U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM

189 posts, read 426,587 times

Advertisements

Immediately forwarding this info to DH!

Hope to come down this yr so maybe we'll check out some of these...

And 30 min is much more do-able.

Wish there was more public transport available!!!

Thanks a lot, annerk!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 27,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriweather View Post
Thanks, annek! Yes, I agree I'd like to be closer...but even King's Ridge is a good 45 min, isn't it? Del Webb Orlando in Davenport seems to be the closest.

As to the music scene, well, that is GREAT news. Unfortunately for me for the past 30-odd years, a certain Mr. Springsteen has had the habit of showing up to perform in clubs very nearby & fairly often. For my DH, moving from this particular music scene will be difficult.

hmmmm....maybe I can entice Bruce into moving if I send him the King's Ridge website ???
I believe Kings Ridge is closer than that. This link discusses the different routes. Mike gives some solid advice also:

Florida Retirement Forums - Kings Ridge in Clermont

Kings Ridge is 10 miles away but never tried that recommended route. We prefer the open road with no traffic lights until we reach WDW . The southbound entrance to the Florida Turnpike is only a few miles away from us.

Epcot has the real deal during their Flower Power Concert and Food and Wine Festival:

Epcot, Epcot Food and Wine Festival - wdwinfo.com (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/events/ - broken link)

http://www.disneyeveryday.com/epcots...ries-schedule/

We saw most of the 2011 Flower Power Concert Series Schedule. 69 year old Chubby Checker put on quite the show when we were there. So much for being too old to rock and roll!

We also like the real world that Ocala National Forest has to offer. Some of the fresh water springs are fabulous.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by scooter250; 07-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Prob with links

Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriweather View Post
Hi scooter250!
Would you share exact driving time from home to parking lot at closest WDW location to you?
Thanks!
40.9 miles from driveway to final parking at Epcot. Animal Kingdom may be closer. Total time at speed limit was 43 minutes. Most of drive is on Fla Turnpike\429 so it is a no-stop ride at 70/65 mph. Weather was great. We saw Off Kilter, a 5-person, kilt-wearing, bagpipe-playing Celtic rock group that performs traditional and original songs, a Moroccan band, and Little Queen.

The annual pass covers entrance and parking, no need to purchase overpriced drinks or food, and a very nice family-oriented outdoor venue. For people like my wife and I that are not into the bar scene (light drinking if at all and don't smoke) this is a nice way to enjoy live music. The walk is also enjoyable. Fireworks show was starting as we were leaving.

If you intend on working at WDW KR or surrounding area may be the better route for you. Again, good luck on your search!!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,939,688 times
Just wanted to mention that the arena's, Bob Carr, Plaza Theater, Hard Rock Live, and House of Blues are all non-smoking venues. You don't have to drink or buy food, and they have a full selection of soft drinks and bottled water plus stuff like Red Bull (I think the Plaza has Smart Water as well) and such if you want to drink something without alcohol. I don't smoke and seldom drink unless I'm home or having dinner someplace, and I've never had a problem.

By the way, they have a wide variety of artists at those venues. In the past few years I've seen everything from Tom Jones to Asia to Heart (the real deal, I don't do "cover" or "tribute" bands) to Trans-Siberian Orchestra to Sister Hazel to Bruce to Shinedown to Alice in Chains to KoRn to Trivium.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just wanted to mention that the arena's, Bob Carr, Plaza Theater, Hard Rock Live, and House of Blues are all non-smoking venues. You don't have to drink or buy food, and they have a full selection of soft drinks and bottled water plus stuff like Red Bull (I think the Plaza has Smart Water as well) and such if you want to drink something without alcohol. I don't smoke and seldom drink unless I'm home or having dinner someplace, and I've never had a problem.

By the way, they have a wide variety of artists at those venues. In the past few years I've seen everything from Tom Jones to Asia to Heart (the real deal, I don't do "cover" or "tribute" bands) to Trans-Siberian Orchestra to Sister Hazel to Bruce to Shinedown to Alice in Chains to KoRn to Trivium.
We have been to House of Blues and enjoyed it. Thanks for the other recommendations. We prefer the real deal but the tribute bands at Epcot are fun also. The tribute bands playing at Epcot MUST be approved by the real act or they cannot perform. Clearly there is something for everyone here in Central Florida.

Last edited by scooter250; 07-04-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 AM

There was a guy on the rail smoking at HoB the other night. He was given a warning, after they caught him the second time he got booted. They are serious about it there.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 AM

189 posts, read 426,587 times
Thanks!
It all sounds too perfect! I'd be there NOW if it were up to me.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter250 View Post
We have been to House of Blues and enjoyed it. Thanks for the other recommendations. We prefer the real deal but the tribute bands at Epcot are fun also. The tribute bands playing at Epcot MUST be approved by the real act or they cannot perform. Clearly there is something for everyone here in Central Florida.
Not sure who told you that story, but it's absolute fiction.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure who told you that story, but it's absolute fiction.
A lot of fiction out there
The bassist for Little Queen goes into detail about the process here:

Sounds like Summer concert series returning to Epcot June 12th | Walt Disney World For Grownups

I don't know about former years, but I know that we had to get clearance from Heart (the artist and their management) to perform the show at Epcot; that means I had to package videos and audio recordings, bios, promo materials, etc, and send them all out to Heart's management and wait for their review and approval. To my knowledge, each band in the lineup this year has to have the same permission/release to perform their respective show. If you've seen some mediocre tributes in the past, I'm guessing that WDW, due to their size and buying power, is able to at least deliver the best the nation has to offer as far as tributes go; granted, I'm a little biased with the group I work with, but I can promise at the least that WDW's requirements very stringent this year as far as quality and accuracy goes; I'm hoping we can either arrive early or hang out a day or two after our show week and catch one of the other bands - I'm expecting them to really be great!

Gives his email and website if anyone have questions.

Also:

Epcot 2011 Sounds Like Summer Concert Series | Disney World Blog Discussing Parks, Resorts, Discounts and Dining | Only WDWorld

https://tickets2you.com/groove-to-li...-disney-world/

Bon Jovi | Disney Detectives (http://www.disneydetectives.com/tag/bon-jovi/ - broken link)

Sounds Like Summer Concert Series 2011 | the Disney Driven Life

I would be very interested in any links that could prove these people are lying...............

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 AM

I stand corrected, this is new to this year. Still they are cover bands, why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or