Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 80,148 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I live in Massachusetts and will be moving to Florida next year, due to lung problems that leave me nearly incapacitated in the Fall/Winter season. I really love the Winter Park area, but I'm wondering about a few things and hope someone can help me out.
I will be 44 and will be moving with my 14 year-old daughter. I chose Winter park because it appears to be quite a bit like the town I live in (which I would stay in if it weren't for the New England weather!).
I'm interested in living in a safe city/town with good schools and a family feel. I would also like to be somewhat close to Orlando and Daytona Beach, but without the vacation craziness. I work from home, so I'm not concered about available jobs. I would like to rent for about a year before buying anywhere.
Winter Park seems perfect (climate, location, etc.), but I was quite surprised to see the rental prices. Beautiful condos, townhomes and single families for very low amounts ($600-$850). I'm wondering if I'm just used to Mass prices or if Winter Park has suffered terribly from the economy and is not a nice place to live anymore.
I would appreciate any advice or info that can be offered regarding people, neighborhoods, schools, crime, etc. We will be leaving behind everything that we have always known and I'd like all the reassurance I can get.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM

58 posts, read 163,244 times
Depending on the area of WP you're moving to, it will be a great experience. Before you make the move - post some of your potential residence spots to the board and several folks will be able to guide you in the right direction. I lived in WP for about 15 yrs while our son was growing up - great place!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 30,888 times
I work in Winter Park and just love the hometown feel. There is great shopping and restaurants, art galleries, festivals and farmers market. The area around Park Avenue is very expensive, however, if you branch out a little prices do come down a bit. Like most cities some areas are more desirable than others and that holds true with Winter Park. There are many nice areas of Orlando and some excellent school districts. Be open to look in other areas also. I know you'll be able to find the perfect place for you and your daughter.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 18,544 times
Hello, I am a 22 year old single female considering moving to Winter Park to attend the Full Sail Creative Writing Program. Does anyone have any insights, suggestions, considerations for me as a young adult moving to Florida from Colorado?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 39,253 times
Default moving to florida

I know the director of Full Sail (I was in a mom's group with his wife...Allison Noteboom)...very friendly people. Anyways, Winter Park is a very nice area to live...by Mass. standards, would be considered cheap...you do have to look around and search for the "nice" areas because there are some semi-ghetto looking areas surrounding Winter Park...I would also ask a realtor to show you places in Thornton Park ...also Baldwin Park is a cool, nice and new development area as well.

Good luck to both of the posters..the Full Sail student and the Mass. native

Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Winter Park is a great place and all that you described. Rents in nicer parts tend to be above what you quoted so be sure to look it over as the places for that amount might not be the best Winter Park has to offer. The schools are very good for your daughter and there are many things to do. I expect you will love it here.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 80,148 times
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will be coming down in November to check out the different neighborhoods and get a better idea of which areas I'm thinking I'd like. Will definitely repost when I have more info.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I had a bad hay fever attack this past spring and I think it was form the Oak trees. I live in Baldwin Park and my children attend school in WP. I think you daughter would be attending the new 9th grade center which was recently competed then off to WP High School. There are some shady parts of WP. Maitland is close to WP so you might check that out too.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I am asthmatic and have serious breathing problems in the spring here in central Florida. Enough so that my doctor has wanted to hospitalize me several times.

Make sure you aren't going from frying pan to fire before you make that commitment. During the dry season we've got everything blooming (and when it's new to you flora, your histamines will go nuts!) and brush fires galore. It makes breathing a choking, miserable effort even for those without pulmonary problems.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 39,253 times
Default moving ... allergies/asthma concern

I have severe allergies and my asthma causes problems for me a few times per month....I lived in Orlando for 11 years and just recently moved. Orlando was not bad at all for me; I think it depends on your problems. I lived in the Tuskawilla area (Winter Springs) and there were many oak trees around since I'm not allergic to oaks, it wasn't a problem for me. It just depends. GL and I hope you love Orlando as much as we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando