Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 54,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I live in PA and visited friends and family in Sanford last year and am really eager to relocate to that area. I love it and have alot of friends there.
The problem is, I am having a really hard time looking for work long-distance. Most employers dont even consider your resume if you're from out-of-state. I am at the point of just moving without employment and looking when I get there this summer, but I don't want to be irresponsible. I am single, almost 30, and have held the same job for 6 years so this is a big step.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:06 PM

96 posts, read 186,920 times
While I am not in the Orlando area yet, I am also moving there this summer. And my wife and I are also looking for work, it is very true. FL employers (like everywhere else in the country) will not consider you for employment unless you are already there. I am in NJ right now, have been with the same job for 6 years also. Sort of similar situation here. DM me to let me know how it worked out for you. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 65,336 times
I work in sanford for a I.T. company. jobs down here are hard to come by and trust me when i say, florida does not pay on the same scale as the northeast. if you were working up there for example for about 75,000, expect to be LUCKY if you get the same type of job here and expect to get paid up to 40 percent less.

Sanford, also be careful on the where in sanford you plan to move to.. some areas are a little on the "not so desirable"

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Go to Let's Get To Work Now.com and check out the Job Openings section and also be sure to post your resume. It's a local radio station that is challenging Gov. Rick Scott on a 30-day challenge to see who can get more folks back to work, so it's a win win. There are lots of places looking for help and people are calling the show everyday to report 1st and 2nd interviews and many are even getting hired now just 2 weeks into the challenge. They held a huge job fair yesterday at a local hotel and of course are operating this website and using their show to help people out. If I were looking for work right now, this is what I would use because these are companies whose local HR folks have gone out of their way to participate. People are calling the show and saying that this is the first time they've had a reply from a potential employer since they've been laid off. I'm proud of the human element being reintroduced into the process instead of just sending online applications and resumes into deep space.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 65,336 times
I have also pm'ed you some info to help you find something near sanford

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM

96 posts, read 186,920 times
Oh, wow. I just visited the link and I think this is great! I agree with OrlFlaUsa in the fact that they are introducing the human element to the job search. its good to see actual email addresses with real people's names to send a resume.

Thanks for your PM tremble!

Victor

Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJVICK123 View Post
Oh, wow. I just visited the link and I think this is great! I agree with OrlFlaUsa in the fact that they are introducing the human element to the job search. its good to see actual email addresses with real people's names to send a resume.

Thanks for your PM tremble!

Victor
Good luck Victor, they legally trade marked Rick Scott's motto of "Let's Get to Work," and are holding it "hostage" during this 30-day challenge. They even got Rick Scott to call in for an interview and he said he liked what they were doing and that he supports anything to get Floridians back to work. Well if he loses this competition, he's gonna loose his motto, have to change his URL, and anything else that says, "Let's Get to Work." However they want, and expect to lose to a Governor who ran on jobs. Let's hope both they and the Governor kick butt and truly compete and in the process get folks like you and many others much needed, good jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando