U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Winter Park, FL
1,860 posts, read 2,499,827 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I have been to LA and never once seen a double decker freeway. There is a reason the roads in Orlando are built the way they are
I have never seen them there either. I have driven all over the country and I rarely see them. On top of that I think it's a horrible idea. I always wonder if people are joking when they suggest that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: PA/FL/UT
1,294 posts, read 1,670,378 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I have never seen them there either. I have driven all over the country and I rarely see them. On top of that I think it's a horrible idea. I always wonder if people are joking when they suggest that.
They exist in San Fran, but that is on the Bay Bridge, which is different. Can't say I ever calmly drove on that bridge without thinking of the earthquake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM
 
23,293 posts, read 30,366,959 times
Reputation: 10467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I have never seen them there either. I have driven all over the country and I rarely see them. On top of that I think it's a horrible idea. I always wonder if people are joking when they suggest that.
I've seen them in Chicago and Boston, otherwise they seem mostly reserved to bridges and tunnels--think the GWB and Bay Bridge for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
908 posts, read 922,110 times
Reputation: 432
How can a rail project succeed in a city like Orlando that is completely suburban sprawled? It will not work, at this point more roads would be the best solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
5,441 posts, read 6,720,500 times
Reputation: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Your opinion is very wrong. I live here and know how many of my neighbors do indeed commute to Orlando on a daily basis.
No opinion can be wrong when all it is in an opinion. I didnt throw out any "facts" or made up numbers at you, if I had dont that then you could have said I was wrong. My opinion is not wrong, an opinion is simply an opinion, a belief its neither right nor wrong. Just because you disagree with me is no reason to say I'm wrong

Lake County has about 312,000 residents as of 2009 (according to City-Data.com) http://www.city-data.com/county/Lake_County-FL.html

Just because a lot of your neighbors are willing to commute 20+ miles a day downtown doesn't mean all of Lake County is doing it

And I would think that a lot of Lake County residents most likely work in Lake County too, unless they are in the 4 Corners area, then they are most likely Disney employees. Only a small population lives in Lake County and works in Downtown Orlando, which is why Lynx hasn't improved on its 204 Route since it began, though I will say it is still going the last time I checked so it is at least moderately successful. And it seems just like common sense to me that most average occupations if Lake residents cant find them in their own county, then they may commute to Ocoee, Winter Garden or Apopka right along the county line

What about northern Lake County?
Do you really think a lot of residents in Leesburg and Eustis up in Northern Lake County are commuting THAT far every day. Sure some are, but thats a lot of gas to burn through every week, and at todays prices not many are doing it

All I said was that if a rapid transit line did extend into Lake County that you wouldnt see many riders going ALL the way downtown. Some will but most wont. A lot of them would most likely get off in Winter Garden or Ocoee. But hey thats just me being logical

Even though I'm a huge cheerleader for Orange County there is a lot of good things to be said about Lake County, the big one being the cost of living. A lot of people move to Lake County because its much cheaper to live there than Orange, it is also much quieter and less bustling than Orange County which a lot of people like. Its also much newer, Lake County's homes are beautiful and pretty new for the most part

The downside of Lake County is its location. Its simply too far away from the city center IMO to make a daily commute like that feasible. Which is why its cheap, its far from the city center and still pretty rural

Rambling over, and done with you before a thread war gets started. I simply stated an opinion and you calling me wrong was simply uncalled for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
5,441 posts, read 6,720,500 times
Reputation: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've seen them in Chicago and Boston, otherwise they seem mostly reserved to bridges and tunnels--think the GWB and Bay Bridge for example.
GWB is double decker. So is Interstate 84 in Waterbury, CT only double deckers I've ever seen

That would never work for I-4, just think of how much worse traffic would be if they tried constructing that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
 
23,293 posts, read 30,366,959 times
Reputation: 10467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
No opinion can be wrong when all it is in an opinion. I didnt throw out any "facts" or made up numbers at you, if I had dont that then you could have said I was wrong. My opinion is not wrong, an opinion is simply an opinion, a belief its neither right nor wrong. Just because you disagree with me is no reason to say I'm wrong

Lake County has about 312,000 residents as of 2009 (according to City-Data.com) http://www.city-data.com/county/Lake_County-FL.html

Just because a lot of your neighbors are willing to commute 20+ miles a day downtown doesn't mean all of Lake County is doing it
I didn't say all was, but not all of the eastern suburb residents are either.

Quote:
And I would think that a lot of Lake County residents most likely work in Lake County too, unless they are in the 4 Corners area, then they are most likely Disney employees. Only a small population lives in Lake County and works in Downtown Orlando, which is why Lynx hasn't improved on its 204 Route since it began, though I will say it is still going the last time I checked so it is at least moderately successful. And it seems just like common sense to me that most average occupations if Lake residents cant find them in their own county, then they may commute to Ocoee, Winter Garden or Apopka right along the county line
They added another 100 parking spots to the park and ride and added bike racks last year. They are struggling with the fact that lot is nearing capacity, and looking for space for a second commuter lot. So again, your information is out of date/inaccurate.

Quote:
What about northern Lake County?
Do you really think a lot of residents in Leesburg and Eustis up in Northern Lake County are commuting THAT far every day. Sure some are, but thats a lot of gas to burn through every week, and at todays prices not many are doing it
Considering that I can name about 30 people I personally know who live in The Villages, Mount Dora, and Tavares and commute to Orlando for work every day, again, you are wrong. Stop conjecturing about something you have zero knowledge of.


Quote:
All I said was that if a rapid transit line did extend into Lake County that you wouldnt see many riders going ALL the way downtown. Some will but most wont. A lot of them would most likely get off in Winter Garden or Ocoee. But hey thats just me being logical
No, that's you making incorrect assumptions based on your imagination rather than facts.

Have you ever even been in Clermont? Do you know a single person who lives here? My neighbor commutes to the Florida Mall for work every day for crying out loud! My other neighbor works at Winnie Palmer, and another splits his time between an office in Clermont and an office on Orange Ave.

Quote:
Even though I'm a huge cheerleader for Orange County there is a lot of good things to be said about Lake County, the big one being the cost of living. A lot of people move to Lake County because its much cheaper to live there than Orange, it is also much quieter and less bustling than Orange County which a lot of people like. Its also much newer, Lake County's homes are beautiful and pretty new for the most part
Seriously, have you been to Lake County lately? It's a mix of old and new, and parts of it are downright bustling these days. And it's become a much more expensive place to live as it's become more built up.

Quote:
The downside of Lake County is its location. Its simply too far away from the city center IMO to make a daily commute like that feasible. Which is why its cheap, its far from the city center and still pretty rural
Tell that to the people who make that daily commute. I know several people who live in Clermont and commute to Lake Mary and Winter Park for work every day. A good portion of Lake County can no longer be called "rural."

Quote:
Rambling over, and done with you before a thread war gets started. I simply stated an opinion and you calling me wrong was simply uncalled for
OK, your opinion is yours but it's grossly inaccurate to the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
 
3,176 posts, read 3,840,407 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
How can a rail project succeed in a city like Orlando that is completely suburban sprawled? It will not work, at this point more roads would be the best solution.
We have about as many roads as we can build, unfortunately most that are any good are toll roads. But when you examine the cost of adding lanes to adding rail it's worth it to try to build options such as Sunrail. You are correct the area is horrendous when it comes to sprawl but I don't think it's too late to reverse the trend. This will probably never be Philly in terms on mass transit and urban density but it should for no reason continue on the path of urban sprawl. Hopefully in a few years I will be writing about the success and convenience of Sunrail with new projects on the horizon to compliment Sunrail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
5,441 posts, read 6,720,500 times
Reputation: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I didn't say all was, but not all of the eastern suburb residents are either.

Of course they aren't, all I meant was the eastern suburbs of Orlando are closer to downtown than the western ones, a lot of people will not live further away because of the gas prices. If I were to buy a house and had a job in downtown, I would choose Oviedo, or Waterford Lakes over Clermont just to drive a few less miles to work

They added another 100 parking spots to the park and ride and added bike racks last year. They are struggling with the fact that lot is nearing capacity, and looking for space for a second commuter lot. So again, your information is out of date/inaccurate.

