U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,237 times

Advertisements

I received a call today form an unknown #, so apparently he has learned how to block his phone number. He said my number was randomly drawn for a grant because I graduated high school in the United states. He said I would receive a grant for whatever I wanted to spend money on and additional grant for going back to school if I choose to continue my education. He asked what year I graduated high school but then when I asked who he worked for he ignored me the first time, asked me to repeat the question the second time and then fumbled as he tried to say something about the "united states education grant" or something similar and repeated the line that my number was drawn. He then asked me to verify my email address, which he shockingly had. I asked him to tell me what high school I graduated from sense I was drawn for graduating from a united states high school and he said "I don't have that information you will have to give it to me". I then made a comment about how could you be for real and not know either what high school I graduated from or any information about my education. He proceeded to repeat the same line he started with and I hung up. I am highly educated...if he wants to claim he knows my education information he should have at least looked up information on me to find some of my education history online. The scary part is this crazy person knew my phone number, name and email address. I'm also registered on the national do not call list and made sure to reregister after this. Scary how people can get your information but are stupid enough to not try to find additional information. All they would have to do is find somebodies business page or facebook and suddenly they would have information to actually try to validate their claim. Does anybody know how to keep these people from finding our information? Phone number is one thing, but knowing my email address and name along with my phone number is getting a little scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynelle40 View Post
This is crazy they called me with their heavy middle eastern accent talking about when I get to the parking lot then call them and they will give me the information. They said it was no fee at first and I was randomly selected because I pay my bills and file my taxes on time, haven't filed for bankruptcy in the past six months, and the third thing is I never been committed for a crime or arrested. I said is this a scam she was like what is a scam? I said OK since English is not your first language and you don't understand then is it a hoax. Do you understand that? She said yes ma'am I do and no this is real. Imagine all the people they stay on the phone with till they get the money for the security deposit in the amount of 250.00. I think if the Government selects you to receive money it will not be at a Western Union. Scammmmmmmmm

i just got the same call it was halrious, i cused her ass out ten ways from sunday and all she kept saying was " ID number please". so i decided to have a little fun, had my wife call back and say she just got a call and was ready to give them the money, as soon as the lady said okay, i jumped on the phone like: Texas Police department who is this? all the sudden she couldnt speak english.......LMAO hey if yall wanna have fun heres the number. 202-470-6833 the name she is using is fiona lewis. enjoy

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,411 times
i just received a call from a women with a middle-east accent, she had my name, email, and phone number, she said that i was randomly selected for some grant money in the amount of $10,200. (this blow my mind) then she went on to say that i was selected because i graduated from high school, paid my bills on time, didnt have a crimmial record which was why i was selected. So i asked who she worked for? she replied " the U.S Department of grants" i was like WFT i never heard of them in my life. So i asked her name and she said angolina scott. she kept repeating the same lines over and over tring to get me to believe she was foreal (I am to educated for that). she said to receive the money all i had to do was pay $163 and in 30mins i would get the money. i laughed my ass off, saying to her that anything over 5,000 dollars has to be cleared by your bank first. So i started to cuss her ass out and all she kept saying was ID number please. here is the two numbers, BEWARE lol 202-470-6833 and 202-697-9205

Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
Hey I got that call. You've been awarded a grant from US grant department for $10,200. I was like this cant be true. Never heard government calling someone to just give them a grant and not applied for it. This person knew address but funny not exactly right. It's address electric company has but not mailing address. He asked for my account number or credit card number and money would be ready on card in less than 60 minutes. I said before i give you my info i want call back number so i can see if this is legitimate. He kept repeating need my info so he could get money to me. He finally gave me call back number. Had husband call it on his phone they would not answer i called they did. So funny these people. The numbers are 2026979306 and 2026979194 Beware they have middle eastern accents male and female

Last edited by KathrynR; 07-21-2013 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Add on

Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
oh yea they asked for ID number when i called them

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
I received a call from a lady with an accent, telling me she is with the us grants department and that I qualify for a grant. I simply told her, "ma'am, please give me your first and last name and spell them both. I am going to make sure this is legitimate." She said, "sure, but I need to get some information from you before we can proceed any further." I said, "No, ma'am, the next step is for you to give me your information. If you work for the government agency you claim to, surely your position is public record. I would like to investigate the true nature of this call before anything." She hung up. I haven't received a call since then.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
I just got the same call from someone with a heavy accent. Saying they were from the us grant department. When I asked the nature of thier call the hung up...this is like the third time they have called...and each time when I ask the same question they. Hung up.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 955 times
I also got a call from 202-559-7624 some women with a middle eastern accent telling me to go to a near by Walmart and call her back, take my ID and $300 along with me to receive a cash grant for $75.000 from the federal government for being a consistent tax payer. She said I was randomly selected with 15 others. But I must call her from Walmart with $300 that is 100% refundable after the transaction. I ask to speak to a manger or supervisor, she then stated: I have to finish this transaction with only her. I hung up in her face. "BE CAREFUL" I WAS HAPPY ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL NEW! LOL I could have been their next victim. But I asked questions and saw that this was a shady scam!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 935 times
i am a flaming IDIOT I FELL FOR THIS BS and now i am out a total of $480.... PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,672 times
I keep getting a call on my voice mail stating I HAVE recieved a grant from someone a foreign accent stating I am to recive a grant of $ 1000.00 a tax free grant from the U.S. GOVERMENT. She keeps saying why do you not pick up the phone this is tax free. Just to play alone my voice mail allows me to return the call . The number is 222 2245 no area code . Strange number also please forgive my spelling but you get the point. M.T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando