Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 21,684 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Just stumbled across this forum and it looked like it had a lot of folks with useful info.

I'm considering moving to Clermont from NY and was wondering what folks thought about the area?

The lakes are very appealing, I Like the rolling hills. Seems to have quick access to Orlando if needed. I've seen some reports that crime is a bit higher then the rest of the area. But I'm not sure if that is due to the explosion in population in the area? It seems like the town itself is still struggling some to catch up with the recent growth.

How are the high schools? I've read posts about extreme over crowding?

I would be looking in the IT field for a new job. I have a feeling that most folks are commuting to Orlando for such positions?

Any areas to go 4wheeling etc?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
It is a bit father out, home prices have come down a lot out there. It depends on where you are going to work and how much of a drive you want in the morning.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM

looking at 30-40 minutes to most things on the west and north side of Orlando I'm assuming?

What about the town itself? I'm looking at older residential areas in the Clermont area. Not the housing complexes that have been build in the last 5-10 years.

I looked at a few last month that seemed to be in decent areas. Lot's of business growth in the area it looks like.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM

Bump for info

Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 PM

14 posts, read 38,284 times
We moved to Minneola (right on the Clermont line) a little over a year ago and like it here. It's much quieter than most other places and the hills and breezes are nice. It is becoming more developed but still is fairly uncrowded. My husband works in the Metrowest area of Orlando and it takes him between 30-35 minutes to commute. The lakes are fine but keep in mind they get so hot in the summer that there are advisories to stay out of them due to bacteria growth. And alligators! We are located, however, just over an hour to a gorgeous beach on the east coast and about 90 minutes to the west. Crime, at least in our neighborhood, is pretty much non-existent. We have 8 policemen who live here simply because it's so safe. From what I understand schools are good but VERY crowded. We have a preschooler and a baby so this is a big concern for us.

Good luck!!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 38,284 times
Oh, and the town of Clermont is very cute with a small downtown and a few restaurants and shops. It's also right on the lake which has a nice trail for walking and biking...

Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Most of the better I/T jobs seem to be either in the downtown core or up in Lake Mary/Longwood?Heathrow/etc.

I wouldn't move here without a job unless you have at least six months of living expenses plus security deposit and first months rent plus moving costs.

I/T is definitely one of those fields in this area that you really need to know someone or be working with a great headhunter to get into.

I live within the city limits of Clermont, and am very happy here. There are a few streets in the downtown Clermont area that are to be avoided, but it's overall a good place to live.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks for all the info. From what I've seen I like the area. I hadn't thought about the lake temps getting so high that bacteria growth would be a problem. I've heard good things about the Lake Mary area. I do need to consider school systems with our 15 year old.

I'd like to keep the commute to 45 minutes or less if able.

Did I mention is snowing right now? UGH....

Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre155 View Post
Thanks for all the info. From what I've seen I like the area. I hadn't thought about the lake temps getting so high that bacteria growth would be a problem. I've heard good things about the Lake Mary area. I do need to consider school systems with our 15 year old.

I'd like to keep the commute to 45 minutes or less if able.

Did I mention is snowing right now? UGH....
It's not a problem the lakes are fine I like clermont but because of your job I would look at lake marry

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,630 times
Any further thoughts on best areas to live in Clermont or Minneola? Looks like housing is very reasonable in the area and haven't seen a lot of conversation on this area in the forums...typical concerns, good schools, safe area, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando