Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,643 times

Advertisements

I hope to move down to Florida one day, and I was wondering what would be the best way to do it. I'm sick of Ohio, I can't stand winter and snow. Akron, OH has high unemployment and I know you do as well, but after some research, I found there are more jobs in my line of work than what's available in Akron. My line of work is in computers (programming, web design, graphics). I wouldn't have a whole lot to move since I'm 25 and still live with my parents, so just basically what's in my bedroom.

What I want to know is what would be the best way to move there? If you're not a native, how did you go about doing it? Did you find a job before you moved, or did you go down then find a job? The latter seems too risky for me to try. Any input from HR recruiters would also be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM

58 posts, read 163,244 times
Definitely lock in the job before moving.
If you're a coder, check with the HR people at Lockheed Martin & Seimens.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Yup, find a job then move here. I hear ya about the snow. I moved here from PA 11 years ago and don't miss those looong, dreary winters. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,643 times
I guess I could check at LM. I suppose it's going to be a challenge since I've only been out of college for 2 years and not much professional experience, so I would be searching for entry level jobs, and I wouldn't really stand out too much from the flood of local applicants. I have one goal in mind, and that is to get out of Ohio ASAP. I took a job search trip to Central Florida last July to no success. Any other input would be helpful.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM

238 posts, read 742,958 times
As it has been mentioned, find the job first. I'm retired. My wife found a job when we were down for a vacation. Jobs are scarce. Being in computers, have you checked on-line for anything available in your ine of work that would accept you at your entry level? Should you find a job, rent first (if you are considering buying) that way you'll have a chance to see if the area that you're living in is close to your job, shopping and entertainment. Traffic in Central Florida can be heavy/difficult at times. Be patient, if you want to get away from the winter/snow, you'll find a way to make it happen. Good Luck in your search!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I left Akron, Ohio in 1976 and joined the Navy so I "feel your pain". I hated those winters in Akron and dreary weather.

Well, Florida certainly does not get snow and darn hot and humid in the summer, but I'll take that weather any day of the week when compared to the winters up North.

Moving here? I would consider attending UCF or UF and get a under grad or graduate degree. Both are very good schools and it would give you a chance to get your feet wet in FL without worrying about a job right away. If not, get a job first, then move. Don't even consider moving here without a job. Another thing to consider is your support network, (friends, parents etc), are up there and not down here so you will have to rely just on yourself for a while.

Orlando is a "big small town" and spread out over a wide area. The downtown is about the same size as Akron. Housing costs vary depending on size, location, age etc...apartments are all over town.

Jobs - not a good situation for many people. Florida is still a "tourist, retired people" state. With some high tech. Nasa took a "Obama hit" so that will kill that area for a while.

South Florida - Not worth moving to unless you get a pretty good job offer. Too much crime, housing costs are higher, traffic, etc....

Tampa Area - Long term they have a problem with not enough water and sink holes.

Jacksonville - Nice, I have a good friend from high school that lives there for 30 years. The beaches are nice, jobs depends on your skill set.

You need to do some good planning where to move too and plan on living very conservative. But with Craigslist, garage sales, estate sales, you can get most of what you need for an apartment very cheaply. I lived in Japan while in the service, small 800 sq foot home, very little furniture, no car, so it is easy for me not to spend money. At this stage in your life you really don't need much more than a job and money in the bank.

Florida is a good choice, but don't limit yourself to it. You will have to "follow the jobs" and be ready to move. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

174 posts, read 455,207 times
You definitely want to find a job first and then move. My husband works for LM and it's a good company. He is off every other Friday and the plant closes from Christmas to New Years so you're off without having to use your vacation time. It takes FOREVER to get in with them (took him over 8 weeks), so just keep applying and be patient. You have a plus, you have a degree and you're young, so if you're willing to start low, it's the company to be in. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando