Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
What's the point in going?
What's the point in living? What's the point in Launching these things in the first place? What's the point of the Space Program to begin with? I'm not asking these questions to belittle anyone, just point out that there are a LOT of questions, and for every one I thought of, there are a million more questions, and 6 billion + answers. Sure we might share a lot of the answers, but ultimately they are our own when pressed for the details.

To me launches are about a LOT of noise and light.

It's about being connected to history, even if as the most obscure footnote possible.

It's about community. There are only a few million people who care like I do, it's nice to connect with them.

It's about community and collectively willing the souls aboard to their destination safely.

It's about hope. Hope that their work is safe, productive, and MATTERS.

It's about watching 6-7 souls ascend to where my soul cries and even sometimes screams to wish to go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM

76 posts, read 665,072 times
Has anyone viewed a launch from the Max Brewer bridge. I have been to Spaceview park and some of the other small parks nearby, but I'm thinking about trying the bridge out since it has a higher vantage point. I'm curios if anyone knows where the best place to park is and how fast the bridge fills up.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM

288 posts, read 734,035 times
I'm thinking about watching it right here, from Crane's Roost.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8film40 View Post
Has anyone viewed a launch from the Max Brewer bridge. I have been to Spaceview park and some of the other small parks nearby, but I'm thinking about trying the bridge out since it has a higher vantage point. I'm curios if anyone knows where the best place to park is and how fast the bridge fills up.
I do not think the bridge ITSELF will support viewers on it, but I'll be thrilled to be wrong... I have been out of town for a few years and just realized the other day that they rebuilt the bridge to the FMP station. How this impacts the way they control the crowd there will be interesting.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
I'm thinking about watching it right here, from Crane's Roost.
If anything, I'd go to the parking garage by the theater. The local schools (Forrest city) have large lots that provide a great vantage point with the least restrictions possible.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
I do not think the bridge ITSELF will support viewers on it, but I'll be thrilled to be wrong... I have been out of town for a few years and just realized the other day that they rebuilt the bridge to the FMP station. How this impacts the way they control the crowd there will be interesting.
I had done some research and found that the bridge is closed to vehicle traffic prior to the launch and is open as a viewing location. Apparently it just recently was finished and during the last launch was the first time it had been opened during a launch.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I had done some research and found that the bridge is closed to vehicle traffic prior to the launch and is open as a viewing location. Apparently it just recently was finished and during the last launch was the first time it had been opened during a launch.
Do you know what the timing is or do they close it as soon as the FMP Island fills up and that's it?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Do you know what the timing is or do they close it as soon as the FMP Island fills up and that's it?
I believe I read somewhere that the bridge would close two hours before launch. But I'm not sure when they let people on the bridge, I think (but haven't been on it myself) that there is a separate pedestrian walkway so I'm not really sure. the park website says it has parking for a little under 100 cars. I'm planning on getting there early but I'm thinking even so that might be full by then. I'm hoping there is somewhere else close by to park. This website talks briefly about the bridge.
Launch Viewing: Where & How to Watch, View and See Space Shuttle Launches

Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I believe I read somewhere that the bridge would close two hours before launch. But I'm not sure when they let people on the bridge, I think (but haven't been on it myself) that there is a separate pedestrian walkway so I'm not really sure. the park website says it has parking for a little under 100 cars. I'm planning on getting there early but I'm thinking even so that might be full by then. I'm hoping there is somewhere else close by to park. This website talks briefly about the bridge.
Launch Viewing: Where & How to Watch, View and See Space Shuttle Launches
I was planning on getting there much before then to watch AF-1 anyway. But thanks for the head's up... I might just go there straight from work tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I was planning on getting there much before then to watch AF-1 anyway. But thanks for the head's up... I might just go there straight from work tomorrow.
I hadn't thought about trying to watch AF-1, but I just looked that up it is said to land at Orlando International but can't find out when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando