U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM

14 posts, read 16,235 times

Advertisements

After reading all the posts I have read, I am scared to ask this question, but I must. I have fallen in love with a 1915 historical home in Sanford. Am I crazy? It is not in the city, kinda east, and looks on Google as if there are very few neighbors. We are moving from Oklahoma. We are very nice, family oriented country folk (our nearest town is 18 miles away and only has pop. 283). We are not rich, but comfortable. We are attracted to this particular home because it appears to be in the rural area, but close enough to Disney, lol! We are really researching the schools and have a phone interview tomorrow. Our children will be in 4th, 6th and 10th grades. Any suggestions? This house is close to 4000 sq. ft. with a pool and spa for $1600. I am skeptical about the area, but excited at the same time. Any input is welcome!

We have always been a tourist in Florida. I have heard so many horror stories about actually living there... I hope and pray they are not true and we are finding our "happily ever after" by moving to Florida. Oklahoma really has little to offer other than our beloved Sooner Football. We are looking forward to being near the parks, ocean, gulf and making new friends. I am 34 and my husband is 43. Both sides of our parents and grandparents have passed... We are looking for an adventure for our family and plenty of places to explore without being overwhelmed by population. That is what attracts me most to the area we are looking to rent. I can't wait to hear from you!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM

57 posts, read 85,659 times
Not sure where in Sanford you're talking about, but I would advise you consult a good realtor (several on this board) with the specific address - they can give you the best advice. Parts of Sanford can be very nice - I have had friends who owned some of those historical places, but there are other parts that would be less desireable. And your address, of course, will determine the school zoning. My guess is your 10th grader would go to Seminole HS - not in a great section of town, but is a really good school.

Wish you the best in your move!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 PM

20 posts, read 37,852 times
Sorry I can't be of more help - but I too am moving from Oklahoma to Florida and I hope that we both find our new home to be better than here. You're right - there isn't much to offer. Good luck!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,591 times
I now live in Shawnee, OK and commute to Ada, and I lived in Florida for over 10 years after High School and Central Florida from 2001-2005. You may want to consider the Kissimmee / St Cloud area as it has some good rural pockets and is a better drive to the Disney area than most of Sanford. Also, research the school system and most of all Beware of scammers!!!!!

I personally would hate to move back to Central Florida due to

Traffic

Retirees - driving

Foreign tourist - Drivingnot familiar with driving in the U.S.

New Yorkers not familiar with driving b/c they took the subway their whole life (Orlando is a haven
for people from the Northeast, I never met any one from Orlando, but I met plenty of people from NYC / Philly, ect)

Lack of a community sense

Lack of Seasons

HEAT (the entire year is one long hot day)

Job Market (some places are great / many are cut throat)

All that being said, if you stick to rural living you'll avoid most of what I didn't like. I'm more of an urban/suburban person so from that perspective Central Florida wasn't the place for me.

Good Luck!!

PS Be ready for Gator Football

Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
Now that you've moved there what do you think about it? I'm wanting to make the same move and I'm looking for more info about how it's better or worse.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM

28 posts, read 29,252 times
I've lived in the Orlando area for almost 20 years. Things have changed considerably, especially in the past ten years or so. I would do some serious research before signing any lease or mortgage contract. A good idea when moving to an unknown city is to put belongings in storage and hole up in an extended stay hotel somewhere nearby for two weeks or so. That will give you an opportunity to fully investigate housing options before committing. Be aware: what one experiences on Disney/Universal property is not reflective of the entire metro area.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM

438 posts, read 465,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daville74 View Post
I now live in Shawnee, OK and commute to Ada, and I lived in Florida for over 10 years after High School and Central Florida from 2001-2005. You may want to consider the Kissimmee / St Cloud area as it has some good rural pockets and is a better drive to the Disney area than most of Sanford. Also, research the school system and most of all Beware of scammers!!!!!

Traffic

Retirees - driving

Foreign tourist - Drivingnot familiar with driving in the U.S.

New Yorkers not familiar with driving b/c they took the subway their whole life (Orlando is a haven
for people from the Northeast, I never met any one from Orlando, but I met plenty of people from NYC / Philly, ect)

Lack of a community sense

Lack of Seasons

HEAT (the entire year is one long hot day)

Job Market (some places are great / many are cut throat)
Since you hate central Florida so, let me critique some of your post:

1. Traffic - all major cities have traffic issues, not just Orlando. Central FL. doesn't have a monopoly on traffic.

2. Sure we have more retirees, but I've never noticed a significant problem with them on the road beyond the occasional nuisance driver.

3. Foreign tourist drivers - see above.

4. NYC drivers - see above. Wow, you really seem to have a problem with bad drivers. Maybe it's your pet peeve.

5. I see a "lack of seasons," i.e. little to no winter as a big plus, not a minus. I hate cold weather and love this sub-tropical climate. Sorry you don't.

6. Heat - like Kansas and New York don't have it?

7. The job market sux everywhere, not just here. It all depends how much in demand one's skillset is.

Like I said, every place has plusses and minuses. For all its faults and flaws, I love central Florida and never want to leave.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM

188 posts, read 64,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
Since you hate central Florida so, let me critique some of your post:

1. Traffic - all major cities have traffic issues, not just Orlando. Central FL. doesn't have a monopoly on traffic.

2. Sure we have more retirees, but I've never noticed a significant problem with them on the road beyond the occasional nuisance driver.

3. Foreign tourist drivers - see above.

4. NYC drivers - see above. Wow, you really seem to have a problem with bad drivers. Maybe it's your pet peeve.

5. I see a "lack of seasons," i.e. little to no winter as a big plus, not a minus. I hate cold weather and love this sub-tropical climate. Sorry you don't.

6. Heat - like Kansas and New York don't have it?

7. The job market sux everywhere, not just here. It all depends how much in demand one's skillset is.

Like I said, every place has plusses and minuses. For all its faults and flaws, I love central Florida and never want to leave.

preach it brotha , amen

Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 AM

12,516 posts, read 12,709,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daville74 View Post

Traffic Traffic in Central Florida is amateur hour compared to pretty much any other large metro area

Retirees - driving Central Florida has far less retirees than many of the coastal areas, so that's failed argument in my opinion.

Foreign tourist - Driving not familiar with driving in the U.S. If at all an issue it is confined to the tourist areas and not the whole metro area

for people from the Northeast, I never met any one from Orlando, but I met plenty of people from NYC / Philly, ect) Ummm, not so much. South Florida is a mecca for people from metro NY/NJ. Orlando lacks the urban amenities for most NYC metro folks so there really aren't that many here. You do realize NYC and NY State are two different areas, right?

Lack of a community sense Like anywhere it depends upon the neighborhood. Parts Of Orlando like the downtown neighborhoods (Thornton Park and College Park), Winter Park, Lake Mary and Maitland for example demonstrate community pride pretty consistently I think.

Lack of Seasons Textbook versions, yes. However leaves do change color and fall off here, the temperature gets below freezing and flowers bloom/trees pollinate like elsewhere. That is considered seasonal change last I heard.

HEAT (the entire year is one long hot day) Well, you're half right. The average high five months of the year is in the mid to upper 70s and another month is in the low 80s. So six months of summer, not twelve.

Job Market (some places are great / many are cut throat) This differs from most of the country how?
Granted it's primarily a low-paying service economy here with little full-time jobs, but that's not a big surprise to most.
+

Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM

454 posts, read 557,919 times
FWIW (because I'm always interested in how these things follow up), the OP hasn't posted in over a year and her most recent post indicated that she was moving to Oklahoma City. Looks like they never made it down to Sanford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando