Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,163 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am asking for your help. We are planning to relocate to Orlando Florida, we live in Rego Park, New York and we just went there for a quick vacation and loved there. Things like the weather, the houses, the space, the lakes, the gated neighborhoods that gives the sense of security, the nearby of disney parks and other attractions for our children. My husband is a phlebotomist here and we think it could be not hard to find a job over there. We have friends in Andover Cay and Lake Nona neighborhoods. Our main concern is the education of our children. We have a bright 4 year old son with mild autistic tendencies more like Aspergers, here he is in an integrated prek 17 children 10 general ed 7 special ed, has speech ot and pt therapies and a seit at home 1 hour monday-thurday but this service will end in sept. If we move to Orlando he has to repeat Prek or kindergarten because his birthday is in december. We are tempted to relocate because the reasons I explained before and because of the price of the houses now. We can find a great house for half the price of our apt in NY. We do not want to miss the opportunity to have a better house, weather and environment for our children. I have been searching through the internet but it is too hard too many information different point of views. I am relying on you to have a better picture, I expect honest and heartfelt advises from good people who lives in Orlando or somebody who had the same situation. Thanks a lot for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Found this website that you may already be familiar with that list Asperger's Disorder Clinicians in the greater Orlando area, maybe a call to them could help point you to a group or local website that can help with your transition:

ASPERGER'S DISORDER HOMEPAGE

Hope this helps,

Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM

174 posts, read 455,207 times
I grew up in Brooklyn NY, but am here now via many other moves. My younger is highly functioning with ADHD, OCD and sensory integration issues. He was diagnosed after we moved here; had it been before we might not have come here. It is very nice here, not going to lie, but it has been a hard road getting services here for him. I had to fight with Early Interventions for services and when they finally gave them to us, it was only for 2 months before he turned 3. I then went to the school district and the lady during the testing said to me, he has sensory integration issues. So when I go in for the results I'm thinking they stated that, they're going to give him therapy. Nope. Just speech, nothing else. Fast forward to today, he's coming along great, but it has been a struggle. He's in Voluntary Pre-K down here and loves it, but he also has known these teachers since he's 3.

You need to check out http://www.ucpcfl.org/ down here, they offer school for kids to age 3. Although your son doesn't have CP, he would qualify for that school. Their student teacher ratio is 3 to 1, very nice. There is also the http://www.academyforautism.org/ down here which he would also qualify for. UCP is a 'public' school but AA is private. Not sure of their student teacher ratio but I believe it's also 3 to 1. However, with AA, you can try for the http://www.floridaschoolchoice.org/information/mckay/ after he's been in a public school 1 year here. So that could be 1 year in UCP and then have him trans over. Both places are great but you also don't want to live near either one, they are in bad neighborhoods.

The cut off date for school here is Sept 1st, so he would have to redo Pre-K, but it is free so that's a plus and that can be done at UCP.

In your husband's line of work, you want to move by Lake Nona due to the medical city they are building there, http://www.wftv.com/medicalcity/index.html. Lake Nona also has a great school district down here so you'd be set for that. However, I wouldn't move until you have a job set up. Getting work here is hard.

The weather is amazing, I have my back door open and it's beautiful right now. As for Disney, it's nice but annual passes are expensive, $1600 which includes park admission and parking, no food, no extras ie, Mickey's not so scary halloween or the Christmas party.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I like Baldwin Park, but you could look at Maitland too. I don't think home prices will go up much unless it is a very nice home in a great location.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 17,163 times
nikotroi it seems we are going to move to Orlando very soon, could you give me the name of your son voluntary prek I need to register my son to start school. Here it has been a REAL STRUGGLE for us so if your son is doing well it is GREAT nobody can tell you here he is going to do better. I think the weather and the environment take a great role. I live in Queens and we have had a hard time with the school system specially in the transition to kindergarten, we want for him inclusion and they just have 12-1 self contained or 25 children integrated classes nothing in between, the private schools are almost the same, and the special ed private are incredibly expensive unless you have a lawyer that could be from $ 3.000 to $ 15.000 or more depending of the case. It seems to us that in Orlando our son would be included and the ratio would be better. and he loves outdoors and physical activity, we pray everyday for God to give us the wisdom to make this a great move for our family. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM

174 posts, read 455,207 times
Our VPK was through Kindercare but I lucked out cause they have known my son for 2 1/2 years. We put him into daycare 2 months before his 3rd birthday and within a week he was going to the potty all by himself. I wasn't even ready to potty train but he was and did it on his own.

The teachers there know him very well and always gave him the attention he needed. We also knew that he would have his moments and would pull him aside and give him the time he needed to get himself together. We were very lucky with the teachers there. If you live in Maitland, it would be too far to drive for you just for VPK. You can look them up at the Kindercare website, zip 32837. They are on Orange Blossom Trail.

The Hunters Creek area of Orlando is nice and centralized to everything around here. That area would be convenient for the VPK Troi went to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando