U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 12,707 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a new job and we have the opportunity to move into any community we would like, as long as it is close to Orlando itself and he can access the airport. We are coming from Michigan, so as we look, it is difficult to determine which area would be best.

We are looking for an area with good schools as our little one starts kindergarten this fall. Also, we would like to live in an area that is "small town" as we not not huge city life people. We come from the country area of MI and like the calm.

We have been looking into the following areas:
1. Clermont
2. Altamonte Springs
3. Lake Mary
4. Winter Springs

Any suggestions?!!!

Thank you for all you help!

~Relocating from MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM

399 posts, read 873,598 times
Baldwin Park.
Pre school, elementary and middle on site.
10 miles from OIA and 2.5 from downtown Orlando.
We moved here from Birmingahm in 2004 and love it.
Apts to multi million $$ homes.
Restaurants, Publix, CVS, banks etc within a 10 minute walk from home and bike trails around the lake etc.
Lots of young families and kids and we are in our 50's.
Check out Baldwinparkfl.com better yet visit it.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvansant View Post
My husband has accepted a new job and we have the opportunity to move into any community we would like, as long as it is close to Orlando itself and he can access the airport. We are coming from Michigan, so as we look, it is difficult to determine which area would be best.

We are looking for an area with good schools as our little one starts kindergarten this fall. Also, we would like to live in an area that is "small town" as we not not huge city life people. We come from the country area of MI and like the calm.

1. Clermont
2. Altamonte Springs
3. Lake Mary
4. Winter Springs

Any suggestions?!!!

~Relocating from MI
I live in orlando five minutes from Sea World and fifteen to Disney. If you are looking for Small town you will need to look into Celebration (very beautiful and family oriented) quite and peacefull. Only about twenty minutes from Orlando (Downtown), I do have a question you will need to decide on how much your husband loves or hates to drive...lets say around traffic congestion.

I have always live in big cities and have learned all the routes around and through any traffic situation. While having a GPS surely helps, (as it would help to allow you to get information for Detours prior to hitting the congested portion of I-4, 414, 436 etc.

If your husbands job is traveling while in Orlando (lets say he is a trucker, than it does not matter what small town you are in because he is already use to traffic and jams. But on the other hand if you or your family and small child are wanting to have good schools then I would suggest looking into Celebration, Lake Helen area, Kissimmee. My area is the area known as Central Florida Parkway and Woodruff Drive.

Behind my house is Triple A, school known as Waterbridge Elementary. The houses in the area are very well kept well 90%, it is very quiet, there are children in the area who alot of them keep to themselves or stay home as opposed to playing out in the front of the yard since this association does not alloe front fences to be placed in the front yard. My house does have a wrap around the back yard fence. The middle school also is a Triple A as well as the High School called Olympia High School.

There is an area called Hunters Creek that is very nice. The houses are worth the price. And this is an area that no matter the economy does hols its value. Also there is an area called Doctor Phillipps.

This area is what I call from rich to super rich so you may need to weigh out your cash before head there, (Dr. Phillipps). As well as Doctor Phillipps (100%), Water Bridge Elementary area Very Good (but not 100%), Hunters Creek 98%, Clermont very country things are very far but worth the fact that no one wants to travel to far to work. Although the traffic in Clermont is not so bad day or night, Altamonte Springs used to live there alot of drug areas splattered every where so you would be taking your chances. To far from Downtown. Maitland 50% bad 50% good schools.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM

2,144 posts, read 4,226,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvansant View Post

1. Clermont
2. Altamonte Springs
3. Lake Mary
4. Winter Springs

Any suggestions?!!!

~Relocating from MI
Of the areas listed, go for Clermont if you want something away from the city. The other areas are closer to congestion. Winter Springs might be ok, but Altamonte is congested. Lake Mary is also not exactly a small town either...lots of nice housing developments and shopping.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 AM

57 posts, read 141,097 times
Depending on how you define "small town," you might find that a little difficult to find in this area. Many communities (Avalon, Celebration, Baldwin Park, etc....) seek to acheive this - and depending on your outlook - may do very well. But if you're looking for rural, open farmland - just remember, you're still in the Orlando metroplex.

Your one location requirement seemed to be the airport.
We live in an area known as Tivoli Woods...there are basically three developments here - Sanctuary, Oak Crest and Bella Vista. Homes are 1 & 2 story, ranging from 1500 - 4000 sq ft (approx). We are 15 minutes from the Orlando International Airport, but far enough out to even experience a little wildlife. (Turkeys in the backyard last fall, frequent deer, chased a couple of cottontail rabbits outa my flowers a coupla days ago!) 5-10 minutes from grocers (mainly Publix - 3 of them...ha!), drug stores, home depot, etc. Right now, housing prices are great! (If you're the buyer)

I enjoy going home, chatting with the neighbors, greeting people as we walk our dogs, and relaxing by the pool.

Remember that OIA is on the south side of Orlando. Of the places you were considering, the only one that would give you relatively easy access would be Winter Springs (if you used the 417 - Central Fl Greenway). Clermont is far west, Lake Mary is north of Orlando (with the primary access road being I-4), and I work not too far from Altamonte Springs. I have made it to OIA from Altamonte in as little as 30 min, but that time could easily double depending on the traffic.

Sorry if this is really disjunct....back to work....best to you and your family as you move to sunny FL!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM

793 posts, read 2,151,617 times
Clermont is rural but his drive daily will get tiresome unless he uses I-75 to the 528 for OIA which is a toll route and although you also have Route 50 there are those dreaded stoplights.

Non-toll route Clermont to OIA

Now I sure people living in Clermont will have many different ways to get there I'm just giving you the google maps routes.

Have you looked into the area in & around Lake Nona, Wyndham Lakes, Moss Park?

Hope this helps,

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,195,214 times
I concur with looking at Baldwin Park. Very good location, two schools (Pk-8), very safe, nice area for walks, Publix, CVS, Bank, very close to Target, Sears, WM, can stay off I-4.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Clermont is rural but his drive daily will get tiresome unless he uses I-75 to the 528 for OIA which is a toll route and although you also have Route 50 there are those dreaded stoplights.

Non-toll route Clermont to OIA

Now I sure people living in Clermont will have many different ways to get there I'm just giving you the google maps routes.

Have you looked into the area in & around Lake Nona, Wyndham Lakes, Moss Park?

Hope this helps,
I-75? In Clermont? Not the one I live in.

I got to the airport almost every week. I avoid booking flights that would have me on the Tpke between 7:45 and 9:15 am. If I take a 7:00 am flight, I leave my house at 5:30, get to the park and fly on Semoran by 6:15, to the terminal and through security by 6:35 (I have a FlyClear card), and easily am on my flight.

My route takes me down Hartwood Marsh to the 429 to the Tpke to the 528 to Semoran. Like I said, 45 minutes if it's not rush hour.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

237 posts, read 616,147 times
Annerk, does your Fly Clear Card still work or is it being distibuted by another company? Info I had
received was that Fly Clear went out of business in 2009.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrman69 View Post
Annerk, does your Fly Clear Card still work or is it being distibuted by another company? Info I had
received was that Fly Clear went out of business in 2009.
They were bought by a new company and are back in business in Orlando and Denver with more airports coming online shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or