U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM

153 posts, read 350,929 times

Advertisements

My hubby works for LM in Orlando My father in law is considering moving to Lakeland and we've gone there a few times. It looks very slow and boring down there. I don't think you're going to like it.

Winter Park is nice but you're going to probably hit traffic getting to and from work, which around here is horrible. If you can afford to stay close, Dr. Phillips area then that's the way to go.

On a side note, you're going to like this LM plant. They're off every other Friday and closed from Christmas to New Years and you don't have to use your vacation time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,103,619 times
I would worry about the schools down in Polk county.

You will be much better in Metro Orlando somewhere. Trust me...

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

4,155 posts, read 7,470,293 times
Unless you plan on seeing your family daily you really don't need to be in the middle. The commute is only about 1.5 hrs to Brandenton depending on traffic.

Most of the other posters have pretty much already hit it on the end, Winter Park or Downtown would be a good match for you, WP for more peace and quiet. The commute won't be great but there are options. Instead of taking I4 there are many local roads that will get you to LM and you will be going opposite direction of the traffic.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 14,602 times
You guys are seriously awesome. Thanks so much for your input. I lived in Florida as a child, but in the panhandle. I'm looking forward to settling in the center of the state.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 10,090 times
I "live" this situation, so here's my personal opinion. I live on the eastern outskirts of tampa. My first job in the area was over in pinellas county. I put up with the commute for a few years (couldn't find an area I like or could afford in pinellas).
My next job was in Orlando...I didn't move, so then I had a long commute the OTHER way (4 years now). We love our neighborhood and schools and neighbors. However, after commuting too far for 9 years, we are finally moving NEAR my job. Commuting takes too much extra time away that I can spend with my wife and kids. it makes me more tired than I need to be too.
The bottom line is to be honest with yourselves about how much commute time your willing to handle. Maybe trying to be in the "middle" where you really aren't close to either one of the things that are important to you isn't a good compromise.
And as others have said, Lakeland isn't Tampa or Orlando. You aren't deciding between 3 similar areas.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM

2,138 posts, read 4,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlin View Post
Whew! I was afraid I was already thrashing the culture difference and insulting people before even making the move.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll look into Winter Park!
Also look at Thornton Park which is downtown, or perhaps Colonialtown next to it. This area has 3 independent theaters now: The Abbey is about to open in Thornton Park, Mad Cow downtown is well established, and Theater Downtown is just a few miles away on Ivanhoe Row. Lake Eola is the signature park of Orlando with the most festivals around the year and a weekly Farmers Market. There are lots of restaurants in walking distance, and it is a very charming neighborhood with old trees and brick streets...old homes though. Only thing is that there is a lot of nightlife in nearby downtown. If you live in Thornton Park or nearby Colonialtown though you won't hear it, but if you are near the main Thornton Park drag (Washington/Summerlin) there will be people walking around late on weekends. The other thing is that there are more homeless around Lake Eola than you would find in Winter Park (Park Ave/Hannibal Square being the main area). Both areas are nice, so definitely check them out.

The other area to check out would be College Park, which is just north of downtown on the other side of the highway. The main street is Edgewater and it has lots of neat shops and restaurants.

I am not sure about the school situation in these areas, so you should also consider that of course.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM

57 posts, read 139,082 times
You might want to check out Celebration or Hunter's Creek - both are on the south side of Orlando, nearer the attractions - but also closer to Tampa/Bradenton That will also place you close to the Orange Co. convention center - giving you the option of a lot of shows. It's not exactly an "artsy" area, but depending on the time you have to spend, the Winter Park/Maitland area is within 30-45 minutes (depending on your drive time traffic patterns).

My son works for LM - you might want to find out whether you'll be located at the Sand Lake facility or at Lake Underhill - or even the Quadrangle. Sand Lake and Lake Underhill are a good 30 minutes apart. If you're at the Lake Underhill location, you'll find a close neighborhood called "Hidden Lakes Preserve" close by - I've seen several properties in that subdivision for excellent prices. Builder was DeLuca. At that location, you are also near the Waterford Lakes subdivision (quite large) and several others....Waterford Lakes shopping has just about anything you'd want.

Best wishes on your move!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM

98 posts, read 217,176 times
I work for LM at the Sand Lake location, and as someone who is moving from Philly, you'd probably appreciate living in any of the downtown neighborhoods (Lake Eola Heights, College Park, Audubon Park, Baldwin Park, Thornton Park, Delaney Park, and Colonialtown). Anything outside of these neighborhoods is suburban hell, but some people like that sort of thing.

College Park is a great area with a wide variety of housing price points and good schools. It's close but removed from the downtown core and 5-10 minutes from Winter Park. Edgewater Drive is the main drag with all the restaurants and Publix grocery store, which is kinda like a town square since everyone shops there. There;s a farmer's market every Thursday that's well attended. The Antique Row area on Orange Avenue is the other corridor with eclectic shops and more restaurants and an independent theater and is anchored at the northern end by Florida Hospital's huge campus.

I live in College Park near Princeton Elementary School and can get to Lockheed in 15-20 minutes in the mornings and home in the evening in 30-45 minutes. I take I-4 most of the time but sometimes mix it up with Kirkman to Colonial to Edgewater or Kirkman to 408 to I-4 to Princeton St. or I-4 to John Young to Princeton. If you're at the Lake Underhill complex, the commute time is the same from downtown by way of the 408 to Rouse Road.

My in-laws live in Tampa, too, and we can get there in 90 minutes, which isn't that bad for weekend visits. There's no advantage to living in Lakeland just to be closer to Tampa unless your husband gets a job there.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,469 times
Celebration is also a great area. They always have festivals and events; all within walking distance. When are you planning on moving?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 AM

812 posts, read 1,322,336 times
Two words should dictate your options:

Gas Prices

Live as close to work as possible....

That being said I know there is an LM facility in the North Tampa area and you might want to see if that's a possibility if you want to be closer to the family. LM is an awesome company, but if your family comes first in reality, I would use LM to get down here, rent, find a place and a job you like near Bradenton, then do it. Oh and don't let your babies grow up to be Bradenton Manatees, go Cavaliers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or