U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 06:10 PM

21 posts, read 54,904 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are in our early 50's and going to retire. We live in the Northeast and are so tired of the cold, wind, rain, snow, ice, dirt, salt and the way our communities have become run down. We are looking for a more affluent way of life in a warmer climate. We are looking preferably for a 55+ community. Can anyone point me in a direction for a community? We don't want to be around a lot of kids since we've been there, done that. We are very active, like the ocean, biking, walking, shopping, dining out and just enjoying life. We have a daughter who is 21 and lives in North Carolina, so getting to the airport without a long commute is important to us. We want to be in a community where folks are friendly where we can meet our neighbors and make good friends to pal around with. We've been looking at Lake Mary, Aviedo, Sanford, and Winter Springs areas. Any others we should look at? Low crime is a must. We haven't visited them yet but are coming to Florida in December/January to look at the areas. The area which we live is most important. The house, we are comfortable we can locate easy enough. We are looking at 2004 and newer homes as they seem to have the upgrades we are looking for. How is the construction of these homes? I've heard that Shea builders are not so good. Is there anything we should specifically look at before we buy the home? Any particular insulation, foundation, etc.we should look for? We can spend up to 300,000. Also, I'd perfer not to have to drive far on large highways to get to shopping, dining, etc. Secondary roads where I don't have to go 70 would be nice! Thanks for all of your help. Everyone on here is very helpful and friendly!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,939,688 times
Look at Kings Ridge in Clermont. It seems to fit every one of your requirements. There are some homes built around 2004--I don't think any were built before 2000. Great community, lots of friendly people, drive your golf cart to grocery shopping, hair salon, a couple restaurants, liquor store, dentist, banking, the list goes on. A short car drive to pretty much anything else you'd want or need without highway driving.

Most of the residents are in an upper middle income bracket, it's very active, some of the younger residents still work. Huge clubhouse with a ton of activities, swimming tennis, golf, etc. 24 hour a day guards, very safe.

We live nearby right now, and plan on moving into Kings Ridge when we downsize in a couple decades.

It takes me 45 minutes to get to the airport during non-rush hour, a very, very easy drive.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM

20,211 posts, read 28,238,032 times
Check out the Lakes of Mt Dora. The town of Mt Dora is wonderful, reminiscent of a small New England town. It's quite safe and has plenty of local services. It's an easy drive to the Sanford-Orlando International Airport which may work for NC trips as Allegiant Airlines has service to the NC cities of Greensboro and Wilmington, as well as Greenville, SC which is near Asheville. Otherwise it's around an hour to the Orlando airport.

Florida Retirement Community Active Adult Communities - The Lakes of Mount Dora

What To Do In Mount Dora, FL - The Official Online Visitor's Center

Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 54,904 times
Thanks everyone. We are going to visit Lake Mary, Oviedo and Sanford in a few weeks. Will let you know what we think! Thanks for all of your input!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:47 PM

237 posts, read 615,908 times
happinow, Come on down and take a look, if you find an area that you think you'd like, find a place to rent. Many have moved to Florida and were not ready for the traffic, noise, sun, heat, insects and animals. If you have the time to rent, you'll find out how the drive is to restaurants, stores, entertainment areas and the airport(s).

I live in a +55 community named Solivita. The oldest section is 10 years old. The construction is cement block and very sturdy. We're about 30 miles south of Orlando and most attractions are in driving distance. We're about an hour and a half drive from either coast. We have lived down here going on 4 years and are very happy where we live.

You'll want a house that has block construction (sturdy enough to resist storms and termites), extruded polystyrene insulation in the walls, attic insulation, radiant barrier and Low E windows.

Do your homework and find the area that you are looking for down here. Most of the folks here are friendly and there are plenty of activities to get involved with to keep you busy.

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 AM

189 posts, read 426,587 times
Hi! I agree about Kings Ridge & Solivita.
Lakes of Mt. Dora has had some 'issues'. Can't remember exactly...but I think Orlando Sentinel newspaper online has had a few articles past few years about change of owners/construction issues, I think???

Del Webb Orlando is in Davenport (& had past 'issues' which seem resolved now). Ridgewood Lakes is there also. Not sure they meet all of your criteria....But maybe worth a look-see?

I am getting a WEALTH of info from reading the local Central Fla newspapers online.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 AM

399 posts, read 873,298 times
Why limit yourself to 55+?
Choose an area that has a lot to offer.
My wife meets many people from the The Villages here in Orlando.
They say they come to Orlando for things to do ie theater, museums, culture, gardens, restaurants, sporting events, concerts and the list goes on.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Smile Kings Ridge?

Re-activating this thread for any updated info out there??? We have now visited a few communities that seem to cater to the 55-65 crowd in the Orlando area but haven't been to Kings Ridge yet.

Kings Ridge is starting to sound better & better. But we are in our late 50's. A realtor in that area said it has 'older' demographics than we'd be comfortable with. But maybe there has been a 'turn-over' to younger boomers like us?

Here at home, most families our age are gone from the neighborhood ...young families moved in & we are the official 'old folks' at 55 years young LOL! So we don't want to retire to a community where we still feel a bit out of step.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM

20,211 posts, read 28,238,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriweather View Post
Re-activating this thread for any updated info out there??? We have now visited a few communities that seem to cater to the 55-65 crowd in the Orlando area but haven't been to Kings Ridge yet.

Kings Ridge is starting to sound better & better. But we are in our late 50's. A realtor in that area said it has 'older' demographics than we'd be comfortable with. But maybe there has been a 'turn-over' to younger boomers like us?

Here at home, most families our age are gone from the neighborhood ...young families moved in & we are the official 'old folks' at 55 years young LOL! So we don't want to retire to a community where we still feel a bit out of step.
You might look at Victoria Gardens in DeLand. I don't know your price point but know it's a beautiful, safe area with plenty to do in/around it.

Victoria Gardens | Active Adult Living's Best Retirement Resort Lifestyle

Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Thanks but driving time/distance to a future p/t job at WDW is important. We'd like to stick to a 30-40 commute absolute MAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or