Excellent, I'm glad that bus line is being used. Now Lynx should increase the service so that it runs all day long

Considering that I can name about 30 people I personally know who live in The Villages, Mount Dora, and Tavares and commute to Orlando for work every day, again, you are wrong. Stop conjecturing about something you have zero knowledge of.

So just because 30 people in Northern Lake County commute 35+ miles to work everyday, that automatically makes me wrong? I didnt say nobody did, I stated that few did.


No, that's you making incorrect assumptions based on your imagination rather than facts.

You have YET to prove a single thing you have said with ANY sort of facts

Have you ever even been in Clermont? Do you know a single person who lives here? My neighbor commutes to the Florida Mall for work every day for crying out loud! My other neighbor works at Winnie Palmer, and another splits his time between an office in Clermont and an office on Orange Ave.

I haven't been to Clermont in a very long time. So you know 3 friends who choose to waste a ridiculous amount of gas to get to work in Orlando, thats great. At least your neighbor who works at the FLA mall has a simple commute, a straight shot on the turnpike

Seriously, have you been to Lake County lately? It's a mix of old and new, and parts of it are downright bustling these days. And it's become a much more expensive place to live as it's become more built up.

It is STILL cheaper than Orange County, but I would rather have an older home and pay more to be close than a brand new one and be surrounded by cows

Tell that to the people who make that daily commute. I know several people who live in Clermont and commute to Lake Mary and Winter Park for work every day. A good portion of Lake County can no longer be called "rural."

True, but a good portion of Lake County STILL IS rural, if you even bothered to click on my link from C-D about Lake County you would see that it says 30% of Lake County residents are rural

OK, your opinion is yours but it's grossly inaccurate to the truth.

I wont talk too much about long commutes, As I have stated before, I commute 18 miles from my apartment in the northwest side of Las Vegas to my job on the Strip 5 even 6 days a week sometimes


Back to the topic at hand now....this thread war is over

Last edited by Keeper; 07-10-2011 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: report the posts if you were attacked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 AM
 
23,293 posts, read 30,366,959 times
Reputation: 10467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89;19933782
[I
Of course they aren't, all I meant was the eastern suburbs of Orlando are closer to downtown than the western ones, a lot of people will not live further away because of the gas prices. If I were to buy a house and had a job in downtown, I would choose Oviedo, or Waterford Lakes over Clermont just to drive a few less miles to work
[/i]

Do you not get it that the majority of the people in the western burbs bought their homes when gas was a third of the cost that it is now?

Quote:
Excellent, I'm glad that bus line is being used. Now Lynx should increase the service so that it runs all day long


It's a BRT commuter line, no need to run it all day. Instead they need to run regular fixed route local service between Clermont and Orlando, and between the north and south ends of Clermont to tie the routes together.


Quote:
So just because 30 people in Northern Lake County commute 35+ miles to work everyday, that automatically makes me wrong? I didnt say nobody did, I stated that few did.


You're missing the point. "Few" is inaccurate. Those are just people I know. MANY make that commute.

Quote:
You have YET to prove a single thing you have said with ANY sort of facts


So the FACT that I know people who make those commutes means it's not fact? See I'm stating fact, you're making assumptions based on nothing. Big difference!

Quote:
I haven't been to Clermont in a very long time. So you know 3 friends who choose to waste a ridiculous amount of gas to get to work in Orlando, thats great. At least your neighbor who works at the FLA mall has a simple commute, a straight shot on the turnpike


Do you not get it? People don't just sell their homes and move because gas prices go up. And those are just three on my street. Multiply that times 1000 streets in Clermont, not to mention the other western burbs like Winter Garden, Minneola, Groveland, etc. and that's a lot of commuters. Or do you think that they widened the turnpike for the people driving to DIsney?

Quote:
It is STILL cheaper than Orange County, but I would rather have an older home and pay more to be close than a brand new one and be surrounded by cows


Not all of it. And your inference that homes here are surrounded by cows proves my point, you don't know a damn thing about Lake County.


Quote:
True, but a good portion of Lake County STILL IS rural, if you even bothered to click on my link from C-D about Lake County you would see that it says 30% of Lake County residents are rural


Which means that 70% are suburb or even urban (yes, parts of Leesburg and Tavares are considered urban.) What does living in a rural or suburban area have to do with where you work, anyhow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top