Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,822 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband , baby and I are moving to Orlando soon. I will be working at Florida Hospital. My income will be about $50,000 a year and we are hoping to let my husband be a stay at home dad for a little while until our baby is a little older. Should this be enough to live on?
We would love to rent a house in a less populated area with a yard that is no more than 30-40 minutes from Florida Hospital Orlando Campus. Does anyone have any suggestions for areas we should look in?

Thank you sooo much! We are very excited to be moving to the Orlando area!!

Last edited by rainbowbrite09; 03-21-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,238,996 times
We were in a similar situation when we lived in Orlando (1 parent working, baby at home), and I made about the same amount of money. Just to pay the $1000ish mortgage on our house, I had to get a 2nd job. And we didn't really go anywhere and we didn't have cable or anything.

I am sure it can be done, just be smart (not like me). Winter Park and College Park would be close to the hospital but it might be pricey.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM

793 posts, read 2,515,904 times
Longwood or Altamonte Springs, hope you like working at Florida Hospital, my sister in law is a VP there.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,809,207 times
You should be able to find places in Winter Park as well. I just found some homes for sale there under 200k so your income should be able to handle the equivalent rent or even mortgage if you wanted to buy. You may be surprised what you can get there.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM

I will check out those places. sp2007, I guess I will try to find a place a little under $1000. I really appreciate everyone's help! Thanks!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 AM

70 posts, read 148,983 times
My wife works at Florida Hospital (Downtown) and I stay at home. We wanted to be outside the city where the crime rate is lower. Get some zip codes and look at the crime rates. We are on the Eastside a little under 20 miles from the Hospital. I homeschooled my daughter for the first 2 years but our neighbors were telling us how good the elementary school is which is in our developement. So and we decided to send her and she is liking it so far. It has an A rating the past 6 years.

We are between Waterford Lakes and Oviedo in Cypress Lakes. It is 4 miles to the 408. My wife works nights so she can get to the Hospital in under a half hour.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks formerPA! I will check out that area. The info about the commute was super helpful because I will be working nights too!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,156,855 times
50k per year, take away 20 percent in taxes, that gives you about 3 grand a month plus a little to savings. I think if you rent a place for a while and get your feet wet, you will be ok on that budget. Orlando has a huge number of homes, areas to choose from so wait before buying. You might reconsider "living out" from your job. I think the commute here is a bit of a bear at times. Lots of wrecks on the expressway, plus with gas going up. (3.47 today), you could find yourself in a bind. Also, I was watching the news last night a people were really up in arms about water going up in some areas. I live in the city, Baldwin Park, which is a bit expensive, but with the recession there are some nice homes on the market there. I love the location and consider the extra cost for the home worth it. Orlando is a "big small town" so you will like it.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 24,693 times
Orlando is a great place. This past winter was just delightful with the temps very comfortable... Got a 3 Bedroom 2 Baths condo there near Holden Heights and Millenia Mall which we have considered renting out with granite and stainless kitchen, which we only use in Winter, and it is super close to the Mall which is beautiful, tons and tons of shopping, supermarket around the corner and 2 pharmacies.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the advice totsuka. I think we will rent first for sure. Thanks for everyone's help. It is scary moving to a new place with such a limited income!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando