U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM

80 posts, read 140,069 times

Advertisements

We just put in an offer on a house in Winter Springs (Winding Hollow subdivision) and I would love some insight on how much utilities will be per month for the following house

Built in 1995
Single Pane Windows
2 Levels
In Ground Pool (currently no heating, but we will add solar heat)
2900 sq feet
5 bedrooms, 3 full baths
Plantation Shutters
Backs to conservation, SOME shade but not a ton.

Im hearing everything from $200-700 per month for power (really???) and then $40-100 per month for water/sewer/trash pickup

Can anyone give me some rough estimate on what they pay in the area monthly for bills? We have 2 adults and 2 small kids (1 and 4) living in the house total and we like to keep the A/C on 73 in the summer and 68 in the winter

Any insight would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 AM

433 posts, read 665,976 times
We rented a 3,400 sq ft 4/3 in Longwood that ran us $160 in spring/fall -$300+ in summer /winter. We usually run about 50% LESS than most families (from asking around)

With two stories, the costs might be more to equalize the upstairs from the heat in summer.

Water costs around $50-75, more if watering the plants/grass.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM

7,953 posts, read 7,100,278 times
Call Progress Energy - they can tell you specifically what the bills in that home have been. The water company can do the same.

If you have a pool it will add a little to the bill, as does size, insulation, trees in the yard and so forth. the best answer will come from the power company.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM

80 posts, read 140,069 times
Yeah I did that today and wow, $450 a month average the last 2 months and its not even that hot yet in Florida! What is the deal with making you pay a deposit no matter what sort of credit you have, too? We have stellar credit and I havent paid a deposit after my college days so them telling me I need to also plop down 2 months average to the tune of $900 is kinda crazy

Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 36,844 times
welcome to progress energy country.. they are terrible.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 AM

7,953 posts, read 7,100,278 times
Here are some ideas to better those power bills

1) change to LED lights - they last longer than cfl (which aren't designed to be turned off when you leave a room...that's why they burn out faster than the hours they project)

2) With a pool switch to the vaiable speed pump , it can drop power use by 80%(power for the pool)

3) The water heater is a big consumer, if you are in OUC territory - they offer a credit for the heat pump water heaters which will cover their cost, they consume 1/3 or less of the normal water heater. You could also go solar and eliminate the electric use.

4) The AC unit drops its SEER rating about 1 unit / year with higher efficiency units you can likely make great reductions

These are the biggest consumers of power in the home. Other things you can do -

Insulate and apply radiant barrier in the attic
solar vents on the roof
sprayed insulation
check the ducts for leaks
tint windows

Active solutions include solar panels. You can make your home a zero energy home but the first step is reducing consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando