U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM

30 posts, read 50,589 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been reading other threads trying to find out info on Poinciana and I just had a few specific questions for those familiar with the area.

I will give you a brief recap on why I'm looking...Single parent have 2 kids 4 and 7. I currently live in VA just outside of DC but want to move back to Florida this summer 1) affordable housing (looking to buy) 2) closer to family in Tampa and Ocala 3) Cold weather is not for us.
We have lived in Miami (Homestead) and I've lived near Ocala (too country). I liked Miami but the schools left something to be desired.

I have looked at Jacksonville areas, North Broward and even Tampa which is the least desirable for me, I just don't care for it there..but keeping my options opened. The only reason I am considering Poinciana is affordability. I am in the medical field (coding and billing), but again I am a single parent and I can not always count on child support which is why affordability is a big factor for me, I like to be comfortable not living paycheck to paycheck.

So I see there are different Villages, and from some comments Village 7 seems to be the place to be? Also I see the schools don't have the best ratings around, but I did see a Fine Arts Charter that looks interesting...and my one son has an IEP so if I don't feel public is working for him I would probablt switch to private.

The only other concern is that from looking at Google Maps it is about an hour into Orlando, which would make for a long commute unless I can find something in Kissimmee..also read something about a new Medical Center/Hospital which looks promising.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 13,638 times
To find out more about the Poinciana area of Kissimmee, Florida, you should consider checking out Poinciana Digital Village, which is a service of the community's homeowners' association and is available to the community at large...another reason why Poinciana is so great!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,939,688 times
The schools in Osceola County )Poinciana) area TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!! Some of the worst in the state.

DO NOT buy a home there.

There are other areas with better schools that are also affordable. Look in Oveido, or parts of Lake or Orange County. But run far and fast from Osceola County, especially with a kid who has an IEP!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks, actually since posting I received a recommendation on east Orlando and I am starting to look into that area...Avalon Park/Waterford neighborhoods.

The area looks nice and closer to Orlando. You don't get as much bang for your buck as far as housing size but I am willing to give that up for an area with higher rated schools. And it looks like that area also qualifies for the USDA home mortgage program which I am going to try and utilize.

I will be in the area in a few weeks to look around...getting excited

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 PM

16 posts, read 84,335 times
I looked in Waterford area too! If you have the extra money to live closer to the city then of course!! DO IT! However, do note that Orlando isn't the safest place after all.. Check orlandosentinel.com for those facts. That was part of the reason I decided to move out to Poinciana. Not only did I save a lot of money, but its safer.. Facts. Waterford area is really nice, a lot of empty retail space like the majority of Florida but eventually it will be occupied. If you were still considering Poinciana, I would encourage you to look in Village 7 and 8 or the surrounding areas in Haines City, Winter Haven.

Legoland is opening up in Fall 2011, expected to bring in a lot of familes etc in the area.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM

I will definitely take a drive down to Poinciana just to check out the area, my only concern is the schools. If the schools were better rated I would buy there in a second...I can deal with being a little far out if my kids have a good school to go to. My first grader is already starting to dislike school due to so many kids picking on him, no friends etc. Unfortunately there is no way to know if a certain school has nice kids or bully's until it's too late...I'm just trying to make the best decision I can for them...I would live on Mars if I was guaranteed my child could go to school with great understanding teachers and nice kids who don't tease their classmates that are a little different than them.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM

37 posts, read 116,653 times
Poinciana is not a bad area at all. The homes are very nice and relatively new for the price, mostly because the location is sorta out there. It has large populations of Cubans and Puerto Ricans (neither good nor bad, just pointing out the demographic.) The schools are not really top ones but keep in mind Poinciana straddles counties -- Osceola and Polk so there are some choices depending on where you are. I'd check options with both. I was thinking Osceola has some magnets you could apply to but I'm in Seminole County so not 100 percent.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastagal77 View Post
Hi all,

I have been reading other threads trying to find out info on Poinciana and I just had a few specific questions for those familiar with the area.

I will give you a brief recap on why I'm looking...Single parent have 2 kids 4 and 7. I currently live in VA just outside of DC but want to move back to Florida this summer 1) affordable housing (looking to buy) 2) closer to family in Tampa and Ocala 3) Cold weather is not for us.
We have lived in Miami (Homestead) and I've lived near Ocala (too country). I liked Miami but the schools left something to be desired.

I have looked at Jacksonville areas, North Broward and even Tampa which is the least desirable for me, I just don't care for it there..but keeping my options opened. The only reason I am considering Poinciana is affordability. I am in the medical field (coding and billing), but again I am a single parent and I can not always count on child support which is why affordability is a big factor for me, I like to be comfortable not living paycheck to paycheck.

So I see there are different Villages, and from some comments Village 7 seems to be the place to be? Also I see the schools don't have the best ratings around, but I did see a Fine Arts Charter that looks interesting...and my one son has an IEP so if I don't feel public is working for him I would probablt switch to private.

The only other concern is that from looking at Google Maps it is about an hour into Orlando, which would make for a long commute unless I can find something in Kissimmee..also read something about a new Medical Center/Hospital which looks promising.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Hello from Poinciana. I just want to say one thing, and that's don't move here! My husband and I moved here from Indiana in 2005 and we really regret it. Yes the houses are cheap, but they will never gain value. We live in Village 7, and it's nothing to be proud of. There is alot of crime here, and it wouldn't be good for a single mom and her children. About two years ago, we had our door kicked in at 7am in the morning by two latin teenagers. Luckly my husband wasn't home from work, for he works 3rd shift, and I had already left for work. They ransacked our house and stole all my jewerly. Luckly our neighbors saw what happened and called the police, and the two were caught not to far from our house. We were house number 3 that morning! If we could move from here we would in a flash! My husband drives an hour and a half to work everyday, and I drive an hour. I work for a resort at Disney . If you don't mind hearing spanish everywhere you go, then you won't mind living here. It doesn't feel like you are living in the United States..it's like a third world country. I'm sorry for giving you my bad review of Poinciana..but it's the truth. Have you looked in Fort Myers or Sarasota? The other coast is much cleaner and alot more like the old Florida..slower and a better place to raise kids. Well, good luck no matter what you decide.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorey View Post
Poinciana is not a bad area at all. The homes are very nice and relatively new for the price, mostly because the location is sorta out there. It has large populations of Cubans and Puerto Ricans (neither good nor bad, just pointing out the demographic.) The schools are not really top ones but keep in mind Poinciana straddles counties -- Osceola and Polk so there are some choices depending on where you are. I'd check options with both. I was thinking Osceola has some magnets you could apply to but I'm in Seminole County so not 100 percent.
I'm sorry, but are you serious?! I live in Village 7, and I don't see anything nice about it. People treat you like carp if you don't speak spanish. I went to Walmart and had to ask someone for assistance in the electronics department, and they wouldn't speak english to me. They flat refused. And the rude drivers! Don't get me started on that subject! Plus the hoa doesn't deserve to get paid, they don't do a thing. There are properties in our neighborhood that look like cr_ _! People destroy the houses they live in before they move out, or shall I say abandon! The plaster is falling off alot of the two story homes, and not to mention the mold growing on them. Shall I say more? This place is like a third world country! If we could afford to leave, we would in a flash! Sorry for bursting your bubble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando