U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 AM

11,499 posts, read 25,784,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I don't believe uninsured is required in FL. You have to have PIP. Collision if you have a lease or a car payment.

A friend of mine who has Liberty Mutual was told his rate was going up because people on his side of town get into a lot of accidents.
It's not required and I took it off. My insurance is still high IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM
JRR

3,207 posts, read 1,921,525 times
You might want to get a quote from Amica. I've had them for three years and my rates have been stable. Just for the heck of it I got quotes a couple of months ago from GEICO and Progressive, and both were higher. It is an established company that keeps winning JD Powers awards for highest customer satisfaction for national auto insurers.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wish the cops would do what they do in other states. No insurance, the car gets impounded.
That would be too logical for Florida.

It is amazing how it works it other states though. The driver has a choice get insurance, or the car stays at the impound lot at their expense.

The rates keep going up here because you have to pay for all the uninsured drivers in FL.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

429 posts, read 941,215 times
my insurance went up slightly, so did homeowners

Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 788 times
I just got my new policy from Allstate and they increased it over $210 dollars for a 6 month policy. There response was let me write a cheaper policy on Allstate Fire and Casualty Insurance Company without even explaining why the rates went up... We are their customers and they seem to avoid trying to explain anything related to what they are providing for you. The response only shows me that they want to keep me in the Allstate crimal insurance ring without explaining what the deal is. I'm on my last string with them and am shopping new insurance coverage.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I just don't get why I should have to pay for uninsured motorisits or because there have been alot of accidents in FL. I wasn't in an accident. The motorist who was in the accident ends up with an increase on their insurance. Why do I also get an increase?
Because unlike other states FL refuses to get the uninsured off the road.

If you drive in most states without car insurance and are stopped for a traffic violation your car is going to the impound lot.

You get it back after you purchase insurance and get a clearance from the DMV.

Since FL doesn't do that YOU have to pay for the uninsured.

There is no incentive to have car insurance here, because they never lose the car.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 PM

11,499 posts, read 25,784,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Because unlike other states FL refuses to get the uninsured off the road.

If you drive in most states without car insurance and are stopped for a traffic violation your car is going to the impound lot.

You get it back after you purchase insurance and get a clearance from the DMV.

Since FL doesn't do that YOU have to pay for the uninsured.

There is no incentive to have car insurance here, because they never lose the car.
I thought if you can't show proof of insurance, the car gets impounded. It happened to someone I used to work with.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I thought if you can't show proof of insurance, the car gets impounded. It happened to someone I used to work with.
Not in FL, they get a citation and keep driving.

They used to do it here years ago, but now they just get the ticket and drive off.

So there is no real incentive to have car insurance here.

Which is why FL comes in right behind New Mexico as having the most uninsured drivers in the country.

Pretty scary since this is the 4th most populated state and New Mexico comes in at 36th most populated state.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 12,714,071 times
The real incentive to have automobile insurance is to protect your assets in the event that you
are responsible for a crash.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 12,714,071 times
You are correct.

Fraud causes increases. Simple as that.

Look at sinkhole coverage increases. Why? More sinkholes? More
homes falling into the earth? Heck no. Its the fraudulent claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Auto insurance rates are going up in Florida because of the rampant fraud and/or exaggerated Personal Injury Protection (PIP) claims. You can partially thank TV lawyers and the phone number based referral services that you see on the billboards and urban radio for this. Regardless of who is at fault in an accident, YOUR insurance must pay the first $10,000 in medical and lost wages.

Florida is number 1 in the country for staged accidents. Miami, Tampa, and Orlando fight it out for the top city in the country.

I was in an accident a few months ago and have been reading up a lot about this stuff. Be careful on those roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or