Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

I'd also consider College Park, no need to get on an Interstate at all from there.

Lake Eola and Thornton Park might even be walkable depending on exactly where you are working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I think BP is a good choice too. Some areas of WP, depending on the age of the home, might fit your needs.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
If you HAVE to work downtown, and REALLY like the idea of living in Lake Mary, I would suggest taking a bicycle down 17/92. It would be about as fast, and you get exercise as well. Personally, I find jobs near where I live, but then again I'm in a field where that tends to be easier.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
There is another option of getting to downtown other than I-4. The 417 Toll south from Lake Mary to the 408 Toll west is further, but traffic moves at a much faster clip (65mph speed limit on the 417, traffic averages 70-75) with no congestion. If you really like Lake Mary it might be worth checking out.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Kyle is right that you could get to downtown using that alternate route, but you have to factor in the additional miles, fuel consumption, vehicle wear and tear, and so on. Truth be told, this thread highlights the importance of a North-South commuter rail that provides commuters in the suburbs along I-4 the option of a short drive to a station, and a quick, stress free ride into town. Perhaps, the job density would increase not only in downtown, but along the entire route of the system so that somebody could work in Altamonte Springs or Winter Park yet live in Deland.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Kyle is right that you could get to downtown using that alternate route, but you have to factor in the additional miles, fuel consumption, vehicle wear and tear, and so on. Truth be told, this thread highlights the importance of a North-South commuter rail that provides commuters in the suburbs along I-4 the option of a short drive to a station, and a quick, stress free ride into town. Perhaps, the job density would increase not only in downtown, but along the entire route of the system so that somebody could work in Altamonte Springs or Winter Park yet live in Deland.
100% agreed. Light rail or BRT especially (Bus rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) would alleviate a lot of congestion and improve quality of life significantly in Seminole County. BRT would also be a much quicker fix and way more economical.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Sunrail is meant to address this exact need.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Yeah Kyle good point, Lynx could start BRT immediately while SunRail is being built as a "primer" of sorts for rail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
100% agreed. Light rail or BRT especially (Bus rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) would alleviate a lot of congestion and improve quality of life significantly in Seminole County. BRT would also be a much quicker fix and way more economical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Sunrail is meant to address this exact need.
I know but sadly, SunRail is on death row while Governor Alienface tries to score political points with the folks out in the Villages, Eustis, and just about every other rural place that doesn't care what happens in urban areas. Oh sure, they're happy to subsidize road building and FDOT though gas tax and such, but god forbid we help the major cities alleviate traffic, reduce carbon emissions, and minimize the ecological impact of sprawl. I live in the southern most portion of Seminole County so I can handle the grind it out 20-30 minute ride into downtown, however my buddy who moved out to Deland drives 50 minutes without traffic and upwards of 1.5-2 hours during rush.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 AM

Lynx could NOT start BRT "immediately." It would take six months to get it planned, a year to get the funding from the FTA and state/local governments, six months to write a bid spec and get it published for the procurement of the buses, and 18 months to wait for delivery of the buses after an order was placed.

Using existing buses would require them to impact exiting routes.

I'm not saying BRT is bad, it's a less expensive option then light rail that can be flexed as ridership habits and population centers shift, but it's not something that happens overnight.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yeah Kyle good point, Lynx could start BRT immediately while SunRail is being built as a "primer" of sorts for rail.

I know but sadly, SunRail is on death row while Governor Alienface tries to score political points with the folks out in the Villages, Eustis, and just about every other rural place that doesn't care what happens in urban areas.
It's different buckets of funding. The problem with SunRail was that it was expensive and was only going to serve a very small population while affecting everyone's wallet.

Lynx and FDOT could offer the same level of service by implementing BRT at a mere fraction of the cost and a much, much lower environmental impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando