Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,687 times

Advertisements

hi, i am a 26 yr old young single mom with 3 little ones ..i currently live in the city of brockton ma, and have been dreaming for a few years now of moving to Fl, preferably FT Lauderdale but am also thinking Orlando area (i know big diffrence), my dad lived in FT L for 10 yrs and says it is beautiful,as i would love to be able to get out work and just take the kids to the beach and play...I am very nervous about taking this huge step by myself to state where most people arent originally from and where i know NOONE!!..I need advice on where to start. (SIGH)..i do hold a sec. 8 voucher but am looking to make a decent living (beauty and brains) dont want to live in the hood but would like to move somewhere where i can meet decent people, good schools, good work and GREAT football teams for my 9 yr old!(pop warner)??..PLEASE any advice will be GREAT, as i wake up and go to sleep dreaming of beng in the sunshine state!...what can i expect if i move here? hows the job market (office, secretary work)...is there lots to do with the kids? is it as great as it sounds? will it be a culture shock from up north? i am sooo interested in this i look up all types of stuff on my lunch break everyday but need actual peoples opinions on this...thank you Floridans for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 02:46 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
If you want great Football you have to think Lake Mary or Lake Brantley.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,687 times
Lake Mary? Is that near Orlando area...whats it like over there?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frombostontoflorida View Post
Lake Mary? Is that near Orlando area...whats it like over there?
There are a lot of threads about Lake Mary (one on the front page of the orlando section right now) that should be helpful. Try Google mapping it.

If you are planning on working Downtown I don't recommend it unless you like sitting in traffic.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Lake Mary

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 14,570 times
Moved to the Orlando area from CT last year. Can't beat the endless summer weather and I don't miss my snow shovel! Definitely expect culture shock- it's different down here. We chose an apartment complex while our house in CT is on the market. This has many ups and downs if you're used to living in a house. Upside is the playground, pool, close neighbors to meet, downside is the close quarters and noise from neighbors. Guess you can't have it all?

Still looking for where we want to be down here so an apartment rental to start is perfect for us. Be prepared to spend a crazy amount of time waiting at traffic lights, a slower pace of life, and wearing shorts and tank tops every day. No regrets moving here at all, good luck to you!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Yes there will be culture shock. New England and FL are just two very different places however that doesn't mean it will be a terrible transition. It's more of a getting used to process than a difficult one, IMO. There are great pop warner leagues all over FL, if there's one thing we know here it's football. The one thing I will say about choosing between here and SFL is that you will not be able to get to the beach from either one unless you live on the east side of town here or east of 95 in SFL.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM

167 posts, read 409,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTmominfl View Post
Moved to the Orlando area from CT last year. Can't beat the endless summer weather and I don't miss my snow shovel! Definitely expect culture shock- it's different down here. We chose an apartment complex while our house in CT is on the market. This has many ups and downs if you're used to living in a house. Upside is the playground, pool, close neighbors to meet, downside is the close quarters and noise from neighbors. Guess you can't have it all?

Still looking for where we want to be down here so an apartment rental to start is perfect for us. Be prepared to spend a crazy amount of time waiting at traffic lights, a slower pace of life, and wearing shorts and tank tops every day. No regrets moving here at all, good luck to you!
Not so sure Orlando is a "slower pace of life."

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
Not so sure Orlando is a "slower pace of life."
Agreed, it's slower pace than Boston/Cambridge but I find Orlando to be just as fast paced as some the smaller cities like Brockton and even Providence.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Agreed, it's slower pace than Boston/Cambridge but I find Orlando to be just as fast paced as some the smaller cities like Brockton and even Providence.
Yeah and it's a totally different "slower" pace than a small town. It's the Florida Sunshine which seems to contribute to the laid back, recreational vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando