U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM

16 posts, read 64,635 times

Advertisements

Hi
I just wanted to get some inside opinions on Harmony, FL
I'm looking for a family friendly town, good schools, low crime not in the middle of the city, and not a long commute to Lake Nona Medical City by the new Nemours hospital.
We have two small children, 3 large dogs and I'm going to be boarding my horses...
What is everyone's opinion??
Thanks so much
Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM

953 posts, read 1,250,987 times
Hopefully one of the 10 people living there will hear about the internet and can reply to this post.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM

263 posts, read 735,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Hopefully one of the 10 people living there will hear about the internet and can reply to this post.

This sums it up pretty well.

We notice Harmony every time we pass it on the way to Orlando because it looks so odd. It's not in the middle of the city or really close to anything at all, except they have a gas station now. There is a large high school, but I can't imagine how they keep it running. The pop. sign says 12,000 people live in Harmony. Even if that were true, how many of those are high school students? My husband compares it to something out of a Dr. Suess movie. Perfect little place, in the middle of nothing. I think it looks like something out of the "Stepford Wives", too perfect and controlled, almost artificial. I have been told it was supposed to some great new development, and then it failed like the rest of the housing market. It's listed on google maps as a "master planned unincorporated community". The nearest walmart is 11 miles away. Target is 19-22 miles away. That's a long way to go for groceries, unless you are already going to St. Cloud.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 PM

105 posts, read 218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyerin View Post
Hi
I just wanted to get some inside opinions on Harmony, FL
I'm looking for a family friendly town, good schools, low crime not in the middle of the city, and not a long commute to Lake Nona Medical City by the new Nemours hospital.
We have two small children, 3 large dogs and I'm going to be boarding my horses...
What is everyone's opinion??
Thanks so much
Jenny
You should look around NorthLake Park before Harmony. Good schools, very close to the medical city, similar home styles, and closer to nearly everything you'd want. Plus a great sense of community.

Harmony seems great, but it's a pretty long commute to the medical city up Narcoossee (and will just get longer & longer with more development), and right now it's a long way from anything.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 40,662 times
I live in Harmony and I will say that no other community can compare to here. We are like a step back in time. Kids can play outdoors without worrying about someone trying to abduct them or hurt them in any way. We have numerous dog areas and our new horse area is awesome. Yes, it is hard sometimes being this far out, but you get use to it and it's not so bad. My husband works on Narcoossee and that is only about 10 miles south of the Medical Center and it's only a 20-25 minute commute. We are in our late 20s, early 30s and we love it here. There are plenty of young people and children. It's a great community that lots of people around here are jealous of. So, from a REAL harmony resident, I say come and take a look and you'll love what you see. I grew up in Kentucky and moved down here with my native born south Floridian husband a little over a year ago. This is the only place in Florida I feel comfortable calling home. Lol, we even have an ice cream truck that makes the round every feel days. So, I guess we are kind of like the 1950 communities you can't find anymore in this old world. There is even church services held every Sunday at the High School.

God Bless,
Tracie Mason

Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM

16 posts, read 64,635 times
Default harmony

It seems like people love it or hate it

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM

33 posts, read 108,184 times
I haven't been there yet and intend to do so next August, during my trip to Florida. I'm from France, from a new, Disney/French State developped town called Val d'Europe. we had the same problems at first: people used to say everything looked fake, unreal, just because the houses etc are gorgeous, the streets are clean and the parks, gardens are well taken care of, contrary to what happens in some cities in the suburb of Paris.
I'm sure I'll love Harmony. Isn't it like Celebration?
what differences do you see between both?

PS/ I've just checked their site and it clearly says that Harmony is home to 1,000 residents...not 12,000.

Last edited by magnyseb; 07-12-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 40,662 times
Harmony is like Celebration, just not as developed yet. In the coming years, we should be were Celebration is. The home prices will sky rocket then though, so now is the time to buy here. The main difference between Harmony and Celebration is that we don't have a problem with tourist coming in constantly like Celebration does. For me and my family, we like it that way. We like our little clean, safe, friendly community. Our homes are beautiful and well maintained.

The CDD does run from 1800 a year and up. It's included in your taxes though and it doesn't really put that much of a hardship on you. With the homes being priced low around here that helps. We currently rent here, but are under contract for a 2/2 home that we are only paying 78,000 for. We are first time home buyers, but this house works for us right now. The CDD for our new house will 1800.00 and the HOA is only around 40 a year. I look at it this way, if we didn't have a CDD our properties wouldn't be as nice as they are. You pay to keep everything looking great, which I am willing to do. There is new construction homes from 144,900 to 180,000. These are large two story homes and they are just gorgeous located right near our elementary/middle school. You can find large homes being resold here as well, just the market is very competitive and you have to go in aggressive to find something.

The condo/townhomes are located in Ashley Park. They also have a CDD, but it runs around 1400 a year and the HOA is 300 a month. It's really a better deal to buy a house, but if you can't find one there is the option of these. There is a 3/2 condo on the market right now, 1600 sq. ft., for 74000. Our condo buildings only house three units each. The front two units are two story homes both 3/2 and really beautiful (one is 1600 sq ft and the other 1800 sq ft). Then on the back above everyone's garages there is a 2/2 unit (1300 sq ft). The 2/2 has single car garage and the 3/2's have two car garages. Lol, we live in the 2/2 unit right now. We don't care for the constant stairs everyday, but we love our gorgeous golf course views.

Hope this helps you some. If you want anymore information fill free to email me at tracie.mason2@yahoo.com. I can answer a lot of your questions and if I can't, I can get you in touch with one of the main Realtor's that work here in Harmony. There are two ladies that deal with a great deal of our properties and they are the sweetest, nicest Realtor's I have ever met.

God bless and have a great day!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 21,538 times
We live in Harmony and it is one of the best places around. The schools are amazing (I'm a teacher with a a Masters in Educational Leadership) and are one of the best I have seen in Central Florida. We have three children ages 17, 9 months and one on the way and could not imagine raising our kids anywhere else. We moved from Avalon Park in Orlando and could not be happier with the move. We bought our house a year ago. Living in Harmony is just as the name implies......you live in Harmony. We have restaurant, horses, boats for us to use in our private community lake (my husband loves to take them out to go fishing), playgrounds, festivals, daily activities and so much more. On top of that we will soon have a minor league stadium, a five star hotel, and shopping plaza. As other said, it is a commute from other areas but the commute is so worth it just to be able to live here. I would not trade Harmony for any other community.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 AM

105 posts, read 218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittana View Post
we will soon have a minor league stadium, a five star hotel, and shopping plaza.

Does that mean you'll have a minor league team?

I'm just curious: do you the timeline for these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando