Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 99,176 times

Advertisements

Orlando is a beautiful place to live but it cost money. I moved here almost 3 yrs. ago and I still cannot find work. I have a grad. degree and my career background is in Social Services. What I have notice is that it is not what, but who you know in this town.

I have been told on many occassions that I am well qualified and at times, over qualified. Sometimes I have to "water-down" my resume which at times, does not help. The problem is that this state is way behind when it comes to getting decent companies to bring businesses into the state. There is more to life than Disney. Everyone cannot work at Disney or find jobs at Disney/Seaworld and there can only be so many hotels and restaurants to provide employment.

Someone mentioned in their earlier post, that interview skills may not be up to par, which can be one of the main reason(s) why some are having difficulty finding employment. While there may be some truth to this, I really do not think this is the major factor here. It is simply. There are not enough jobs to go around. While I understand that we are in a bad financial state in regards to the economy I also find it insulting when a potential employee is offered $9 hrly. to do a job that otherwise pays more in other states or cities. It is definately exploitation!

As for employers firing people base on their dislikes of employees, it is evidently clear that this state is far behind in regards to employment law and civil rights. Maybe the higher ups are under the impression that the state of Florida is a "Third World" country/caribbean..

I really wonder how others' are affected since I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse with 2.5 bathrooms and have been trying to rent a room for the longest. Yes, I posted on craigslist but no luck. I do not live beyond my means. I got rid of cable and utilize my library membership for movies. Basically, I only have my cellphone, car and the roof over my head and this is mainly because I cannot find income to provide me with the little things that means a lot.

In all honesty, it is best working for yourself in the sunny state. I am currently awaiting my approval for my contract with the state to provide services to people with disabilities. It is something I am compassionate about and I believe that I will find my niche to once again enjoy what I love doing most.

Good luck to all

Last edited by chinesedoll; 08-11-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 AM

33 posts, read 99,176 times
Having a degree is no guarantee that you will do great here financially but it is a sure way to get your foot in some doors.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
While I understand that we are in a bad financial state in regards to the economy I also find it insulting when a potential employee is offered $9 hrly. to do a job that otherwise pays more in other states or cities. It is definately exploitation!
I agreed with you until you made this statement. As long as there are people who are willing to take that position for $9 hourly (because it is worth it for them to stay in the area), it is NOT exploitation. It is the FREE MARKET. Nobody has to live in Orlando. If nobody would take the job, they would have to increase the pay.

If you were an employer, would you raise your pay rate because people could make more in other states, even though you were getting plenty of applicants?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCode123 View Post
ok thank you for all the weather comments but thats not what i was really wondering about, what is the job market like?what is the general environment like?the crime rate?the weather information was abit helpful in a sense but I think Florida is hot in general.
Well, from what I can gather, maybe if you give a little more info, some folks can help more.

What specific job market? As you can see, some markets are hot, some are not....what general field?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM

88 posts, read 264,760 times
In a nutshell...when job searching whatever you have will NEVER BE ENOUGH! A legal degree (YOU MUST TYPE 70 wpm) and to hell with the sheepskin. Experience with Microsoft Office-you NEED ADVANCED skills in all programs. You prefer 8 hour work days-they WANT PEOPLE WHO WORK 12 hour shifts only. You speak English-(BILINGUAL ONLY).
A bachelor's degree with experience and knowing all computer programs pays $10.00 an hour. There are a high amount of lay-offs in Orlando, rarely any good jobs, even the engineers are contracting work and they keep you until you're about to get bennies and kick you to the curb. Ask me questions I've been there and done that first hand.
moonbeam

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
I think a lot of folks in the market looking for a job really need to examine the attitudes they are taking to their jobs not only in their interviews but on a daily basis. Having a job, and then acting like they are doing their employer a favor...well, it's really counter productive. Attitudes like Moonbeam's (not trying to get personal, just using the example) are all too common on these job threads and people wonder why they can't get a job. If I met them, I could write them a book as to what they needed to do to help themselves out....seriously. NO ONE OWES YOU A JOB!! GET OUT THERE AND EARN IT! AND THEN, DESERVE TO KEEP IT, OK!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
NO ONE OWES YOU A JOB!! GET OUT THERE AND EARN IT! AND THEN, DESERVE TO KEEP IT, OK!
Thats one way to excuse the horrible Orlando job market.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats one way to excuse the horrible Orlando job market.
Then how do you explain the 90% of people who ARE employed, many of us making a good salary? Hmmmm....

Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
this is interesting to me ...as in uk.Florida orlando timeshare.visitor for 23 years.I see it from both angles.the rip off part....anyone heard of Macanthony Realty International? based in Orlando .Ripped off thousands of innocent investors .I am one of a group of over 400 persons.Their reach is extraordinary- Spain, cyprus, Bulgaria,But orlando based.( owned by darragh Macanthony)

Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM

88 posts, read 264,760 times
Who are the 90 percent and from what group? Where do you get your information? How and where would you get that information ? Fill in the answers....it's subjective...what's your idea of a good salary and what do you do for a living as well as all these other people who back up the ideology of an imaginary Orlando job market. Hmmmmm...
How can it possibly be a decent place to get a job when it's the third highest in the country for foreclosures?
moonbeam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando