U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 PM

10 posts, read 25,173 times

Advertisements

I moved here because my wife wanted to live in a warm climate and I do have to say it is very oppressive most of the time. I waited months to buy this foreclosure and got a terrific deal so I thought! but not so good because it is so depressed in this area. My two biggest problems are the extremely rude people and the horrific driving conditions and not to mention the crime it is so bad. Just visit a local television newscast website and see for yourself. I will be deciding in the near future if I remain to stay here or not. I have been here a year now and we must live in the home for 2 years because of government taxes on gains of a home but I will be lucky if I break even. I will keep this brief but I hope this helps someone from being attracted to the affordable housing in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 AM

20,065 posts, read 27,925,076 times
It's actually not helpful. Not all areas are suitable for everyone, and not to be offensive but much of Kissimmee does have a reputation for crime and depressed conditions. A warning would be more suitable, for prospective buyers to do their homework and not jump on a house solely because it's a good deal.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 AM

156 posts, read 355,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's actually not helpful. Not all areas are suitable for everyone, and not to be offensive but much of Kissimmee does have a reputation for crime and depressed conditions. A warning would be more suitable, for prospective buyers to do their homework and not jump on a house solely because it's a good deal.
ITA! Kissimmee is one of the worst areas to live in. Sorry it's not working out for you.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,696,542 times
When it comes to traffic, my guess is that they never had a master future planning project, ever. And now that the area has grown by 200% over the last 15 years they have no idea how to deal with it.

Same with crime, they allowed a lot of business and homes to be built without a lot of forethought of who would live and work there. Now they are reaping the fruits of it.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,890,862 times
Kissimmee has some drawbacks. When people ask me I fidn there are some great deals in areas I'd rather live in that have the safety, looks, convenience and so forth... and much better schools too.

I'm sorry I didn't meet you before, I may have been able to spare you the heartache and still get you the great deal you wanted. This forum is a great means to get opinions where others can say things agents can't.

I hope things get better for you.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM

I thank everyone for the replies! I have decided to market my home in late summer and hopefully I will be able to sale it approximately at when my 2 year requirement by law to avoid taxes on gains is due. I will be leaving Florida unsure of the location of my next home. Thank god I got a good deal so I will not take to much of beating. I should have listened to the comments made on Kissimmee from several people online which were not very positive. I did not believe things could be this depressing being so close to Disney and all. I am sure all will work out in the end.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,802,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohby View Post
I moved here because my wife wanted to live in a warm climate and I do have to say it is very oppressive most of the time. I waited months to buy this foreclosure and got a terrific deal so I thought! but not so good because it is so depressed in this area. My two biggest problems are the extremely rude people and the horrific driving conditions and not to mention the crime it is so bad. Just visit a local television newscast website and see for yourself. I will be deciding in the near future if I remain to stay here or not. I have been here a year now and we must live in the home for 2 years because of government taxes on gains of a home but I will be lucky if I break even. I will keep this brief but I hope this helps someone from being attracted to the affordable housing in Florida.

Can I ask where you moved from? Moving to a tourist area you will usually find heavy traffic and possibly rude people. Friendships are harder to make because of the swinging door movement of people in and out of the area. Crime can happen anywhere and is usually higher in transient areas because people can get lost easier where no one knows them.
My SIL moved here a few years back (actually to a Tampa suburb which we considered small town. She however was from a town of 5,000 in Illinois and then a town of 3,000 in Iowa. She lasted just a few months before selling the house she had just bought and returned home. She ghated the traffic( and she didn't even drive into Tampa), she hated the people living in her neighborhood-except for her sister) , and she was scared because of all they blow up to make sound bigger than it really is on the news.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM

I moved from Dover, De. the economy forced me to downsize mainly that has been why we moved to Fl. because of cheaper home prices and my wife choose Fl. I had my concerns about this move from the start.
As far as Dover it is a much nicer city over Kissimmee any day. I find my neighbors are much to themselves and it is a small development in Oceola county near Poincienna and Kissimmee but still concidered Kissimmee. I find that this area has grown so big that there is more going on here than meets the eye. Traffic, crime, drugs, etc.. I find even going to the local grocery store here you still must be very carefull, in the past weak I had to lock up my breaks twice to avoid hitting someone. The police are to busy to enforce road rage just a month ago a young teen was shot and killed from road rage. These are mainly back roads and considered a country like area for the outskirts of Orlando, so I was told! it feels like city driving most of the time. I have one neighbor that told me he has been in Kissimmee for 15 yrs. and cannot afford to leave. I find the locals to be more rude then the people who relocate here sort of maybe like they own the area. We are all just using are space till we move on.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,478 times
I am looking to move to Kissimmee and St Cloud area.

We are looking at two houses at Remington and Steven Plantation. The house looks nice and affordable, but I could use some insider information from the locals .

Any help highly appreciated.

Best,
njrookie

Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM

511 posts, read 693,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohby View Post
Check the news at how bad it is?? That's rich, certainly they have no agenda..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or