relatively close, they're building new hospital facilities near that too. Wedgefield is nice if you like being out from the crowd, it's a quiet golf community. The beeline (an exit behind wedgefield) is a way to still get to lots of places quickly though.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 AM

181 posts, read 161,615 times
What about these water problems the news is talking about?

Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM

19 posts, read 31,921 times
Remote and rural setting.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
What about these water problems the news is talking about?
We had our water tested because of that. The water is hard (calcium) but it didn't show anything else concerning. We still installed a filter to put our minds at ease.
The houses in the back of wedgefield are more on wells. We have a well but only use it for irrigation.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,060,240 times
I have always liked wedge field. Most who live there like it

Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM

85 posts, read 54,699 times
The high school Wedgefield is zoned for is East River High, not Timber Creek. The schools are average in that area. They are building a K-8 so only time will tell on it being better than the Elementary and Middle schools the community is currently zoned for. Wedgefield itself is remote, it's closer to Titusville in Brevard County than it is to the central Orlando area. A commute to Dr. Phillips would take you over an hour with traffic, and that's on toll roads (408 East-West Expressway).

There are two Children's Hospitals (three if you count the new one from Florida Hospital, but it's too new to have a reputation). Arnold Palmer is in downtown Orlando and would be quite the commute, you're better off going to Nemours near the airport, it's also far but with toll roads (417 Greenway) you'll have less traffic and parking will be much easier.

Wedgefield is a quiet golf community, rural by Orlando standards. But you do have Waterford Lakes, a much nicer community with shopping and restaurants about 15-30 minutes away depending on traffic. My biggest issue with Wedgefield is it's proximity to Bithlo, a run down community with drugs. On East Colonial/Highway 50, you literally have to drive through Bithlo to get to Wedgefield. On the south side of the community you can take Dallas Blvd to a toll road (528 Beachline Expressway) and that will also take you to other parts of Orlando without much traffic.

Overall, I worked in Wedgefield for a year and left my job because the commute was an hour each way, and my schedule was 7am-3pm, so I can't imagine how long it would have been had I worked 8-5. If you're looking for a quiet community with some land, I think Clermont or Oviedo MIGHT have something for you, but just like most cities, if you want peace and quiet, you have to be willing to commute and sit in traffic. My friend has a special needs son and alternates between Arnold Palmer and Nemours, she lives in Winter Garden and often complains about all the long trips she has to make every week, so it's something to keep in mind.

My sister-in-law works in Dr. Phillips and she and my brother bought a house in Hunter's Creek, it's the suburbs so yards will be tiny, but it is a great community to raise a family. It's also about 20 minutes from Nemours. I agree that if you can afford Dr. Phillips (it's an affluent community), it's a fantastic place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando