U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 AM

16 posts, read 35,148 times

Advertisements

Hi
As someone who is hoping to relocate to Florida shortly and have previously owned a holiday home in Orlando i am aware that electricity costs can be very high and seem to be getting higher and higher.
If my potential move happens i would be interested to look into installing onto or buying a property with solar power panels. I currently know very little about them especially with regard to installation costs any running costs i.e maintanence and what benefits they provide namely reducing my potential electric bills.
Do they provide enough energy to power for example a 2500-3000 sqft home and pool, are there different types that are better than others.
Finally does the state / government provide any subsidy towards installation of the panels?
I look forward to hearing any information,views/opinions anyone can provide.
Kind regards
Colin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,952,062 times
There are some available plans depending on the area Orange county has a $1000 plan called, The Orange County Homeowners Energy Efficiency Program (OCHEEP!)

here is a link for several

DSIRE: Incentives/Policies by State: Florida : Incentives/Policies for Renewables & Efficiency

Wind power is generally cheaper if you look at Helix Wind or other companies.

Helix Wind

Solar Power for Homes

hope these links help.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,048 times
Default Solar Power

Using solar power is not only a solid investment for years to come it also saves the environment. Thus this investment is not doesn't only saves you money but you making this world a better place to live in for years to come. Investing in solar power is worth your money, don't overlook the potential. Citisolar [url="http://www.solarpowerqueensland.net.au/"]Solar Power Queensland[/url] aims to help you gain the best rebate for quality products.

Last edited by franklin41; 03-21-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,355 times
Solar panels are best used as a part of a larger strategy to cut down on energy costs.

First, I would look to save money in ways that is more cost-effective. Caulking, weather-stripping, and other changes like light bulbs/shower heads pay for themselves very quickly. It is usually a reasonable cost to use a BPI contractor to look at your house and recommend upgrades in insulation, air conditioning units, etc. If appliances are more than about a decade old, replacing them can be very cost effective as well (especially for the fridge).

I wouldn't look at solar panels until I did those things. The other changes are much more cost effective, and for most people, would probably cut energy consumption in half. If you want to do solar panels at this point, great! It won't be as cost effective as the other things probably, but it can still be worthwhile. Also, now you can gauge your electricity needs based on an efficient house. This could cut the expense of solar panels by 30% - 50%.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,355 times
Also, the best value in solar is using a solar water heater system. These can pay for themselves in a few years as compared to a decade or more for panels.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM

80 posts, read 201,025 times
bumping because Im curious about this option in Florida
Whats the cost for a 2500 sq foot home with a pool running on complete Solar power?? Is it even possible?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM

41 posts, read 64,867 times
Xtin:

You would need to call a solar contractor to get an accurate quote. Too many variables. I do agree the best bang for the buck is solar water heaters or solar pool heating.

-KC

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM

812 posts, read 1,349,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post
bumping because Im curious about this option in Florida
Whats the cost for a 2500 sq foot home with a pool running on complete Solar power?? Is it even possible?
I think (based on what LITTLE I KNOW from having watched a few shows including "who killed the electric car") the biggest problems you will run into on this one are the up front costs of enough solar panels to do this job, then even if you do have the $, where are you going to put the panels and have sunlight hitting your property (assuming the community will allow that many panels on the property)? I hope I am proven wrong.. I would love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando